The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Penguin Lecture (32 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Thanks for the heads-up, Tony. My Penguin Live lecture is now available on Penguin Magic! Stream it, download it, watch it anytime: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8078

And thank you, Oscar, for that thoughtful review of the lecture. I hope you'll post it on the Pengiun site!
BCE
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of BCE
Excellent lecture, and definitely recommended for anyone who liked the Hass and McBride Mystery School-filmed lectures.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On Jun 4, 2017, BCE wrote:
Excellent lecture, and definitely recommended for anyone who liked the Hass and McBride Mystery School-filmed lectures.

I really enjoyed David's lecture and will post comments at Penguin.
As for the Hass lecture, not so much.
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Thanks, Tony! And thank you too, BCE! Glad you enjoyed my lecture. Hope you'll post your comments on the Penguin site as well!
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Big thanks to everyone who has purchased my Penguin Live lecture. With your help, I reached the top ten list of magic inventors on the site! So far, the lecture has only one review — a great one! — so, if you enjoyed the lecture, if you found the ideas valuable, please consider posting a review. That'll help other kindred spirits find it. Thanks again!

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8078
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

I posted a detailed review, but it could take 1-2 days for them to post it (according to Penguin). My last review took 3 1/2 weeks to show up.
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Thank you, Tony! Makes me wonder: is there just one dude moderating all the reviews and comments and such for the Penguin site? If so, let's all chip in and buy him one of those ergonomic chairs. And a bottle of gin.
Lucien Astor
View Profile
Special user
Sunken R'lyeh
661 Posts

Profile of Lucien Astor
I was passingly familiar with David Parr. I have a copy of his book Paper Prophecies, had seen him on an old Eugene Burger video, and had read the occasional forum posting. I started the lecture expecting a pleasant diversion with a few gems. Not only did it exceed my expectations, but I finished the lecture energized & excited about the possibilities of my own magic practice. Not only are there great effects I plan on getting started with today and ideas I plan to adopt in the future, but David's discourse on theory is incredibly clear and practical.

This lecture isn't filled with new ways of divining pin codes, variations on centre tears, or re-hashings of Annemann, but is instead filled with something much rarer... uniqueness and originality. The effects are idiosyncratic in their inception and elegant in their execution, while at the same time being commercially performable in almost any situation from the stage to the living-room.

Many of the effects involve compelling objects that you can leave with the participant. The thaumatrope routine is going to be performed as is, and the paper fortune-teller will be made up with a more “esoteric” angle (David: thinking of quaternaries, the 4 elements will work. Earth, Air, Water, Flame/Fires). There is also a mental card trick that fooled me badly, a beautiful & classical effect with an origami bird, and and extremely engaging & dramatic interpretation of classic “acid test” called Dinner with the Borgias.

David's theoretical discourse was worth the price of admission. Instead of invoking vagueries like wonder and enchantment, he offers clear and cogent advice on structure, drawn from a lifetime on the stage as a dramatist. You will walk away with concrete advice on how to conceptualize and contextualize what you do. Whether you are interested in narrative on stage, or just like to do a series of tricks, you will have some tools to instantly improve your scripting, delivery or patter.

I am a long time fan of the Penguin lecture series, but am not often compelled to write a review. There will be something of substance for everyone on this video. Recommended.
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Thank you, Lucien, for the amazingly thoughtful review! Very much appreciated.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

David, you have 4 5 Star reviews up on Penguin now.
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Ah, yes! Tony posted a very thorough and well-reasoned review, which has now appeared on the Penguin site. Thanks, Tony!
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
I just watched about an hour of the lecture and I want to say to viewers: Be prepared to spend time with someone who talks with his hands. A lot.
RudolfRassen
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of RudolfRassen
Looking forward to watching it this weekend...
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Hope you enjoy it, RudolphRassen
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Lucien, your review has finally appeared on the Penguin site. Thank you!
RudolfRassen
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of RudolfRassen
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2017, David Parr wrote:
Hope you enjoy it, RudolphRassen

Just finished watching it and it was an excellent lecture! (Don't worry about talking with your hands - it wasn't that bad and I know people who are much, much worse...)

I really enjoyed "The Oldest Trick in the Book". I am always fond of origami type effects. I know what you mean about people keeping the item for long periods of time - I have done napkin roses for people and have seen it at their homes years later. The "made right in front of me" turns it into something really special...

Also enjoyed the theoretical discussion on structure.

If I am in Chicago, I will have to see the Magic Cabaret.
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Thank you, RudolfRassen! Glad you enjoyed the lecture. When you have an opportunity, I hope you'll post a review on the Penguin site. And if you plan a visit to the Windy City, do let me know. It's always fun when magi drop by!
RudolfRassen
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of RudolfRassen
Quote:
On Jun 17, 2017, David Parr wrote:
Thank you, RudolfRassen! Glad you enjoyed the lecture. When you have an opportunity, I hope you'll post a review on the Penguin site. And if you plan a visit to the Windy City, do let me know. It's always fun when magi drop by!

Already posted!
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Quote:
On Jun 17, 2017, RudolfRassen wrote:

Already posted!

Merci beaucoup! Much appreciated.
BCE
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of BCE
Is there a template for Fortune8 with the Penguin download? Revisiting the lecture again (as will likely do again soon) and I thought you mentioned a template but it's not with the download section (is it?). Thanks for any clarification.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Penguin Lecture (32 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL