The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Open Mic Night (32 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
SilasJude
View Profile
New user
Buffalo
97 Posts

Profile of SilasJude
Through the forums, I saw a post on manners and realize I had forgotten mine, Stuart, Robb, Mindpro, Atlas, thank you all for your latest responses.

Small aside; neat Easter-egg seeing Atlas show up in Derren's penguin lecture
Max Wells
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of Max Wells
Quote:
On May 30, 2017, SilasJude wrote:
Through the forums, I saw a post on manners and realize I had forgotten mine, Stuart, Robb, Mindpro, Atlas, thank you all for your latest responses.

Small aside; neat Easter-egg seeing Atlas show up in Derren's penguin lecture

I believe Phill Smiff was also there.
David Berglas was there as well. Maybe Michael Weber too.
wchoo002
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of wchoo002
Thanks for this post. I think I am going to start performing for public by going to open mic sessions to practice.

I wanted to ask, what happens when things go horribly wrong? For example, imagine doing a book test and you ask them to think of a long difficult word on the page so that they will pick one of your !@#$*d words. However, they mishear you or just picked a short word. You don't know this until you have tried fishing a while.

Do you try to salvage the routine by redoing it, change the routine on the spot (like getting the word written down and doing a CT), or just admit it didn't work on the person and you like to try something else?
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
It's mind reading.... Move on to something that won't fail. Or, if you think this may happen, have them write the word down so they don't forget.

All of the above as you state.
SilasJude
View Profile
New user
Buffalo
97 Posts

Profile of SilasJude
Wchoo, I believe in such a scenario, you need to 1.) decide if the effect is salvageable and 2.) if so, figure out how you're going to save it.

I would say this is where practice on family and friends helps. You know for sure that they are not going to give you a "real" reaction, but if nothing else, you can use them to find gaps or defects in your presentation or scripting. For example, I always practice new material with my father as without fail, he always finds a way to exploit weakness in my directions or methodology.
jstreiff
View Profile
Special user
701 Posts

Profile of jstreiff
"Very interesting- you are clearly an independent thinker; let's do something a but different with you."
John
Max Hazy
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Max Hazy
SilasJude, I think you were good. Honestly. You can and you will get better, but for your situation and having a lot against you, you were good.

In the last time I did something similar to an open mic (but there were 8 performers, and it wasn't an "open" event) I was nervous before the show (I guess because there were other performers)... once the show started, I became calm. What I do there on stage is automatic. I try to engage and I focus on the presentation. There was a fail (in my eyes) in an hypno effect that I wanted to test in a real situation... and much to my surprise it wasn't a fail for them. I had to face participants of this level:

- I'll try to get voice cues for your word. Say the alphabet please.
- A, E, I, O, U. (everybody laughs and I did my best to not embarrass her, but inside I was like WOOOOOOOOT)

I was calm but the participant was nervous (it can happen more often than you expect). I always give them my business cards to write their thoughts in case they forget, but still I had to face situations like that (the alphabet) and you have to be careful to act polite when everybody is laughing. They should all have a good time, not get embarrassed.

Something I would prefer to do here from my repertoire would be 100th monkey (hypnotizing to forget how to read, always get laughs and it's instantly compelling).

I'm going to share some thoughts here but there are 2 things I should mention.

1) I'm a sergeant (specialized in guard and security) in the Air Force, so, I'm used to give instruction to lots of people. I'm pretty sure this helps me to not be nervous in front of the audience.
2) I never did an open mic, but I faced some very similar situations.

That being said, I have some things for you to consider. I'm putting myself in your shoes as to what I would try to do:

1) From the Atlas essay, you have to be "instantly compelling". This is key. That's why Bank Night is such a great opener. "Who here wants a chance to win 500 dollars raise your hand!". Boom, you have their attention. Once somebody is selected, if he/she wins the 500 dollar prize... will have to give 200 to a random person. Boom, everybody will be cherishing and giving attention again. This is just an example. Great openers are things that calls people attention and engage many if not all of them.

2) Since it's an open mic, you should take the opportunity to present yourself. To engage with the audience. When the video started, it was like "Hello, my name is Simon, I read minds, let's go!". I was like what the f... what happened here? There's a difference between fast paced and rushed. Rushing like this the attention will go to the effect. The performance should be about you, not about the name and place routine.

3) The mic didn't help you. Bad luck but that's ok. You could laugh at it... Let's go... if the mic allows me to. You could make several jokes with it, some heavy ones if the ambient was asking for it.

4) Use methods that you feel absolutely comfortable with. Because if you focus a lot on the method, you will sacrifice your attention to the presentation. The less attention you give to the method, the more you can focus on the presentation.

5) Get the audience on fire. Put expectation, build tension. I remember this one time I did a simple memory demonstration. I memorized 20 objects randomly named by audience (for real) and I had to call them in order. Participant took note of the objects. Then I say "If the devil appeared here, burned your notes, and asked you to say the objects in order or you would lose your soul... would you be able to do so?" he smiles and look down, everybody laughs... and I say "ok, I'll do my best to save you from the devil"... and I proceed to call all objects in order, in the very last they're even sweating, I was acting like the devil was really there... and I say it. Nice round of applause. And it wasn't even an effect, just a memory demonstration. Try to think on how to present what you do in an interesting way, something to touch their emotions. Today when I read an effect from other performer I always try to make it better, it doesn't matter if he is a highly respected pro who do that for 30 years, there's always a way to refine, adapt and make everything we do become even better somehow (off course, you must understand the reasons behind the structure before you alter it). When you read other performer idea, see it as a tool, not as something ready to be done exactly like it's written.

Cheers

Max
"Your method is in my opinion the very best way to do Q&A"
Millard Longman

"Max has pushed some less known and seldom used principles a huge step forward"
Jan Forster

Arcane Grimoires Vol 1- http://www.maxhazy.com/arcane-grimoires/apocryphal-reach/

Arcane Grimoires Vol 2- http://www.maxhazy.com/Codex-Mentis/
MentalMik
View Profile
Regular user
Ridgecrest, California
183 Posts

Profile of MentalMik
Thanks for posting what you did, this thread has resulted in some awesome advice. I can't offer any advice as I've yet to take the plunge and perform, but I'm learning what I can from the advice of others who have been there.
From the mind of Mik.
Ridgecrest, California, by way of the UK.
paul180
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of paul180
If alcohol is being served? I suggest being one of the first on stage. As ppl drink they become belligerent and as a mentalist this can be devastating.

True story! When performing my first open mic, I was performing the ID using the dream about you presentation I mistakenly called upon a man. Well my flirtatious way with the effect had them rooling. I'm thinking I should bring it back to se if it might still work?

BTW I'm sure this gig has long past but I wanted to post for those who might read the thread looking for tips.
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a foolish man can learn from a wise answer.

Attributing negativity to a topic or post doesn't make the topic or post negative,
it shines a light on the negativity of the person or persons, making the attributions.

BEWARE these Debbie downers and anything they say. They simply lack the self esteem or good will, to be positive or productive. Your belief in self, is more
important and is all that matters, for your success to be glorious.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I had some in this thread that were asking me about the re-release of my Open Mic Book. It has been revised and updated and is also being packaged with a second ebook titled “15 Tips For Successful Open Mic Performances” and both of these are offered as a combination set.
for a combined price less than the previous cost of just one of the books, so it is quite a value.

PM me for details if interested.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Open Mic Night (32 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL