The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Go Leafs Go (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Nashville wins the west. Whouda thunk thaf?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I don't feel like going back here but didn't you mention how that would be cool or some such thing? Seriously. I thought I recalled you mentioning it.

Even if you say it was a joke I still am giving you credit for calling it!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Suppose I did say that they were a "contender". I've been surprised by them every series. Maybe it's time to stop being surprised.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I think it might be. They have gone further than almost anyone predicted that is for certain. I LOVE when these underdog teams go on a post season run. It is so much fun to watch. Even when they beat my team.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Nashville's crushing of Chicago was a complete surprise (to me, at least). It's truly remarkable that they've kept rolling.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

And Ottawa continues to surprise. Looking forward to Thursday.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
The resiliency keeps shining thru with those PENS! What an enormous effort from both Ottawa and the Pens. Amazing! Just a fantastic game 7!!

Now onto the Stanly Cup to face a much more determined, quicker and more physical team. The Pens definitely have their hands full with Nashville.

GO PENS!!!!
Check out Bafflingbob.com
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
It's hard to believe that it's been almost 25 years since a Canadian NHL team won the cup! That's nuts!! And what's even crazier is that Ottawa did not sell out their arena for their home game 6 against the Pens. What's happening up there? When you think of Canada one thought that first comes to mind is hockey where they start their kids ice skating as soon as they begin walking.

Though, Canada can be proud to know that the best hockey player in the world and one of the best ever to play the game (Sidney Crosby) is from there!
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
WOW! 5 goals on 12 shots to defeat the Predators in Game 1 of the Stanley Cup! That's crazy! But we'll take it.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
All sports contracts are written in US dollars. At a 35 to 40 percent difference it is easy to see what is happening. Taking in Canadian money and paying in American money. It costs HUGE money to go to a nose bleed seat in Toronto. Those season tickets are willed to families.

Yep not a level playing field that is for certain.

I am here in Playa del Carmen Mexico watching the game last night. That reversed goal was interesting. A Penns fan told me that Pekka Rinna never beat the Penguins.

Well in the first 13 minutes it looked like he may start to happen, but then the Penguins showed up.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Actually, for the 2015-2016 season Toronto is ranked 5th most expensive by Median Ticket prices. Chicago and New York Rangers are 1 and 2. And I believe this is already converting the currency.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
That conversation goes way deeper. It is food, jerseys, parking and so on.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
And actually, the Senators are ranked 27th cheapest at $71 per ticket. I just checked and their general parking is $20.00. Exactly what it is for the Penguins general parking. Jerseys? Not sure what Jersey prices has to do with less attendance. And food/drinks, well a beer at PPG Paints Arena is over $10.00. So I would say all is very comparable.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
How about median household income in different cities? How about trying to put teams on ice with 40% less income? All the revenue comes into play. I don't think you get what I am saying at all.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Ottawa has the highest median household income in regards to Canadian large cites at $94,709 to Pittsburgh's median household income at $50,300. Pittsburgh always sells out especially for playoffs.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
As far as team income, which Ottawa is not the cheapest spending team BTW, that has nothing to do with public attendance. I do get what you are saying but it's not correct. It's a shame that a team in Canada does not all out their arena for the playoffs. Especially when their average median househomd income IS higher, much higher, than Pittsburghs median household income, where they always sell the arena out.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I guess you had better explain that to the professional sports franchises in Canada because they say it is a real issue. Either you don't understand at all what is being said or they are all just stupid. My guess is it is more a you understanding issue.

But take in 40% in revenue in any business and try to compete. It seems like common sense to me. But I could be way off.

So could this assessment.
http://www.canadianbusiness.com/business......squeeze/

This may help also.
https://www.thestar.com/business/2016/01......ans.html

I'm going to have to guess it is you not understanding the point.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Your previous post specifically deals with the Canadian teams finances and has nothing to do with Canadians attending their games. My point is specifically dealing with Canadians going to watch the games. Montreal, Toronto and Calgary are in the top 10 for attendance this year. Ottawa is ranked 21st! So your point about Canadian NHL teams struggling has nothing to do with the attendance. I am thinking you are not understanding the point.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/attendance
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Two different issues here.

1. As Danny noted, the economics of Canadian teams are different from US teams for a number of reasons. On the upside, Canadian teams sell a lot of seats, have excellent TV contracts and sell a ton om merchandise. On the downside, the exchange rate, operating costs and associated international business costs are continuing burdens.

2. As RNK noted, it is odd for Ottawa not to sell out. Every other Canadian team sells every ticket, and can inflate playoff tickets almost without limit.

As for why Canadian teams haven't won for a long time--IMO prosperity makes management lazy. Edmonton, Toronto and Calgary have suffered two decades of incompetent management. Hopefully, things have turned around and we'll see these teams deep in the playoffs again.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jun 2, 2017, RNK wrote:
Your previous post specifically deals with the Canadian teams finances and has nothing to do with Canadians attending their games. My point is specifically dealing with Canadians going to watch the games. Montreal, Toronto and Calgary are in the top 10 for attendance this year. Ottawa is ranked 21st! So your point about Canadian NHL teams struggling has nothing to do with the attendance. I am thinking you are not understanding the point.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/attendance

Attendance is often linked to prosperous competitive teams. To say it has nothing to do with attendance is really myopic.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Go Leafs Go (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL