The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » "Dealt" -- Documentary about Richard Turner (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
"Dealt," a documentary film about card expert Richard Turner, makes its world premiere at the South by Southwest Film Festival today. Here's an article that includes an exclusive clip from the film.

http://deadline.com/2017/03/dealt-sxsw-c......2039755/
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Cool. Been looking forward to this Smile
MultiSlacker
View Profile
New user
GA
59 Posts

Profile of MultiSlacker
Can't wait to watch this one.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
I've had the pleasure of seeing him perform several times.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
goochelen
View Profile
New user
Hexagonia
76 Posts

Profile of goochelen
Does anybody have an update when this movie will be available for viewing or purchase ?
I am not sure the movie will be shown in theaters in France.
Thanks
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
Last I heard it was going to be in theaters and streaming in October.
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Opens in NY and LA and On Demand Oct 20. I saw a press screening and it's excellent. It's about so much more than just magic.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
This movie is very good, and available now from Comcast On Demand for $6.99. As Landmark says, "it's much more than magic." Turner is also featured elsewhere in the Café: Workers (where you can find an hour you-tube performance), gambling spot, magic names, et.al. The movie also gets into his personal life (he's a serious card-hoarder), and has a number of humorous spots. Enough, I don't want to spoil. Watch it. Lynn
MatrixAddict
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of MatrixAddict
I meant to catch a showing and missed it. Seems like a very interesting story.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
I should add that if you have Comcast, there is a free 7 minute preview/trailer! I should say this is not a magic video. There is magic for sure; but it's more about his life, how he got into magic, etc. (Turner's lectures, performances etc are available; some even on youtube). But I think its of interest to all magicians as well as the general public. Lynn
ActionJack
View Profile
Regular user
Pacific NW
120 Posts

Profile of ActionJack
I rented this on Comcast a couple of weeks ago and loved it. Being new to this forum I have to admit that I learned about it from reading a recent article in Genii magazine. Besides Mr. Turner being beyond highly skilled with cards I thought the film was done very well and was an amazing story of his life. My daughter who is in college and not typically a huge magic fan ended up watching it with me and really enjoyed it as well.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I have Comcast too and rented it last month.

Quote:
On Apr 20, 2018, Poof-Daddy wrote:
The article on Richard Turner is amazing. I watched "Dealt" on pay per view thru my cable service last month and thought it was the best Documentary "overall" that I have watched in years. He has been an inspiration to me for over 25 years and it was great to see his full story made into a movie followed by him Fooling Penn and Teller on "Fool Us" plus now, this amazing article. Well Done Genii.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1048 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
"Dealt" is also on Hulu.
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
576 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
Well worth seeing.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
If you don't mind a plug, here's a radio interview I did with the director of the movie, Luke Korem, about the making the film:

https://jackshalom.net/2017/11/24/dealt-......-turner/
msmaster
View Profile
Special user
522 Posts

Profile of msmaster
Landmark / Jack - thank you, just listened to your Korem interview - well done, informative and entertaining..
willmillar27
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of willmillar27
This is now on Netflix too. A great documentary and very moving in places. Always good to see the great Dai Vernon too!
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Jan 3, 2019, willmillar27 wrote:
This is now on Netflix too. A great documentary and very moving in places. Always good to see the great Dai Vernon too!

How are you seeing this on Netflix? I searched it and it is not showing up for me. Is it a physical DVD sub and not the streaming you are talking about?
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Anton4
View Profile
New user
Rensselaer, NY
56 Posts

Profile of Anton4
Maybe Netflix has different content depending on the region, much like HBO East and HBO West. Dealt is not showing up on Netflix on the East coast.
alexgutz
View Profile
New user
San Antonio, Texas
9 Posts

Profile of alexgutz
Richard is our Honored Guest at the 2019 TAOM Convention in San Antonio, Texas during Labor Day weekend....Aug 30---Sept 2, 2019.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » "Dealt" -- Documentary about Richard Turner (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL