The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Rubber Deception by Joe Rindfleisch (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
OH wow! I'm learning something new! I had never even heard of elasrtraflex, nor had any inkling that any such substance existed. But I am sure glad to learn. And I thought I had pretty much just about heard of everything in magic. This thread has been an education for me!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
839 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
Here's what I wrote earlier in the thread about them:

Quote:
On May 15, 2017, sgtgrey wrote:
Daffydoug, Joe's bands are the best for this. You should be able to get a bag of them at your favorite dealer. They are #19 non-latex bands in a variety of colors (you can buy the variety bag, or a specific color/colors) and are treated with "Elastraflex," which is supposed to make them stronger, more flexible, more slippery, etc. The only real downside, imo, is the slippery factor can be a hindrance in some band effects, but I've only really had to deal with that if I perform ring on band.

I've not bothered with coating my own bands - the ones by Joe are fantastic. I definitely do think they are stronger and more elastic. I was using a few different varieties of bands sold online from Amazon and magic shops, and none of them compare to Joe's bands. I stopped using almost all the other ones immediately. The only exception is the rubber bands I use with playing cards because I want a different, and very precise, size band for particular effects that I do.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I"m betting Joe's bands would be great for crazy man's handcuffs!! I'm pretty excited anticipating it! I am so glad to have discovered this effect and this thread and subsequently being turned on to Joe's specialty bands. This is a great bit of serendipity for me.
CardPalHal
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of CardPalHal
I have a bag of the rainbow coming tomorrow. I've been practicing all the various Deception moves and I'm gonna be glad to buy 3 or 4 of his other digital downloads to work a little routine with. I don't even mind wearing the bands because I'm the type of guy that wears bracelets and watches.
sadhu
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of sadhu
Joe's bands are really amazing, the best rubberband that money can buy. After playing with the first bag, I bought five more as gifts to my friends, they are that good.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Man, I'm pumped!! Been really absorbing the video instructions. This is literally like a whole act on your wrist!! Zero pocket space!
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Hey Daffy, once you use Joe's bands you'll never use any others so be aware that you are now entering into a life long addiction. Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
For the effects where the Elastraflex is a problem like the band thru thumb penetration. tightly pinch the band between you thumb and first finger and keep pulling it thru in a full circular motion. You will shortly rub off enough that the band will again be able to grab the "bite" it needs to hold in place until you want it to release. I store all my bands coated in Elastraflex, sealed in a good ziplock freezer bag and stored in a cool dry place. I bought extra bottle when it first came out and add it to a small baggie of Pale Crepe Golds too. I have had these pretty much since the site opened and they are still in tip top shape and the fluid is still "wet" and has it's slight distinct odor. They all still stretch far and great right out of the bag even though it has been in storage well over a year. My Pale Crepe Golds are holding up as well.

As far as Joes bands. When his site opened, I went nuts. Absolute heaven on earth for me. I bought a pound of rainbow (back then there was also a "wet and wild" option with extra fluid throughout. I later bought 1/4# of the black and white "Executive Bands" for more formal wear. I just ordered 1/4# of the Harry Lorayne lime green as I love that color with black.

I have a ton of effects from many magicians like Dan Harlan, Marcus Eddy and Joe (along with others he sells on his site). I also have the Penguin exclusives.

I have another type of rubber band that came with the DVD "Rubber Bang" by Sean Yang and I found a source for them at a local flea market (they are special bands made in Taiwan IIRC so I picked up a bunch). You need certain type bands for certain effects. I have had a ton of blue and orange bands for years that I got with, and extras for, Melting Point, so I skipped those colors when choosing the colors for my pound of rainbow bands.

Minor "Pro Tip" - If you have not worn bands on your wrist for long periods before and you have any issue with tightness. (I use #19's and they are snug on my big wrists). A good way to help yourself out is to "Pre-Stretch" the bands. I find something a bit larger than my wrist (which is 8 1/2" and a #19 band is arox 7 3/4""). I wrap several bands (already treated with his Elatraflex) around a can of O'Keeffe's Working Hands Cream (aprox 10 1/2") for anywhere from 1 week to several. Wrap them up, seal them in a ziplock and store in a cool dry place. This gives them a little extra "give" without overstretching them. It is important to me as I have health issues and bloodflow is one of them. Fresh bands (if several for a long day) cut off my circulation to that hand a bit, but only temporary. I can take them off for a few and be ok for quite another length of time. The pre-stretch just helps make that less often without hurting the bands.

My only regret is I had an email code to get Joes Penguin Lecture (for $19.99) and fell asleep early that eve before making the purchase. So, I do not, as of yet, have that. I do however have plenty of other stuff from Joe to keep me busy. I will get the Penguin Lecture eventually, maybe used or maybe as part of a "pick 5 for $100" deal. Joe is a great guy and has been very responsive to me thru email any time that I have ever had a question about a move that I just didn't get from the video exp.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Boomer
View Profile
Special user
Prosper, TX
668 Posts

Profile of Boomer
I've only bought one Penguin LIVE lecture, and yes, it is Joe's.

Dave
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On May 16, 2017, videoman wrote:
Hey Daffy, once you use Joe's bands you'll never use any others so be aware that you are now entering into a life long addiction. Smile

Ya' know, I kind of sensed that. Yeah, I see it coming.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Poof Daddy,

Thanks for the helpful post! That's pretty valuable information you shared there!!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Oh, I forgot to ask: I have melting point and the original bands that came with it. Are Joe's bands recommended with this effect? Also, same question for crazy man's handcuffs.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On May 17, 2017, daffydoug wrote:
Oh, I forgot to ask: I have melting point and the original bands that came with it. Are Joe's bands recommended with this effect? Also, same question for crazy man's handcuffs.

I use Joes bands for both of these effects. As a matter of fact, I just added elastraflex to the extra melting point bands I had. So far the ONLY problem I have had using Joes bands with the coating is the thumb penetration type that I addressed above (as well as the fix). I do CMH with two pink band in the bar for a lady and I eventually make the two melt into one band. When I am done I put it around their wrist and tell them they can keep it. It doesn't take long before you have a few more ladies asking you to do that rubber band thing for them. It is like free advertising.

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
839 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
Absolutely. I would use Joe's bands for pretty much every effect, save for a few specific card effects where I need a different size. Videoman is right that you'll never want to use any others after you start using these ones!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I placed my order a few minutes ago. I'm trying the rainbow pack. A few minutes later, I got an e-mail that they are already shipped! I was pretty tickled about that.

What it doesn't tell on the website is what sizes are included in that pack. Is it assorted sizes?
thecardbutler
View Profile
New user
Mexico City, Mexico
50 Posts

Profile of thecardbutler
Quote:
On May 17, 2017, daffydoug wrote:
I placed my order a few minutes ago. I'm trying the rainbow pack. A few minutes later, I got an e-mail that they are already shipped! I was pretty tickled about that.

What it doesn't tell on the website is what sizes are included in that pack. Is it assorted sizes?

AFAIK they're all size #19
geordiediver
View Profile
Regular user
With a phantasmagorical...
107 Posts

Profile of geordiediver
Hi,
Just to add to Poof-Daddy, I like to stretch the bands. I have found just practicing with a band after about 5 min it has gained about 10mm /3/8” but it keeps its stretch and elasticity. I love these bands.
impulse
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of impulse
Ok I order this DVD looks great any recommendations to go along with some of these effects. What kind of routines are you guys doing .
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I can confirm they are all size 19 bands.

Smile Smile
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Side 19'is pretty much the standard, right? I think Ammar recommends 19 for CMH.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Rubber Deception by Joe Rindfleisch (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL