The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Source for harvey rosenthal pop-up move (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi everybody,

Can anyone suggest a source for a thorough, detailed description of Harvey Rosenthal's pop-up move? This is a method for obtaining a pinky break under the top card of a deck (and I think under the first several cards at the top) using just the left hand. I've sometimes seen it referred to as the "bubble break." There seem to be lots of books and magazines that discuss the move, but many are out of print or quite expensive. I own one of Greg Wilson's DVD's; he explains the move, but so briefly that I wasn't able to figure it out.

Roberto Giobbi apparently describes the move in his book, Hidden Agenda. Since I'm a Giobbi fan, this might be a good candidate. Does anyone own the book who can speak to how clear and detailed the description is?

Thanks for whatever help people can offer.

Regards,

Bob
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Daryl's Ambitious Card Omnibus by Stephen Minch contains the best description I have seen. It is also described by Minch in Secrets of a Peurto Rican Gambler. Minch explains that Rosenthal developed the same concept independently and published it in his Packet Switches.
This is the only method I employ for establishing a break beneath the top card with one hand.
It is also Ideal for a one handed preparation for Vernon's Depth Illusion. Once the card has been "popped up", simply let the inner left corner pop off the thenar and you're all set.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
I believe you can also find it in one of his many folios in Pallbearers. I wanna say Trapdoor, too. But I don't own Trapdoor so I can't say for sure.

I wouldn't say it's better than the pinky count, but for a single card break you can do worse.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks for all the info, MagicFish. Do you know whether Minch's description is just as good in "Gambler"? I'm trying to find the least expensive route to this move. Also, does the move allow two cards to pop up, as a DL get ready?

Bob
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On May 14, 2017, Rupert Pupkin wrote:
I believe you can also find it in one of his many folios in Pallbearers. I wanna say Trapdoor, too. But I don't own Trapdoor so I can't say for sure.

I wouldn't say it's better than the pinky count, but for a single card break you can do worse.

For a single card, it is superior to the pinky count.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Bob, as I stated before, I feel the Omnibus description is best but the Gambler description is sufficient.
Both are excellent books.
How do you know of this move Bob?
What got you thinking about it if I may ask?
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
MagicFish,

I think the move was mentioned as the "Bubble Break" in David Forrest's color-changing deck routine "Colour Burn." Too hard for me right now, but maybe someday...

As a beginner (I've been studying magic and practicing basic sleights for about a year but have performed only a little and only for my family), I'm looking for a good way to unobtrusively create a break at the top of the deck -- currently mostly for the Braue Reversal, but also for the DL. I followed Giobbi's injunction (in CC 1) to find a way to use the pinky count that fit one's hand; he says that strength is of secondary importance, with coordination first. To my surprise and delight it took me only a few days to develop what I think is a pretty good pinky count. But I have two problems with it: first, I can't avoid a noise when the little finger releases a card and slaps lightly against my ring finger. And second, it takes me a long time to get the break under the second card when I'm practicing a DL.

So I'm looking for alternatives, and Rosenthal's move seems promising. Meanwhile I'm practicing tricks from Fulves' self-working book and from Bob Longe's books. The latter are nice because they do include some easy sleight of hand.

Well, that's more than you asked! I hope it satisfies your curiosity, and I'd welcome any advice.

Bob
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On May 14, 2017, magicfish wrote:
Quote:

I would rather a secret action occur at the back of the deck than the front.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Quote:
On May 15, 2017, Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

I illustrated a couple of Harvey's pamphlets back in the '70's. At that time I received personal instruction from Harvey on the move. If performed properly, there's nothing to see at the front of the deck
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On May 15, 2017, Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nothing happens at the front.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Bob, I would be happy to teach you this move personally.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Pressure is applied by the thumb at the front of the deck.

However, I concede this is an aesthetic preference, as I try to avoid having the thumb rest on top. I much prefer the deck higher in the hand, and nearer the fingertips.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
The pressure is invisible.
Like Nicholas stated above, absolutely nothing happens in the front.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Many thanks for your offer, magicfish. I've PM'd you. Thanks also, BTW for suggesting Elmsley's book in the "little finger break w/o white line" thread.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Bob, I'm not very good with computers. I don't even own one. Never have. But I will put a little video on my phone when I get a chance and try to get it to you privately.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks -- no hurry! I'll enjoy it when you find the time.
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1569 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
If you don't mind learning from video, Daryl teaches it quite well in his "encyclopedia of card sleights". That's where I learned it over 15 years ago.
Tom Gagnon
View Profile
V.I.P.
275 Posts

Profile of Tom Gagnon
The Rosenthal Pop-up Move can be found in Packet Switches Three by Karl Fulves(ref p. 184).
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Bobby and Tom.

Tom, thanks for the suggestion. In theory I'd love to buy PS3, but all the copies I've come across have been really high.

Bobby, do you know which volume Daryl teaches the move in? The most comprehensive list of sleights I found was on Penguin Magic, but it didn't list "pop". I'm guessing vol. 5, since that has DL's, pinky count, bevel count... *Maybe* the move I'm looking for is also called the bevel count, but I've seen "bevel" refer to a move from early in Expert Card Magic that uses two hands.. I'm looking for the sleight that's done with one hand only. Thanks...
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1569 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Hey Bob. I can't say for sure but if it's not on the pinky break and double lift section of the dvds, then it will be on the "tilt" section. He uses it as a one handed tilt get ready as well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Source for harvey rosenthal pop-up move (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL