The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ring-scape<< (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
At the risk of repeating myself ... this is just too good to miss.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMM1ha4nrDs

Perfect performance ... a must have routine in my opinion.

Incidentally, I just had to have this seeing the performance.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Nice take on a decades old idea. They have put together a good routine using the props. The routine really exploits the use of the gimmick/gaff. I think you could add just a couple of "real" ring and rope/ribbon moves and really sell the routine and props as being normal.

The original version I bought from Hank Morehouse in 1980 came a black shoelace. Not the best color against a dark suit/tux. I remade the prop using a neon yellow shoelace.

The patterned shoelace provided here is a big plus in my mind. It will help hide what needs be hidden (or at least masked).

This is strong enough for a stand-up platform routine (small venue), and for table hopping and walk-around performances.

Once you get it how about giving it a real life working review here.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Magic enthusiast have posted about this Video and product many times on the Café. They have never come back to post their experience with it. I guess because they are disappointed that there is a trick to it, and not real magic, or that they have to actually learn the routine, and that takes work to because as smooth as the demonstrator. Oh, and unknowledgeable people don't know that they don't have to hand everything out for examination. The handling proves everything is normal, move on to the next miracle.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I think I still have my old prop and If I can find it I think I'll work on this routine. It is hight energy and moves right along.

The routine is almost self-working once you have the props in hand and understand how it works. It is memorizing the sequence, practicing it until it is in muscle memory, then rehearsing it to make it flow as a fun and magical presentation. Clearly not as labor intensive as learning card manipulations or a coin Roll-Down.

Good observations Bill. I'm hoping the OP actually jumps on this and has some fun and performing it. The routine given is worthy of practice and performance.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You are right on Harry, it is one magical moment after another. It just the right length of a routine as well.

I just looked this up, I can't believe we are discussing a $20 trick. This is worth much more then only twenty dollars, and this comes with printed instructions and a DVD. All for just $20. Why discuss it, just buy it now. I have, I ways thought this would be $50 or more. Oh, I see the postage is a killer for such a small, light weight item. In todays mail order business, some businesses do not look for the best mailing oppositions available.

And it comes with an switch lace as well. What more could you ask for, a fantastic effect and everything comes that should be included with an outstanding effect. I say that because, years ago, in magic stores, the dealer would make up his own routine, many times, and when you got the trick, it was nothing like what you were shown.

Of course I know how it works, it is the props that I would be buying, and the handling.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I think you will be well pleased with your $20.00 investment. After you get it and master the routine you might like to give us a real world review of the quality of the props and the degree of difficulty of learning the routine.

It does sound like you get everything you need in one little box!

Al Cohen used to get me all the time! He'd demo a prop using his own routine and then I'd get home and the routine that came with the prop was nothing at all like (or as good as) Al's. I learned to take notes!
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
Seen this video just the other day looks really good. For 20.00 this is too good to pass on. I am ordering it for sure. Smile
It's An Illusion Unless I Can't Fix It Then It's A Reality.
John Vincelli
View Profile
New user
Montreal, QC
34 Posts

Profile of John Vincelli
This is old and I know I'm resurrecting it by posting it. I've used it for a few years. I use it a lot in walkaround and table hopping. It's funny how I came across this trick. Back in 2007 I bought a Fantasma magic kit for my ex girlfriend's nephew whom I got close to because we saw him all the time. My gf and I broke up and I never got to give it to him. So I opened up this beginner set and was pretty impressed with what was included. The briefcase itself was actually decent quality. The set was much better than the ones I had as a kid in the late 80s. Anyway, Ringscape was included. I didn't think much of it at the time until I came across the YouTube clip a few years later. The routine was nice and I learned the routine by watching it several times. The more I did it, the more I started to add some of my stuff to it. Even added well as bits from the usual ungimmicked ring on rope routines. I've been doing this routine now maybe 4 or 5 years at paid gigs.

Without giving away the method, what I like about the lace is the gimmick that makes the whole thing work can be moved to anywhere on the lace. It would be silly to move it to the tip of the lace (or at least I never found any reason to do so), but moving so that it's not smack dead in the middle is a nice touch IMO.
John knows!
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
My thanks, John. This is the type of "performance feedback" post we should be seeing the Café'

I do not perform this particular effect, but appreciate your spin and desire to share. Welcome and keep it up.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Https://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/saturn-mag......dvd.html

Not sure if this routine is now called "Ring Escape" by Fantasma Magic.
If so, the product cover is VERY misleading.

However, if this is the same product, then it now boasts 15 tricks (routines).

Anyone able to enlighten me please?
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Yes, same trick and props with different packaging and name. I think that there might be 15 separate tricks that can be done with a ring and lace, including the ones done using the gimmick and the ones that don't require using the gimmick.
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
340 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
Quote:
On Jul 16, 2021, wulfiesmith wrote:
Https://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/saturn-mag......dvd.html

Not sure if this routine is now called "Ring Escape" by Fantasma Magic.
If so, the product cover is VERY misleading.

However, if this is the same product, then it now boasts 15 tricks (routines).

Anyone able to enlighten me please?

The Fantasma Ring Escape is excellent!

I own the Tenyo version as well and can say that the Fantasma version is much better.

Why? Because of the ring itself and especially the shoelace instead of the ribbon the Tenyo version included.

Much easier to maneuver and perform a routine with ease.

The Fantasma set has a nice appearance too!

Do not be concerned about the 15 tricks mention on the box. Just the Fantasma style similar to Magic Sets boasting 100 tricks can be done.
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1681 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
I bought that trick in Fantasma, I was with my wife, and we went to Fantasma one afternoon, Magik was behind the counter and he did the whole routine for my wife she and I really enjoyed it. I bought the trick and while I practice, I was never even closed to Magik, he was so smooth with the ring escape.
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Don't be too hard on yourself pabloinus.
we have all made THAT mistake!
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
340 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2021, wulfiesmith wrote:
Don't be too hard on yourself pabloinus.
we have all made THAT mistake!

What mistake are you speaking of? Do you mean buying something that cannot be done as good as the demo or something else? If you are referring to not being able to do what you saw in the demo, I suggest that it is not the case with this. You CAN do what someone else did unless they used something not included in the box.

There are unlimited routines possible with that set. You do not have to duplicate another persons routine. First, I suggest that you get comfortable with the ring and shoelace by spending lots of time handling them. That can be done while watching TV.

At one point, when you feel that you have successfully mastered the props, I suggest that you develop a routine which you are comfortable with and remember to not overdo it. There needs to be a beginning, a middle, and certainly an end.

By the way, you can watch Magik do his routine on YouTube and attempt to learn it that way.
Feral Chorus
View Profile
Elite user
CA
495 Posts

Profile of Feral Chorus
I also saw Magick dem this at Fantasma. I was with my wife and daughters. Oohs and aahs all around. Instant buy and it has been a workhorse ever since. I was of the mind that an ungimmicked ring and string was preferable but this routine works really well for me just as Magick teaches it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ring-scape<< (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL