The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Lu Brent Accodrion Bill (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MERose
View Profile
New user
Maryland
54 Posts

Profile of MERose
Hope someone has some info on this. I purchased a magic collection a couple years ago and there was a dollar bill that had been cut as shown in the photo. It was labeled "Lu Brent Accordion Bill." I am familiar with Lu Brent but I cannot find anything on this Accordion Bill. I'm wondering if this is something Lu Brent came up with on his own or if it was merely something he made and is someone else's idea. It does not appear to be a trick, just an oddity, sort of an origami like item. When the bill is stretched out, it will snap back into position on its own when released. Anyone know if this is a Lu Brent concept or what???

Thanks!

Mike

Click here to view attached image.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I have such a bill, not sure why I bought it, I guess as a novelty. I never stretched mine out as much as you did for your picture. It is amazingly stretchy, but I would also think too fragile to do much with it

I have no documentation for it, but I have some info on who I bought it from.

Back in 2009, I bought this from a (retired?) magician that was emailing lists of other people's used magic. The only name I have for him is "mrhumble". That name might have been part of his email address.

Soooo, maybe someone else would have more specific information about him, and maybe mrhumble would know more about it, but I'm doubtful.

Maybe someone like R. Neale, or D Parr (of The Magic Mirror) would be familiar with this cut bill.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2017, John Long wrote:
I have such a bill, not sure why I bought it, I guess as a novelty. I never stretched mine out as much as you did for your picture. It is amazingly stretchy, but I would also think too fragile to do much with it

I have no documentation for it, but I have some info on who I bought it from.

Back in 2009, I bought this from a (retired?) magician that was emailing lists of other people's used magic. The only name I have for him is "mrhumble". That name might have been part of his email address.

Soooo, maybe someone else would have more specific information about him, and maybe mrhumble would know more about it, but I'm doubtful.

Maybe someone like R. Neale, or D Parr (of The Magic Mirror) would be familiar with this cut bill.

John

Almost sounds like Paul Diamond.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
I've never encountered this type of altered bill before. Bob Neale released a manuscript on his braided bill, but that's a different beast.
MERose
View Profile
New user
Maryland
54 Posts

Profile of MERose
Thanks for the input guys, it's still on my mystery list. BTW, pretty sure Mr. Humble is Paul Diamond. I recall his email lists with the Mr. Humble reference.

Mike
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2017, MERose wrote:
BTW, pretty sure Mr. Humble is Paul Diamond. I recall his email lists with the Mr. Humble reference.

Mike

Yes, "Paul Diamond" does sound familiar. Not sure he would know the originator, and glad that David Parr pop'ed in.

Not sure that this will help the detective work, but I found a related stretching of a dollar in Fulves' Self Working Paper Magic p55
IT IS NOT THE SAME CUTS, but the same idea (cuts in a bill make it stretchable), maybe finding the originator of Fulves method will lead to the one in the OP

Either way, let us know if you make some progress on this.
John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Lu Brent was a magic creator, he marketed a few items and there was 3 books published by him through the defunct Mickey Hades in Canada. Previously, he published 6 other books.

I guess it would not hurt to email Mickey Hades, as he still sells used magic and books on line.

What is the year on that bill, that will tell you how old it is. Lu Brent died in 1993.

http://geniimagazine.com/magicpedia/Lu_Brent
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2017, Bill Hegbli wrote:

What is the year on that bill, that will tell you how old it is. Lu Brent died in 1993.

http://geniimagazine.com/magicpedia/Lu_Brent

Mine 1986
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
MERose
View Profile
New user
Maryland
54 Posts

Profile of MERose
My bill is dated 1981. Of course that doesn't mean it was made in 1981, merely not before 1981.

Mike
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
That tells me it could be a Lu Brent idea, that someone else made it and put it on the market, just not Lu Brent, as he was not directly putting tricks out then. He was publishing creating tricks in the 1930's an 1940's. I have a couple old Lu Brent tricks and a booklet, they were marketed by other magic dealers in the 1960's, the book was published in 1939 by a dealer, not Lu Brent.
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
I have such a bill....it is good comedy for close up. I tell the spectators "things were tight when I was a kid, we had to stretch a dollar". If I am not mistaken these were made by Jack Sandorse.
Mystic Myron
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Mystic Myron
Yes......It was Jack Sandorse who had these made and sold them........(he performed at my 10th Birthday Party in Newark, NJ) ..I believe Meir Yedid bought the rights and sometimes has these available......
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
Jack's wife sold me a few of the bills after his passing, also a neat close up case of Jack's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Lu Brent Accodrion Bill (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL