The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Coaching (52 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3..7..10..13..16..19..22~23~24 [Next]
cafecheckers
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of cafecheckers
How many of you have pursued personal coaching? Last fall I decided it was time for me to do so and I am very glad I did. I took Mindpro up on his introductory offer and then rolled into a yearly contract. Speaking to Mindpro on a routine basis on ways to grow my business keeps me focused and directed. Last week I was in Las Vegas and Mindpro was kind enough to make time in his schedule to meet with me in person! When my brother and I first joined in the conversations here - nearly six years ago, the thought that we would have evolved so far never crossed our minds. Looking back, it seems crazy.

I am thankful that so many here share advice and people like Mindpro offer products and services at affordable prices. It opens up possibilities I could never explore on my own. Mindpro has such a broad range of business and life experiences to share. Speaking with him allows me to consider avenues to grow my business well outside my current reality.

Being that not many here refer to coaches or coaching advice they have received, it makes me think not many have hired coaches. I wonder what everyone's thoughts are on the topic of utilizing coaching to advance ones business?
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
671 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
Caféheckers,

Congratulations on your success. If I actually knew who Mindpro is, could verify his accomplishments, and knew what he offers, I might have an interest in his program. Nonetheless I'm glad you've received value for your time, money, and effort.

I think personal coaching is one of the most valuable things one can do to accelerate success. Last year alone I invested in two coaching programs. The value I received was far greater than my monetary investment, and that investment was sizable. Although I've been running a successful magic business for over 20 years, my business looks very different from the way it looked 2 short years ago. By design, I'm doing fewer gigs this year, but earning much more that I ever have before. In large part it's because of the coaching I've received, the accountability to my coach, and the actions that I took.

This year I plan on investing on two different coaching programs. One for my magic business and one for my speaking business. Once again these investments will be sizable, not only in money, but in time. I feel confident that the value I'll receive will far outweigh my initial investment. Time will tell. I've promoted the coaching programs of others from whom I've received value, and will continue to do so in the future.

As a coach myself, I've coached others on their magic businesses. I've seen my students go from struggling to making a six-figure income in a few short years. Last year was the first time I offered a formal, long-term, personal coaching program. It was a one-year commitment, and the growth I saw was amazing and gratifying. In another month or so, I'll be promoting that coaching program to others. It will be a sizable investment, but compared to the value I believe my students will receive, the coaching will be priceless.

Personal coaching is no-brainer decision for me, but one must do their research to make sure their coach not only talks the talk but walks the walk. There are too many people in this world who teach theory. They teach things they've learned from others, but haven't done themselves. It's the whole fake it till you make it philosophy.

One thing I take into consideration when investing in a coach is I make sure my coach has similar values as I do. For instance, I'm a huge believer in treating others with respect, and I wouldn't want to support the work of someone who is disrespectful or condescending to others. A coach will impact one's mindset positively or negatively. It's important to do one's homework before investing one's time, money, and effort to ensure you select the right coach who will expand your mind, business, and income.

Respectfully,

Lou Serrano
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Here's a thought.... rather than paying one lump sum to a personal coach over a year, you could potentially spread that out and have multiple "personal consultations" that would cover a range of topics and views.

It depends on where you are in your business and where you want to end up as well. If having a single coach guide you step by step as you build your business is something that will help you.. great. I can see that being a huge help to a lot of people.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Not to offend Mindpro, or Lou certainly, but I have never been a fan of the process.

It helps some to focus, and to motivate them and to look at their business in a way they might not normally look at it from. I get that, and as Thomas says if it works for you great.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
cafecheckers
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of cafecheckers
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2017, lou serrano wrote:
Congratulations on your success. If I actually knew who Mindpro is, could verify his accomplishments, and knew what he offers, I might have an interest in his program. Nonetheless I'm glad you've received value for your time, money, and effort.

Thanks Lou. Based upon Mindpro's numerous and extensive posts here as well as the products of his I own, I was very comfortable hiring him as a coach. My initial concern was time. I am a full time college student as well as running my business. I was concerned that working with a coach would overwhelm me. I am happy to say that thus far, it has worked out extremely well. Your point about the investment being more than just money is a great one.

Quote:
I think personal coaching is one of the most valuable things one can do to accelerate success. Last year alone I invested in two coaching programs. The value I received was far greater than my monetary investment, and that investment was sizable. Although I've been running a successful magic business for over 20 years, my business looks very different from the way it looked 2 short years ago. By design, I'm doing fewer gigs this year, but earning much more that I ever have before. In large part it's because of the coaching I've received, the accountability to my coach, and the actions that I took.

Great points here. I hope I am in a similiar situation, where 2 years from now I can look back with such progress.

Quote:

As a coach myself, I've coached others on their magic businesses. I've seen my students go from struggling to making a six-figure income in a few short years. Last year was the first time I offered a formal, long-term, personal coaching program. It was a one-year commitment, and the growth I saw was amazing and gratifying. In another month or so, I'll be promoting that coaching program to others. It will be a sizable investment, but compared to the value I believe my students will receive, the coaching will be priceless.

Good luck - let us know when it becomes availalable and a bit more about it.

Quote:
Personal coaching is no-brainer decision for me, but one must do their research to make sure their coach not only talks the talk but walks the walk. There are too many people in this world who teach theory. They teach things they've learned from others, but haven't done themselves. It's the whole fake it till you make it philosophy.

One thing I take into consideration when investing in a coach is I make sure my coach has similar values as I do. For instance, I'm a huge believer in treating others with respect, and I wouldn't want to support the work of someone who is disrespectful or condescending to others. A coach will impact one's mindset positively or negatively. It's important to do one's homework before investing one's time, money, and effort to ensure you select the right coach who will expand your mind, business, and income.

To me, here is where it gets a bit tricky. I chose Mindpro not because he has already done what I intend to do, but rather because I believe he has the broad experience and skill sets to advise me on better and more detailed ways to get there. Taking advice from others who have accomplished what you are trying to achieve has its own pitfalls. They likely have done it at another time and place than you are planning on doing it. Furthermore, they are doing it with their own personal skill sets, interests and ambitions. If these do not match up to your own, your results will not be the same.

I believe your coach should expand your mind above all. I agree with that.

thomasR- I agree, it depends where in the process you are. For me, I need consistancy as I am looking for an advisor more than anything. I am not sure how Mindpro works with others, but for me it is not a step by step process we follow, but more of discussions on every aspect of my business - both long and short term. I have not worked with other coaches, so I do not know how it compares to other styles or arrangements.

Danny- the need/desire for a coach may depend on one's personal experiences and environment. I did not grow up in a family of entertainers, nor are entertainers in my circle of friends - so for me, it made perfect sense to gain insights from someone who has done so for years and also ran such agencies.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
So I'll ask this.. why do you feel like you need a coach? where do you want to be in 1 years time that you don't think you can reach without a coach?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2017, thomasR wrote:
So I'll ask this.. why do you feel like you need a coach? where do you want to be in 1 years time that you don't think you can reach without a coach?

This is always my question with the process.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
671 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
I'm a huge fan of MMA (Mixed Martial Arts), and the UFC in particular. Every fighter and certainly every champion has a coach. Actually they all have several coaches helping them in each facet of martial arts. Most of the fighters either wants to be a champion or they want to hold on to their championship status.

I'm not a fan of golfing, but I do know who is the most successful golfer of all time. Tiger Woods. Tiger Woods has a coach. Why would he need a coach? Only Tiger Woods can answer that question.

One of my goals is to create a 7-figure yearly income. My coaches are helping me get there. I certainly don't expect that to happen in one year's time, but every year I get a little bit closer to my goal.

One thing that I've noticed in all my years in business is that the most successful people I know all have coaches. The ones who don't haven't created anywhere near the success I'm striving for. I often teach that one of the quickest ways to achieve success is to emulate the actions of those who've achieved the success you seek. I first learned that concept as a child, and later learned the concept through Tony Robbins.

The right coach can offer insight from an objective space, the right coach will hold you accountable, and the right coach will inspire to you achieve much more than you initially thought possible.

Respectfully,

Lou Serrano
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
There is a huge difference in sports and business. Many if not most do well in business without coaches.

In my experience almost none of the successful people I have come across have had coaches. They are self motivated, self starters.

It comes from within you to be a success. Coaching is not some magic bullet.

Hey if it works for you and you need it then great you found a method. But the sports comparison is apples and oranges. Every successful doctor I know went to college. So what? Do you have to go to college to be a success? Of course not.

Inspiration comes from within. Don't rely on others for it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Quote:
On Mar 20, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
There is a huge difference in sports and business. Many if not most do well in business without coaches.

I disagree with this. Most people in business fail. Most businesses fail. This is especially true of business having to do with art and entertainment.
Quote:
In my experience almost none of the successful people I have come across have had coaches. They are self motivated, self starters.

I agree with this, but that does not mean that adding a coach to the mix does not increase ones chance of success.
Quote:
It comes from within you to be a success. Coaching is not some magic bullet.

Very true!
[quote
Hey if it works for you and you need it then great you found a method. But the sports comparison is apples and oranges. Every successful doctor I know went to college. So what? Do you have to go to college to be a success? Of course not.

Inspiration comes from within. Don't rely on others for it. [/quote]
Going to college increases ones chance of success. That is why many industries seek those who have attained a college degree. It makes their talent pool smaller when hiring, but statistically they have found it to be a predictor of success.

I disagree a bit about some of what Lou shared. Great coaches have not always attained great personal success in that which they coach. They are great because they are knowledgeable about the factors that will result in success and can identify the strengths in others that can be leveraged better as well as weaknesses that must be corrected or at least acknowledged in strategic planning.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Tiger Woods has a golf coach... That's like a magician hiring a sleight of hand coach.
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
671 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
Quote:
On Mar 20, 2017, charliecheckers wrote:

I disagree a bit about some of what Lou shared. Great coaches have not always attained great personal success in that which they coach. They are great because they are knowledgeable about the factors that will result in success and can identify the strengths in others that can be leveraged better as well as weaknesses that must be corrected or at least acknowledged in strategic planning.

If this is where you say we're in disagreement, then I don't think we disagree at all. It's impossible to know all my thoughts on the subject by reading a few short paragraphs.

Wishing you much success!

Lou Serrano
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Wow, some varying perspectives here as usual. The reality is many seek a coach or mentor for many and multiple reasons. While every single person I've worked with over the last 30 years of coaching, consulting, training and mentoring have each had their personal and individual reasons and purposes for seeking assistance (I do personal coaching not pre-specified general curriculum), it could also be said that they all are also seeking assistance in "entertainment business" generally.

Also one of the great benefits of a professional coach is creating a structure, system and perspective that often has not been obtainable on their own. Many times someone may think they need one thing where in reality they actually need something else (almost always) or several others things. When I hear someone say "I need to get more bookings" or "I need better marketing," I can almost immediately identify that as another or additional issues are the true reality. It is rare, if not impossible for someone to be doing everything right or possible and still not yield the results they are seeking. So often it is first properly identifying and diagnosing the true issue or area of concern, then creating the steps to address it.

"Coaching" also allows more direct, personal learning in your specific areas of interest exactly as it pertains to your business in your specific area in the specific markets you serve, are serving or will serve. No book, course or program that I have ever seen, offers anything even remotely close to this. It allows a more quicker, more direct and focused path for the individual. It greatly shortens and reduces the learning and implementation curve. Results can easily be measurable, unlike many books or courses. You have a personal coach to answer questions, analyze and identify progress, things you are doing right as well as those things you are doing wrong or could do better or differently, that would take you years to learn and experience on your own. That's another part, which is you are benefiting from the coach's experience, which can prevent you from many, many setbacks, loss of time, money and effort, as well as get an insight you simply can't or won't get on your own.

There are soooo many things that I see everyday. The first being someone thinking their show is perceived or accepted one way, when in reality it may be completely opposite. Performers that listen to and believe what a handful of others tell them or offer praise after a show, which may be in stark contrast to the reality. Coaching allows for an honest insight and understanding that I have yet see offered or possible by any other means.

These are just a few reasons that are only the tip of the iceberg. There is so much more, not to mention specifics to each discipline of entertainer and their specific visions and desires. Many performers have skipped the so important creation of the foudational level, which makes almost everythig they have done based on this wonky at best if not completely responsible for many of their issues and problems.

Also, personally speaking, I know the reason I have done well is that I don't have a specified course from which I coach, and I am not coaching based only on my personal experience, but rather from an industry perspective and position. This is the most valuable element, which again, I have not seen offered and only a certain amount of performers truly understand this importance and difference.

It's sad that after years of participation here on so many topics, some people like Lou would even question my background, experience and credentials. I have never understood this. Do you think I have made up such detailed and specific content almost daily for years? It would literally be impossible to speak as specifically and detailed as I do about so many related topics on a professional levels without such experience. Now I do understand, as when I was invited to join here, that I was at the the time, and may still be the only one here with professional experience in all eight areas of professional entertainment, allowing me to operate and contribute from the industry perspective rather than personal perspectives as most others do. Still, I find it quite amazing, and it is often one of the first things those that work with me discover almost immediately. Those that come to my live events, trainings and seminars see of of this as well. It's addressed in many of the over 30 professional resources I've released, including the five I have made available to this community over the last two years.

It is a personal choice, and truth be told all coaches are not created equally. The vast majority should not be coaches (and are NOT truly coaches), as they are only "coaching" their own perspectives and beliefs or perhaps what they feel has worked well for them. This is not one size fits all. A coach is also invested in the daily efforts, progress and success of each student. This is why having a six, eight or ten week course can't simply fit the bill for many performers. Sure some will pay to see the "coaches" opinions and hope to pick up a few nuggets, but many in retrospect also claim they wouldn't do it again based on what they now know. Now I'm not referring to Lou or anyone specific here, just making an overall statement from those that I have researched and from my many students that have purchased from these other "coaches" and gurus have said consistently. Again, this is my business so I know who offers what, how they work and who is offering the goods and who is just selling an over-hyped info-product (that too should be great cause for concern, but is its own topic entirely).

Coaching should be based on knowledge and experience. No, not every coach should be expected to have mastered specific disciplines. It is not necessary to do so to obtain the knowledge required to assist and help others as long as there is a complete understanding and experience. I am not a kids magician, yet I would venture to say I have may have booked more kids magicians shows than likely any other kids magician on here with only a few possible exceptions. Did I perform all of these events myself? No. But that's not what I'm teaching/coaching. I'm teaching the business behind being (in this example) a kids performer, of which yes, I have vast experience from my agencies. So if you went only from the perspective of "is he a master kids magician performer?" You would falsely be setting yourself up to believe "no" and thereby false convince yourself that I could not be of assistance to you. Again, false perceptions of many performers. Yet to those kids performers that have taken my coaching will easily and quickly tell you, they have learned more from me and my coaching, often much that has never been shared or found before, usually in a very short period of time. The only difference is I offer this information on my terms, in the proper step by step sequential order, only once the proper foundation is in place for it to operate properly, efficiently and most effectively as desired.

Yes, along the way, throughout the process, I teach my system or parts thereof, which also separates my offering from all others and creates the results desired. One must commit to the process to achieve their desired outcome and results. I only accept about 15-20% of those that apply for my coaching and there is an extensive application for those interested. You see, when I accept a student or consulting client, my name becomes attached to their success. What I teach is the art and science of live entertainment business. Trust me, no one is going to be affiliated with me I do not wish to work with or do not feel I can help or offer benefits and results. This is also why I offered the 30 day coaching deal last fall to allow those interested a better understanding of what coaching is and how it can be beneficial to them and their performing business.

Many haven't sought coaching because they don't understand it, have a wrong perception, aren't honest with themselves or aren't willing to commit to the process (no, it doesn't work itself, no such thing as "self-working" business or "putting your business on auto-pilot" as gurus try to sell you. It is not for everyone. However, once properly understood, coaching, consulting, training and mentoring can be the most beneficial and valuable tool in your business toolbelt. Also for many, it improves the level, quality and professionalism of their show/performance too as a byproduct result.
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
671 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
Mindpro,

I agree with everything you just said.

As for my comment questioning your background, credentials, experience, etc., I still don't know who you are, so don't take it personally, but I never make a significant investment in anything or anyone without first doing my homework. If others know who you are and are receiving value from your offerings, then I'm happy for them and you, and I wish you and your clients continued success!

Respectfully,

Lou Serrano
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 20, 2017, lou serrano wrote:
If this is where you say we're in disagreement, then I don't think we disagree at all. It's impossible to know all my thoughts on the subject by reading a few short paragraphs.

Wishing you much success!

Lou Serrano

I stand corrected. I apologize for misinterpreting what you wrote.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

I encouraged my brother to seek Mindpro's services for many of the reasons Mindpro described above. My initial thought was that he do so upon graduation. I was not sure at that time if he was ready for a coach, let alone one with such high expectations of his students. It was my brothers decision to seek coaching last fall, while still only a sophomore in college. He desires to take the business we started and take it to new levels. I have participated in some of the sessions and can speak to the benefit I see in my brother having this type of coaching. While it is a lot for him to pay, it is not much for a coach to make. I am sure it is out of genuine passion that most coaches of this type offer their services. I am not speaking of the packaged offerings, but rather the one on one session opportunity. My brother views it as an opportunity of a life time.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Mar 20, 2017, lou serrano wrote:
Mindpro,

I agree with everything you just said.

As for my comment questioning your background, credentials, experience, etc., I still don't know who you are, so don't take it personally, but I never make a significant investment in anything or anyone without first doing my homework. If others know who you are and are receiving value from your offerings, then I'm happy for them and you, and I wish you and your clients continued success!

Respectfully,

Lou Serrano

What you aren't getting the memos from the couple of members here that enjoy sharing such private information for sport and personal agendas? Perhaps you gotta opt-in, lol?

No offense taken Lou. Like you, most do not know me (or perhaps realize they do) when they start my coaching either, but do so based on my knowledge and shared experience. Sometimes I think some actually join my coaching just to find out who I am, lol). It's like buying a book or other resource, if one only buys from those they know they may be missing out on a lot of great information. I rarely know people who I learned or bought from, and it was their information that may have created a relationship based on shared interests.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
What is meant by "most people in business fail"?

Here is a news flash. If you need someone to motivate you coaching on any level is going to fail. Not because of the coach, not because of the process but because of you.

The idea that a coach has access to done secret information you just can't find on your own is ludicrous. There is copious amounts of information out there. No coach has a magic bullet for you.

But if you feel you need it, then go for it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
671 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
Quote:
On Mar 20, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:

Here is a news flash. If you need someone to motivate you coaching on any level is going to fail. Not because of the coach, not because of the process but because of you.

The idea that a coach has access to done secret information you just can't find on your own is ludicrous. There is copious amounts of information out there. No coach has a magic bullet for you.

But if you feel you need it, then go for it.

On this point I agree with you 100%. Motivation does come from within.

Lou Serrano
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Absolutely.

And by the way Charlie with your idea that most fall in business you must base that on those who have little success when trying.

Well according to that theory most coaching students fail. Apply your theory consistently.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Coaching (52 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..7..10..13..16..19..22~23~24 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL