The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Indentify vanishing bird cage (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Austins magical creations
View Profile
New user
Hopkinsville KY
12 Posts

Profile of Austins magical creations
Could someone indentify this bird cage. I got it about 30 years ago used and I don't know how old it was when I got it. The wire bars are spun.

Thanks
Kevin

Click here to view attached image.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Kevin:

That appears to me to be a Lindhorst-style Birdcage. They are extremely well-made and sturdy. They originated in St. Louis.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
This is where the importance of the instruction sheets help identify the manufacturer. Without that, it is impossible to go any further then to say, it is made in the "style" of the Lindhorst bird cages, as Rainbow guy mentioned.

Looks like brass bars, and you photographed it upside down. It also does not look like it has been taken care of, with all the corrosion of the metals.

These Lindhorst style cages have been made with the same design by a number of different metal craftsman / artisans over the years.
View Profile
New user
Hopkinsville KY
12 Posts

Thanks for your help Bill and Rainboguy.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I have one that I believe is identical. Silver-colored square rod with brass bars. I was told mine is possibly an older Owen. Definitely a Lindhorst style. I don't see metal corrosion, just some tarnishing of the brass.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Kevin:

My Pleasure. More than a few great Magicians come from your part of the country........and welcome to The Magic Café.

FYI, to the best of my knowledge, most of the Lindhorst Vanishing Bird Cages were sold by the late Gene DeVoe of St. Louis who purchased Lindhorst's Magic Shop from him following his death in 1954.

Here is some additional information about Will Lindhorst:

http://geniimagazine.com/magicpedia/Will_Lindhorst

For what it's worth, Gene DeVoe was my first mentor in Magic way back when.

Kevin, I think you will find a lot of experienced and extremely knowledgeable Magicians here who are always willing to help. Michael Baker and Bill Hegbli know their stuff!
View Profile
New user
Hopkinsville KY
12 Posts

Yes there have been some very good Magicians from this area. I had the pleasure of my good friend Bill Boley that helped and mentored me amoung a few others that me in the area.
This is a great source of information and its great for others to help and share there knowledge.
If anyone would be so kind I have a small production cage that I can't find any information on and would like to identify.
P.s. The key ring on top is not original.

Click here to view attached image.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
That is the Hoffmann-style production cage. I have a handful of them here. It appears that yours is partially painted red. Some of mine are, too.

This style has been around for over a hundred years. It is described in Hoffmann's Modern Magic published in 1876. These have been made by many makers through the years. It would be hard to put a date on it, without any documentation. These are even being made overseas now.

There may be experts on these, but I'm not claiming that title.

Here is some that were on Martinka's auction many years ago. Even they don't state specific makers or dates.

https://www.martinka.com/martinka/auctio......?id=7436

https://www.martinka.com/martinka/auctio......?id=9521
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Kevin:

That Hoffman-style cage you have looks like it is in very nice condition. If it were me, I would hold on to it.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Yeah, there were cheaply chromed copies from India that cost 40, before that the originals went for 250 or 300.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I believe it is a Gene DeVoe Cage. He made them with the Aluminum and Brass bars in the Lyndhurst style.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2017, hugmagic wrote:
I believe it is a Gene DeVoe Cage. He made them with the Aluminum and Brass bars in the Lyndhurst style.

That's good info. Thanks!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Or it could be a real Lindhurst cage, as Gene DeVoe purchased the Lindhorst magic business and rights.

I never knew that until I read it on MagicPedia, just yesterday. If we could only go back in time, what we know now because of the Internet.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Indentify vanishing bird cage (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL