The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Go Leafs Go (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7530 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Jun 2, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 2, 2017, RNK wrote:
Your previous post specifically deals with the Canadian teams finances and has nothing to do with Canadians attending their games. My point is specifically dealing with Canadians going to watch the games. Montreal, Toronto and Calgary are in the top 10 for attendance this year. Ottawa is ranked 21st! So your point about Canadian NHL teams struggling has nothing to do with the attendance. I am thinking you are not understanding the point.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/attendance

Attendance is often linked to prosperous competitive teams. To say it has nothing to do with attendance is really myopic.

Obviously you are not getting it either. That's Ok. Other Canadian teams sellout. Ottawa doesn't. Your point was about the financial challenges Canadian teams face resulting in not selling out. Why do the other Canadian teams sellout except Ottawa?
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Do you even read the links provided?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7530 Posts

Profile of RNK
Yes, and the links you provided say nothing about reasons why the fans are not going to the games and linking the lack of attendance to the weak Canadian dollar and the exchange rates. The articles talk more specifically about how those are directly affecting the teams payroll and how it's causing ticket prices to rise. BUT, Ottawa's ticket prices are not as high as the other Canadian teams that are still selling out! My point was simply that I can't believe a Canadian Arena wouldn't sell out for playoff games.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
"Although the relationship between payroll and performance isn’t perfect, Hodgson said, teams have to pay their best players and attract high-value free agents if they want to remain competitive and retain the interest of fans.
Professional teams in big cities with broad support such as the Toronto Raptors or the Montreal Canadiens will be able to weather the storm, Hodgson said, but those in smaller markets such as the Ottawa Senators or the resurrected Winnipeg Jets could have a harder time.
“The danger is if you don’t draw, you can’t pay, you can’t attract the good players,” he said. “It can become a negative feedback loop.”

A DIRECT cut and paste from the first link. My lord it even mentions the Senators in the article.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7530 Posts

Profile of RNK
Back-to-Back CHAMPIONS! CONGRATULATIONS Pittsburgh Penguins! Amazing how they overcame all the injuries to bring back the CUP to Pittsburgh!

Can they do it three years in a row!!!!!!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
They had an unfair advantage of having the best team mind you.

I am impressed with their run of success as a "dynasty" in this day and age as it is. With salary caps DESIGNED to spread players around the league, expansion picking off players, and all the other factors that seem to keep players from being on one team for a career as in the old days it often happened, they have kept it together through a lot of change impressively.

They have had a great run and hopefully for Pittsburg fans it can keep up. It is getting harder and harder to be competitive for any length of time. Much less on this level of winning it all so consistently.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I'm not convinced that Pittsburgh was the better team. Overall, I thought Nashville outplayed the Pens. Somehow, the Penguins managed to get the goals, even when they were getting thumped. (The first two games could easily have gone to Nashville; Game 5 was the only one when the Penguins were clearly better.)

Still, the Penguins won fair and square, and Sid has cemented his legacy.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Doesn't that sort of show them being the better team? Legacy teams find a way to win.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On Jun 12, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
Doesn't that sort of show them being the better team? Legacy teams find a way to win.

Don't know. If Rinne had been, well, Rinne in the first two games, it might've been a Predators sweep.

I give Pittsburgh credit for hanging tough, but they were definitely outplayed. Luck matters sometimes.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
As did the ability to make your own luck.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7530 Posts

Profile of RNK
Shultz, the Pens only decent defenseman played most of the playoffs with broken ribs. Cole, the other half decent defenseman played the Pred series with a broken hand and broken ribs. Not to mention the many other injuries the Pens had to deal with it. No other team in the playoffs had as many injuries as the Penguins. The Predators had a better defense than the Penguins, as a matter of fact so did Washington and Columbus. This was even stated by the announcers. So to say the Pens had the best team is not totally true. Yes, thank goodness they have obviously one of the best coaches and GM in the business that made smart decisions throughout the playoffs and the season. And they have two of the best players in the world with a few very good players supporting them along with two top notch goalies. It was just unfortunate that Rinne SUCKS when he plays in Pittsburgh. As a matter of fact Rinne has NEVER beat Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh. And Rinne has only beat the Penguins 2 times in his career.

And sorry Magnus but the Pens were the better team in game 7 as well. Both the teams played fantastic.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On Jun 12, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
As did the ability to make your own luck.

I was thinking of disallowed goals, missed calls and whatnot. The game 6 disallowed goal would have changed that game completely. The puck was loose and the referee lost sight, so he blew the whistle, just as Nashville banged it into the net. Objectively, the referee was just plain wrong, and his error favored Pittsburgh and harmed Nashville. He did the right thing--but it was pure bad luck for Nashville and good luck for Pittsburgh with ability completely negated on the play.

The "good luck" that led to the winning goal was a great example of what you're talking about, Danny. Hornqvist made a play and got a bounce. It was lovely.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
True but it is so rare that one team experiences so much good luck and one so much bad luck to influence a series. Looked at in single events maybe but over the course it levels out and perception bias takes over. Plus who knows what a simple offsides would have led to?

Bit yes intangibles really mattertoo you guys are dead right. When those things happen, even if they equal out I guesscan be very important.
Generally playing whistle to whistle hard creates opportunity.

Isn't this the only times Rinne beat Pittsburg? I had my doubts of 4.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Overall, 2017 was the most exciting playoffs I can remember. Great series from beginning to end. Even the final its one-sided scores was an exciting clash of styles.

Pittsburgh was a fitting winner, mainly because they had so many injuries and somehow found a way to keep winning.
innermind
View Profile
Regular user
suburban Detroit
154 Posts

Profile of innermind
"Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else." -Will Rogers
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7530 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
True but it is so rare that one team experiences so much good luck and one so much bad luck to influence a series.

Bad Luck? In game 6 Nashville had 4 power plays to the Penguins 0 and didn't score on any of them! Not to mention the Preds had a 5 on 3 advantage and STILL didn't score! Bad luck? Lol. Please. If you can't score on a 5 on 3, sorry that has nothing to do with luck. The referees were clearly biased to Nashville throughout the series with all the crap they let Nashville get away with. The Penguins had to beat both the Predators and the referees. Keep trying to paint the picture that Nashville is a better team. Out of the 3 series to get to the Cup the Pens had to beat the number 1 and number 4 team! Luck? I think not.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On Jun 14, 2017, RNK wrote:
Quote:
True but it is so rare that one team experiences so much good luck and one so much bad luck to influence a series.

Bad Luck? In game 6 Nashville had 4 power plays to the Penguins 0 and didn't score on any of them! Not to mention the Preds had a 5 on 3 advantage and STILL didn't score! Bad luck? Lol. Please. If you can't score on a 5 on 3, sorry that has nothing to do with luck. The referees were clearly biased to Nashville throughout the series with all the crap they let Nashville get away with. The Penguins had to beat both the Predators and the referees. Keep trying to paint the picture that Nashville is a better team. Out of the 3 series to get to the Cup the Pens had to beat the number 1 and number 4 team! Luck? I think not.

No need to get religious Smile

Do you think the disallowed goal was an example of the referee working against Pittsburgh? It was an objectively wrong--the puck was loose and Nashville should have had the goal. (But the referee did the right thing by blowing the whistle. His error was not in blowing the play dead, but in being in a poor position and not being able to see that the puck was alive.)

The Penguins are a great team, and they showed great resilience. Sid Crosby is the best player of his generation. (I was cheering for them to win.) But they got a bucketful of lucky breaks in the final.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jun 14, 2017, RNK wrote:
Quote:

I'm sorry I war not who put forth the idea luck was against Nashville. I said clearly the better team won.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Well, well, well.
Here we are a year later. A little older, a little wiser, and facing the Bruins in the first round again.
Come on boys, we can do it this time!
bdungey
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of bdungey
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2019, magicfish wrote:
Well, well, well.
Here we are a year later. A little older, a little wiser, and facing the Bruins in the first round again.
Come on boys, we can do it this time!

As much as the sport is boiled into my blood, there's something about the home team that just gets you going a little more. I have memories of some 'major' moments in hockey where it felt like our whole town shut down to watch.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Go Leafs Go (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL