The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » AkiraFist reviews - Liquid Killer (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DougNicols
View Profile
Special user
839 Posts

Profile of DougNicols
Yes I'm the guy who actually created a shrine for the first LM DVD, did a dedicated fork softness review, and had a rolling suitcase full of forks...

First off, let me say that 13 years is too long a wait for a product update such as this. The re-sale value is questionable, due to many of us already modifying LM for our own needs. Equivalent to selling some kid "paint a glass jar" video, then coming back 13 years later and trying to sell “paint a glass jar with lid”. If he's been painting every day for 13 years, I’m sure he’s moved beyond that. You see this issue sprouting within LM2 reviews symptomized as "I'm already doing that. And that too".

I'll take that a step further and suggest a better DVD (although not practical) would be Morgan culminating all the great ideas people have inserted into their own repertoires for a 4+ hour LM bonus extravaganza. I can dream, can't I? Nevertheless, here's my humble review:

Better than Liquid Metal, in many ways.

This seems superior to LM in many ways. It’s apparent that Morgan has spent some time developing this (I disliked LM2). The DVD is about 53 minutes long and features Morgan in a studio environment with a first-person-view helping female hand to rub the fork occasionally. The trick involves two forks, just like LM, however the focus here is on bending all four tines in a decorative pattern, more so than the original. Morgan re-uses many features, like the corkscrew, pick a fork any fork, bigger motion covers smaller motion, please rub my fork, etc. However I think he’s solved one of the most problematic issues in LM - namely the “watch me bend it back” issue.

If you haven't done LM: After you're finished, if you use a soft fork as he suggests (Dominion) some guy in the audience will promptly remove a bend or two. Easily audience managed, however a pain to any newbie starting out. Many of us have switched to harder forks as a another solution, however those pain the hands after a 4-hour gig. For some reason, the few times I’ve done LK thus far nobody bends it back - possibly due to the twisted tine, not sure. And I’m finally back to Dominions, and my hands are thankful.

The ending star pattern looks better, and is smaller. Again, I've done too much LM so let me explain why I like that: I'm less likely to poke myself, ditto with he audience. It's more compact as a souvenir and appears tighter, thus more impossible and less likely for an audience member to think he can unbend easily. From sight, it just looks harder to undo.

What I liked:
- Watch at 1:37 of the main promo trailer, where he allows the handle to break off instead of the fork’s head. Interesting subtlety, eh? Sure would have liked to see the live performances for more material like that ...
- The final star pattern looks better, and is smaller.
- Maintains some of the best elements of LM (rubber pencil, starter corkscrew), but adding a superior ending.
- Less big hand motions.
- Less "blow on my fork" ... never was a fan.
- I think this routine flows better.
- Tine corkscrew reveal looks fantastic. You can see the distorted metal slowly appearing, like it’s seriously happening right then.
- Final product gets more attention on a table. Oddity, I know but when this is sitting on the table it looks more mysterious than the original LM fork. Waiters would normally say "you bending my forks, lol", but on this one, they’re more “wtf is that” reaction.
- $25 is a great price for this.

What I disliked:
- No live performances? Really? They’re used in the intro, so obviously someone filmed them. How difficult is it to slam them together in Premiere Pro?
- DVD only, no download option.
- The "TV rights not included with purchase" limitation.
- Advertised as 360 degree friendly, although if you’re not wearing a jacket this isn’t true.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Regular user
If only I didn't have a wife and kid I would have MUCH more than
176 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts on this, Doug Nicols! As a newbie to metal bending I really appreciate you sharing some insights and I like the way you think about this. Very helpful! I will buy Liquid Killer and take the hand-friendly route... Hope these forks are available in Holland... Smile
Whatever you do, don't become the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » AkiraFist reviews - Liquid Killer (1 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL