The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » 'Nothing But The Truth' by Craig Petty » » Craig Petty review show starts today (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Colin (C.J.)
View Profile
Special user
564 Posts

Profile of Colin (C.J.)
The megamouth of magic starts his new one man review show today. He will pull no punches apparently. Creators will be quaking. David Penn will be shaking. Brace yourselves!
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Good news. That was my one request to him.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
This is good news. This is going to be interesting. Looking forward to Craig's review(s).

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1646 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
Where will it be posted?

Sleepy
King14
View Profile
Loyal user
268 Posts

Profile of King14
It will be great to hear the truth if a effect is workable in the real world. Good Luck man
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Thanks for posting. Megamouth Of Magic. Love it!!!

Okay guys. Here it is. Episode 1 of Nothing But The Truth. If you want me to carry on doing these let me know. As I mentioned I am not affiliated with any magic shops and I am pulling no punches.

Like, Share, Comment and most importantly let me know what you think. Do you want me to do more?

Cheers!

Episode #1 : Insta-Change by Nick Einhorn
Colin (C.J.)
View Profile
Special user
564 Posts

Profile of Colin (C.J.)
Great review! Nick Einhorn's new trick gets an absolute mauling....1/10!!! LOL

I completely agree. It's a toy. And people have spent £30-£40 on it. LOL

Keep em coming Craig. Smile
tomstian88
View Profile
New user
Norway
26 Posts

Profile of tomstian88
Looking forward to more reviews.
catweazle
View Profile
Special user
924 Posts

Profile of catweazle
Great to see you back in action!!
keep them coming.
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1646 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
Really liked it!!

I think you'll like bare by the other brothers!

Sleepy
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
It’s great to have you ‘back’

I love the format of three or more reviews per ‘show’… But more please… maybe record a few and then release them every week on a certain day [?] – so people know when they can get their next ‘hit’

Anyway – can’t wait for the next one…
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
I liked it Craig, keep doing more.

However, about this episode I disagree. Well, I both agree and disagree.
Taken from the viewpoint of a professional worker regularly performing strolling magic I agree. But maybe Craig needs to clarify that that is the only perspective that he is coming from. At least in this episode, it remains to be seen if that will be the case in the future.

Back when I worked restaurants I did the $100 bill switch and in that situation I agree with Craig completely.
But viewing this effect as something to do apparently impromptu for a cashier or waiter then I would definitely choose Einhorn's method because it's so much quicker, essentially self-contained, and you wouldn't typically borrow anything in that situation anyway. Whether that use is worth the cost to you would likely depend on the type of performing you do the most.
But I think Nick's trick definitely has a place.

But that's okay, I don't want to necessarily agree with every episode and I still enjoyed it and would love to see more.
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1779 Posts

Profile of Ross W
I've always quite enjoyed Craig's reviews: he's a provocateur and apparently unafraid of speaking the truth, so - welcome back, Craig.

BUT - Oh my God, the production of this show is just horrible.

a). Who decided that it was acceptable to put the moving picture inside another still picture, on a "quirky" angle, meaning that at any time we're looking at TWO pictures of Craig's face? Why? It looks cheap and amateurish...BUT
b) not as cheap and amateurish as filming outside a toilet door, with a ceiling crack above Craig's head, and a horrible brown curtain, and a lamp reflecting in the window. It's so ugly, that I'm convincedthat it was deliberate? Like a joke? You know, "this is so authentic, so no-frills that we're gonna make it look totally sh*te. Ha ha!"
c) I first saw the "headphones-as-a-microphone" thing on Rick Lax and it's cr*p when he does it. It's no better now. C'mon: a half-decent clip-on microphone for an iPhone is about £20. Jeez.

Review shows are ten-a-penny these days. Craig has a slight advantage over others in - apparently - being unafraid to slag stuff off. If he goes the extra step and makes it look halfway decent, it might be worth watching again. Saying "this is not a slick studio show" is all very well, but it does not have to look dreadful just to demonstrate the contrast.
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Elite user
Sweet Home Alabama
479 Posts

Profile of Magic from A to Z
Craig ~

I liked the review.

To add to your review, you mentioned Jay Sankey. For those that know or are not familiar with Sankey's Fan Mail routine, check it out on Front Row Sankey. It uses the $100 Bill Switch. It's organic, personable, makes for a conversation, and can be given away to the participant.

I enjoyed when you demoed the products on the WPR. So, If you happen to come across a product that gets a higher rating, I'd like to see you demo the effect whether in studio and/ or in a live performance. Just a suggestion.

Again, Craig keep 'em coming......

All the Best,

~allen
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
That is the Craig Petty I used to like to watch! Nailed it! The 100 DB Switch! Of course! Thanks Craig! YES! More, please! Smile

Doug
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2017, The Duster wrote:
It’s great to have you ‘back’

And you aren’t doing your reputation any favours – filming yourself hanging around outside the girls toilets…

I love the format of three or more reviews per ‘show’… sorry I mean three rants per show

But more please… maybe record a few and then release them every week on a certain day [?] – so people know when they can get their next ‘hit’

Anyway – can’t wait for the next one… maybe for that one you can film yourself hanging around outside a school playground… hmm

I'll try to do the next few somewhere other than outside a ladies loo.

Glad you liked it man!
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2017, Ross W wrote:
I've always quite enjoyed Craig's reviews: he's a provocateur and apparently unafraid of speaking the truth, so - welcome back, Craig.

BUT - Oh my God, the production of this show is just horrible.

a). Who decided that it was acceptable to put the moving picture inside another still picture, on a "quirky" angle, meaning that at any time we're looking at TWO pictures of Craig's face? Why? It looks cheap and amateurish...BUT
b) not as cheap and amateurish as filming outside a toilet door, with a ceiling crack above Craig's head, and a horrible brown curtain, and a lamp reflecting in the window. It's so ugly, that I'm convincedthat it was deliberate? Like a joke? You know, "this is so authentic, so no-frills that we're gonna make it look totally sh*te. Ha ha!"
c) I first saw the "headphones-as-a-microphone" thing on Rick Lax and it's cr*p when he does it. It's no better now. C'mon: a half-decent clip-on microphone for an iPhone is about £20. Jeez.

Review shows are ten-a-penny these days. Craig has a slight advantage over others in - apparently - being unafraid to slag stuff off. If he goes the extra step and makes it look halfway decent, it might be worth watching again. Saying "this is not a slick studio show" is all very well, but it does not have to look dreadful just to demonstrate the contrast.

Cheers Ross.

Allow me to explain. This is not a commercial endeavour for me. Unlike most shows I do not own a magic shop. I just feel passionate about magic, got asked by a lot of people to 'come back'' and thought I'd try it.

If people like it and want more I'll invest in better equipment. At the moment I'm playing around with the former and style. I run 4 companies so I'm quite busy so it's never going to be studio based but I'll try my best in the future to improve production values.

Cheers bud!
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2017, Dougini wrote:
That is the Craig Petty I used to like to watch! Nailed it! The 100 DB Switch! Of course! Thanks Craig! YES! More, please! Smile

Doug

BOOM!! 💥💥💥
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Appreciate everything you are saying!!
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Great to see you back Craig.

Robert
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » 'Nothing But The Truth' by Craig Petty » » Craig Petty review show starts today (17 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL