We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Which Chop cup to get....any recommendations ? (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1713 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Quote:
On May 12, 2017, warren wrote:
Out of interest is the weight of a chop cup an important thing to consider ie is it better to have a lighter one or a heavier one or does it not really matter ?

Also thanks again to those that have posted and gone to the trouble to provide pictures and links it's most appreciated Smile

I guess that depends how rough you are. I have an RnT Kozmo Cup that is built like a tank. I never have used it but then again I'm not out on the streets.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5228 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Weight of the cup? Where are you planning to use it? If you are going to be working indoors, table hopping, Then a light weight cup is preferred. Outdoor venues (table hopping at a picnic or wedding) you'll want something heaver so the odd breeze doesn't blow it away.

Honestly, find a "look" that you like be it metal, leather, wood, paper, whatever and jump in and go for it. It really doesn't make any difference. In 60 years I have acquired and used over 100 Chop Cups (who needs more than one?!?). Some because they went with the performing "look" I was using at the time. Some because they had a "lighter" or "heavier" hold that I needed in the routine I was using at the time, and some just because they were beautiful.

So what am I using right now today (subject to change tomorrow)? I'm using ungaffed styrofoam coffee cups (small size - 8 oz)) obtained free from the local convenience store. Rolled up bills as balls and small limes for final loads. Total investment is $2.00 for the bills, approximately $5.00 for the necessary gaffs (N=2), $1.00 for the loads. If I was working outdoors I'd use a heavy. porcelain, coffee mug and stronger gaffs.

When all is said and done you're probably going to end up with more than one Chop Cup. So jump in, get one that you like for whatever reason, then come back and tell us how it worked for you and how it didn't.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
2689 Posts

Profile of warren
Just to update all those that contributed to this thread in the end I purchased a beautiful wooden cup made for me by Hidden Wren magic.
The service I received was second to none and the cup is outstanding I would recommend Hidden Wren Magic to anyone,infact I'm thinking about getting a smaller one to for an in the hands routine.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6559 Posts

Profile of Dougini
This is a good question. It is also valid to ask which Cups & Balls to outfit yourself. Combo cups? A separate Chop Cup? How elegant ya gonna get? For me, in most cases, elegance is good. What about impromptu? I have used a setup since about 2001 that I came up with, but never marketed. Charlie Justice came up with the EXACT same concept (but for a totally different effect). I'm sure a few other magicians (Think Axel Hecklau) knew how to put this new tech into use. Smile

This allows you to use any cup ya like. Wood, metal, leather...ya just need a gaffed ball or die (or whatever). If ya like wooden cups (and I do), go to The Pottery Shop, Michael's, A.C. Moore...that kinda place. Wooden cups of all kinds. Some finished, some not. Also game stores...pool, billiards, darts, have leather dice cups. Online...whoa. Too many! Every imaginable cup. Again, non-gimmicked! You really don't need the cup gaffed!

My setup is quite involved. And it is not "portable". Once you are set up, you really have to work at taking it off. Not a stealthy thing, believe me. But, it is FLAWLESS in operation. And cheap. Made from TWO readily available items. But! I just discovered that Axel Hecklau came up with the same idea, and made it not only more high-tech, but PORTABLE! That's all I'll say. But, I BOUGHT "Just A Cup" so that I am not only guilt-free in performing with it, but I now have a new high-tech device, with the creator's BLESSING to use it! Best $150+ I have spent in a long time.

With this new setup, The World Is Your Chop Cup! LOL!

Doug
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1713 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2017, Dougini wrote:
This is a good question. It is also valid to ask which Cups & Balls to outfit yourself. Combo cups? A separate Chop Cup? How elegant ya gonna get? For me, in most cases, elegance is good. What about impromptu? I have used a setup since about 2001 that I came up with, but never marketed. Charlie Justice came up with the EXACT same concept (but for a totally different effect). I'm sure a few other magicians (Think Axel Hecklau) knew how to put this new tech into use. Smile

This allows you to use any cup ya like. Wood, metal, leather...ya just need a gaffed ball or die (or whatever). If ya like wooden cups (and I do), go to The Pottery Shop, Michael's, A.C. Moore...that kinda place. Wooden cups of all kinds. Some finished, some not. Also game stores...pool, billiards, darts, have leather dice cups. Online...whoa. Too many! Every imaginable cup. Again, non-gimmicked! You really don't need the cup gaffed!

My setup is quite involved. And it is not "portable". Once you are set up, you really have to work at taking it off. Not a stealthy thing, believe me. But, it is FLAWLESS in operation. And cheap. Made from TWO readily available items. But! I just discovered that Axel Hecklau came up with the same idea, and made it not only more high-tech, but PORTABLE! That's all I'll say. But, I BOUGHT "Just A Cup" so that I am not only guilt-free in performing with it, but I now have a new high-tech device, with the creator's BLESSING to use it! Best $150+ I have spent in a long time.

With this new setup, The World Is Your Chop Cup! LOL!

Doug

Not having handled any cups other than the one we are all familiar with, I’m wondering how different they are from Craig Petty’s setup.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
2689 Posts

Profile of warren
For my purpose which is for paid performances the wooden cup I got from Hidden Wren Magic is perfect, it looks great, fits in my jacket pocket whilst still allowing for two big final loads, I came up with my own routine which does away with making it a guessing game between the spectators and myself which I never liked, more importantly I'm instantly reset at the conclusion of the routine ready for the next table.

As for impromptu situations I have plenty of other things which I can do so not being able to perform able to perform that routine wouldn't be an issue, having said that I'm pretty sure I could come up with a routine that uses just a regular cup if I put the time in.

I think the important thing is to get a cup that you like and then to come up with a routine yourself rather than being a carbon copy of everyone else as this is one of those items that almost asks you to put your own personality into it, that doesn't mean that you can't borrow from other routines after all there isn't really anything new.

When you do this I think it makes a big difference or at least it has for me, meaning I love using my Hidden Wren cup and I actually really enjoy performing the routine that I developed which of course comes through when performing it for spectators.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
7913 Posts

Profile of funsway
Regardless of your chosen cup, consider different uses than the standard. Check out my "Chop Sign" ebook for inspiration.

also, for those with a "where to put it" problem, consider the collapsible cup and effects described in "Scout Around,"
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
947 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Warren -
Thanks for the lead on Hidden Wren. Looks like they make beautiful cups. I have often considered wooden cups (chop and straight) but worry about durability - dropping or drying out and cracking. My material of preference is copper for durability and appearance.
Hudson
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
2689 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Dec 30, 2017, 55Hudson wrote:
Warren -
Thanks for the lead on Hidden Wren. Looks like they make beautiful cups. I have often considered wooden cups (chop and straight) but worry about durability - dropping or drying out and cracking. My material of preference is copper for durability and appearance.
Hudson

When I had chatted with Gareth over at Hidden Wren he informed me that the cups actually look better with age,if you are interested you should email Gareth as he's really helpful and his customer service is second to none.

Not that there is anything wrong with copper or other metal type cups some of them are really nice I just like the elegance of the wooden cups plus it adds an extra layer of deception which is something I like to add when possible.
SleightlyChris
View Profile
Veteran user
Virginia Beach
364 Posts

Profile of SleightlyChris
Has anyone considered a hip pouch? Ambitious card sells one that looks fantastic. Also considered if you wear a jacket, ball hold outs? Fabric Manipulation. Come sells ones for all size balls. So if you do consider carrying a bigger cup that could be your ticket.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
2689 Posts

Profile of warren
I've heard of a few magicians that use David Stones Splash gimmick to carry their cups.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1713 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Obviously, the problem with most loads is the weight. Stick a couple of lemons in your pocket and you get a bulge. Use a ball couple of ball holdouts and you get a sag. Makes me wonder how effective sponge balls are. Anybody on here using them as a final load? The best thing about them, in my mind, is that they immediately segway into another routine. I’m just not convinced that they’re as strong a finale.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2502 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Quote:
On Jan 10, 2018, jakeg wrote:
Obviously, the problem with most loads is the weight. Stick a couple of lemons in your pocket and you get a bulge. Use a ball couple of ball holdouts and you get a sag. Makes me wonder how effective sponge balls are. Anybody on here using them as a final load? The best thing about them, in my mind, is that they immediately segway into another routine. I’m just not convinced that they’re as strong a finale.

Because sponge balls are compressible, I think they are less impressive as a final load. I had a friend who used to open his walk-around table magic with a chop cup routine. He used a mini chop cup and a small red ball. At the end, he produced two red sponge balls as the final loads. Then, he went into his sponge ball routine. I suggested using yellow golf balls as the final loads instead. The color contrast and the solidity of the final loads elicited a much stronger reaction than the sponge balls. He then started his sponge ball routine by removing them from a bagless purse. (OK; it's lacking originality, but it least it has a strong impact.)
"I don't teach people stories about the coyote for them to tell. I AM the coyote. They tell stories about me."

-Pop Haydn
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
2689 Posts

Profile of warren
I carry my cup in my jacket side pocket along with a small basket ball and have a lemon in my other side jacket pocket and the bulge isn't that bad really and judging by the reactions I've been getting I consider it pocket space well used.
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
736 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
There is only one authentic Chop Cup: the one that Don Alan actually used. Don never used the "Don Alan Chop Cup". He used the original Al Wheatley "Chop Cup Junior" the many times I watched him do it. The Chop Cup Junior was made in England. I still have and use my original from 1963 or so.
mandrax
View Profile
New user
Montreal, Canada
59 Posts

Profile of mandrax
For me it is the mini Don Alan from Donnie at RNT2. If you use the Denis Loomis routine sold by Jamie D Grant, you have an excellent trick with you anytime anywhere.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
2689 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Jan 31, 2018, mandrax wrote:
For me it is the mini Don Alan from Donnie at RNT2. If you use the Denis Loomis routine sold by Jamie D Grant, you have an excellent trick with you anytime anywhere.

Good call however I don't think the Dennis Loomis routine is available any more as I was looking for this when researching chop cups and routines myself.
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
612 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Until recently I've always used the Don Alan chop cup from RNT2. But Joe Porper has a great chop cup set called "Cocktail Surprise." Porper's cup is not gimmicked. Instead, it comes with a wand that has the gimmick, and depending on how you hold the wand you'll vanish the ball or not. Plus, at the end of your routine, you can pour a drink out of the cup, which is a strong finish. So I'm using that now. It's about the size of the Don Alan mini, and handles beautifully.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
Jay
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern New Jersey
383 Posts

Profile of Jay
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2018, warren wrote:
Quote:

Good call however I don't think the Dennis Loomis routine is available any more as I was looking for this when researching chop cups and routines myself.

Warren--Jamie Grant has distribution rights to the Loomis routine. You can purchase it directly from him. Money well spent. It's an incredible routine and it's the only Chop Cup routine I do!

https://www.sendwonder.com/collections/a......-routine

Jay
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
2689 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2018, Jay wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2018, warren wrote:
Quote:

Warren--Jamie Grant has distribution rights to the Loomis routine. You can purchase it directly from him. Money well spent. It's an incredible routine and it's the only Chop Cup routine I do!

https://www.sendwonder.com/collections/a......-routine

Jay

Thanks for the link Jay much appreciated, it's a pity he doesn't sell it as I have to add import tax it bumps the price up quite a bit for just one routine as I have no use for a cups and balls routine right now. Plus I already have my own routine now which I'm really happy with although my routine does require a table.

You never know though someone may sell it cheaper in the for sale section if I'm lucky haha
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Which Chop cup to get....any recommendations ? (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL