The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Sympathetic Silks Variation (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

towledge
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of towledge
I don't do stage or kids shows these days but was intrigued by a recent Henry Evans Monday Night Magic NYC show. He did a variation of Sympathetic Silks where 3 different colored knotted silks are seen in a glass (in unknown order to audience). 3 matching colored silks are then offered to a volunteer to tie up in any order he chooses and of course when the silks are pulled from the glass they match the order. Reminds me of the old "Stratospheres" kids trick I used to do all the time.

Just wondering if anyone has seen this in print...Rice for instance or has seen it performed elsewhere. I don't know if it's original to Henry Evans or not.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
As a kid I read an effect in a magic book (unknown title but pre-1950) using the "three color" principle and loops made of colored paper --
the magician's chain matched the spectator's, and the secret being dusted contact cement that could be separated and re-fasted at will.
It was mentioned that it could be done with colored handkerchief's or ribbons as often was by Oriental Magicians.
Paper was used to be different -- so, I would offer that this effect is quite old.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Rice sells this trick ( and it predates even the birth of Henry Evans) and it is marketed as " As You Like It".
visit me @ JNealShow.com
towledge
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of towledge
Yes I found it described in Rice's Ency. Silk Magic Vol. 3 as well. Thank you.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I think I will purchase "As you Like It" from Rice. I have been meaning to do "Sympathetic Silks" for an elderly audience performance, and my understanding is that "As You Like It" uses the same silks. I hope it comes with the other items needed to do both.
KJ
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I do have a question: They have the 24" for $135, but the 18" is only $80. I am torn between the two. My instinct says to get the 18" and save some dough, but do any of you think that I might regret not getting the larger silks?

KJ
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
If you are only planning to do the "as you like it" matching colors effect... 18" is just fine.
If you have the slightest inclination to also use the silks for a traditional sympathetic silks... get the 24"
It is easier to hide the concealed knots (of the pre-tied silks) in a 24" volume than and 18" volume.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Thanks, JNeal. I decided to get the 24" because I am planning on doing Sympathetic Silks.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
BTW, I had never purchased anything from Rice. They were really great to deal with! I highly recommend them.

http://www.silkkingmagic.com/index.htm

KJ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Sympathetic Silks Variation (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL