The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Ten Card Miracle by Ted Karmilovich, LIMITED EDITION (35 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Seems to me that this whole tactic of claiming to out a big name is simply an attempt to be a deterrent in itself. At this point I have serious doubts that this big name really exists.

I think the concept of a seller reporting the name of a buyer has had some success with large illusions. But that is very different because there are so few units of the prop manufactured and you are going to be performing it in a large show and not for friends or at a restaurant. Plus, it's much more likely the purchaser would almost certainly be found out if they were seen to still be performing it.

I don't think the idea of sellers reporting a sale would work with an item like is being discussed here.
And it would be somewhat surprising to me that a pirate would choose this item, which is a physical booklet, and cannot simply be downloaded.

It would be nice to hear something from Ted himself regarding this whole matter. Personally, I will not join a possible witch hunt without more facts.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2017, shakuni wrote:

I don't think they are marked at all. Its simply a tactic to scare pirates. So, there is nothing that can be done.

Exactly. And to put an antipiracy marking in a hard copy, it entails printing of at least one page differently for each booklet/book printed. Which IMO is not an easy task.

Quote:
On Dec 11, 2017, shakuni wrote:

But I am not too worried since those who do this kind of thing do so only to 'collect' secrets. They certainly don't have the patience or skill to perform it.

Those who pirate and sell such things, do it for their own quick & petty gains and try to flourish at the cost of YOUR intellectual property. However such notorious people must understand (the sooner the better) that Karma is watching and will take its toll sooner or later. And like Shakuni mentioned, those who purchase such bootleg copies (at a fraction of its price) do so to collect secrets only. Majority of them don't have the time nor the patience to even read them leave aside performing it.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2017, Ustaad wrote:

those who purchase such bootleg copies (at a fraction of its price)

From Ted is costs $50

The bootlegged copies cost $20

The real version is a booklet - the bootleg is a PDF [???? photo's of the pages]

The real version is still on sale - never sold out

I don't see that as 'at a fraction of the price' - for a pirated version - it sounds expensive

Sounds like maybe there is no big named person - as it would be very silly to NOT name them - awkward that it's been brought up. As if he/she isn't named and shamed - it looks like it was a lie... yikes. What a mess... "loose lips" and all that
Colin (C.J.)
View Profile
Special user
564 Posts

Profile of Colin (C.J.)
I believe Ted has chosen to deal with the matter privately. I will respect his decision. However, I would urge those who have bought the booklet to get in touch with Ted and let him know how strongly you feel about what has happened, just to make sure the guilty party is dealt with appropriately. Smile
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2017, Colin (C.J.) wrote:

I believe Ted has chosen to deal with the matter privately. I will respect his decision. However, I would urge those who have bought the booklet to get in touch with Ted and let him know how strongly you feel about what has happened, just to make sure the guilty party is dealt with appropriately. Smile

In Ted's and in your view who is the guilty party, the honest buyer or those unscrupulous pirates? I guess you will say both. Right?

So Mr. Ted, the judge, will put on trial that one lone individual (who purchased his item and probably sold it to somebody else) and then award a punishment behind closed doors of his court room; but leave those unscrupulous pirates who are openly and rampantly selling his intellectual property scot-free as he can do sweet nothing to them.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
We have no evidence to know whether what Colin (C.J.) has stated is true, or if Ted is even aware of his posts.

And if true, we have no idea of Ted's intentions because we haven't heard anything from him. If Colin (C.J.) is Ted's official spokesperson I and many others are not aware of it and my belief is that Ted would have stated things differently if he said anything publicly at all, which is doubtful IMO.
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
This statement:

Quote:
On Dec 10, 2017, Colin (C.J.) wrote:
I am furious that this booklet, which I paid a lot of money for, is being actively pirated on the internet. The booklets were digitally watermarked to identify each individual purchaser in the event of illegal distribution. The person linked to the illegal copies is soon to be named and shamed. The community will be shocked.

Was a bit silly to make - if nobody was going to be named, or shamed

As it both makes it seem like nobody has actually been 'caught' or/and - it shows how weak the repercussions of doing so are

Along with all that it makes CJ seem like he ‘spoke too soon’ – as if this was going to be ignored/swept under the carpet – then it shouldn’t have been mentioned

Though the other theory seems to be – there never was any ‘big named’ magician anyway and this was to try and stop others from pirating the work themselves

We as a community are powerless against the pirates – and if we don’t even name and shame anyone – then what’s the point. Why have protection – you may as well say – ‘feel free to pirate this work, as we aren’t going to do anything even if we know you did it’
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
What does this even mean

"The booklets were digitally watermarked "

Was this project a PDF [?]

I thought it was an actual booklet

What on earth does that mean [?] digitally watermarked

That surely is to do with eBooks and not hard copy ones [?]

I think the whole thing seems iffy
truman
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of truman
I think the idea is that each printed copy is slightly different from all the others so that an unauthorized PDF for sale could potentially be traced back to who originally purchased the hard copy that was scanned. The same concept would apply if it was sold as a limited-edition PDF, which I believe Bob Cassidy did for his last few releases.
Rocketeer
View Profile
Special user
Westchester, NY
965 Posts

Profile of Rocketeer
If I buy a regular dead-tree book I can (absent some prior agreement not to) certainly resell it immediately or at a later date or whenever I care to put it up to sale. But what's being sold in this case is an illegal PDF copy. That's another thing entirely. It's a criminal act.

I think one way to fight it might be to never sell your stuff. Instead, license it. Instead of selling 200 copies at $55 perhaps Ted should have licensed 100 copies at $110. Or maybe even (gulp) license 50 copies at $220. Maybe require a signed agreement too. Certainly this is no panacea nor is it practical for most tricks. But for a guy with the track record and reputation of a Ted Karmilovich, I think it's worth trying.
I'm selling my hardcover autographed limited edition copy of Jerome Finley's "Thought Veil"

PM me for info.
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2018, Rocketeer wrote:
I think one way to fight it might be to never sell your stuff. Instead, license it. Instead of selling 200 copies at $55 perhaps Ted should have licensed 100 copies at $110. Or maybe even (gulp) license 50 copies at $220. Maybe require a signed agreement too. Certainly this is no panacea nor is it practical for most tricks. But for a guy with the track record and reputation of a Ted Karmilovich, I think it's worth trying.

Hmm

So he 'licenses' 200 copies at $50

Then one turns up on a pirate site - and that is different how?

But in a way he deserves to be pirated

If he had a high profile name copy this / sell it on to the pirates - and he knows this - but doesn't name or shame them... then cool - game on

So if Ted has no balls [or more likely CJ/Ted made up the whole thing] then why should we care

Personally I find all the pirating annoying and would love for there to be a solution... which is why I feel so 'let down' by Ted not outing the person [Ted went to the trouble to mark the books to catch them]

I mean really - to put that effort into marking the copies - and then to catch someone... and not out them... yikes what a wasted opportunity
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Should of been sold for 10 Bucks. Then no incentive to pirate. Simple.

And this must be an incredible effect if Karl M got a standing ovation. Lmao.
cat26
View Profile
Regular user
Manitoba, Canada
101 Posts

Profile of cat26
Please refer to my comment on May 4/2017 on this topic. Especially note that there have been no comments. It would be nice if Larry Becker would comment on this. In my opinion, Ted Karmilovich is marketing the same thing. It's a fine line between creating something new and marketing "your twist" with revised title. Larry called it PSI Stebbins for a reason. Cheers.............
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Jan 14, 2018, pegasus wrote:

And this must be an incredible effect if Karl M got a standing ovation. Lmao.

Karl M got a standing ovation? Awesome!
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Quote:
On Jan 14, 2018, pegasus wrote:

Not so sure about that as all the $10 or $5 downloads are on the pirate sites for sale [at $2 or less]

I think it may put some people off [it's only a few dollars difference may as well buy the real version] - but some people will always think cheaper is better [when buying the same thing]
hp
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of hp
Perhaps I can change the subject slightly: Ted K. lectured at our SAM meeting last night. He was terrific: a super showman plus he got so much effect from minimal effort. In the whole night he did just one "move" (and this was one any layman could do) but he got a great reaction for every effect he did. I didn't buy his Ten Card effect since I do mainly close-up. I did buy his Three Pellet booklet, though, which was super. I don't know anything about the current discussion, but I can say that Ted's seemingly small additions make a world of difference to how the effect is perceived by the audience.
Howard
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2018, cat26 wrote:
Please refer to my comment on May 4/2017 on this topic. Especially note that there have been no comments. It would be nice if Larry Becker would comment on this. In my opinion, Ted Karmilovich is marketing the same thing. It's a fine line between creating something new and marketing "your twist" with revised title. Larry called it PSI Stebbins for a reason. Cheers.............

Good observation, cat26! Hoping for Larry's commenting myself.
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
rickreation
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of rickreation
To owners of Ted's Ten Card Miracle - watch Joshua Jay's Penguin live lecture #2. His "Trojan Deck" gimmick (which is a slightly gimmicked box for a 100% ordinary deck) is PERFECT for Ted's Routine and adds another layer of deception.
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
By time you read this I will have
1554 Posts

Profile of jaizon
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2018, rickreation wrote:
To owners of Ted's Ten Card Miracle - watch Joshua Jay's Penguin live lecture #2. His "Trojan Deck" gimmick (which is a slightly gimmicked box for a 100% ordinary deck) is PERFECT for Ted's Routine and adds another layer of deception.

A gimmicked box seems to be completely unnecessary for this effect.
rickreation
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of rickreation
Totally unnecessary. But a fine way to overcome the one (barely) suspicious moment in the routine. I don't think his routine is flawed, nor that a gimmicked box is necessary. But it's a great way to mildly enhance the deceptiveness of the routine, and only a few minutes of arts and crafts on the outside of an existing cardbox.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Ten Card Miracle by Ted Karmilovich, LIMITED EDITION (35 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL