The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The JAMM Monthly Magic Magazine (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
MadisonH
View Profile
Special user
884 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Some of you may already know about this, but I imagine a large majority of you will have never heard of it.

I must admit, I typed this post up several days ago with the intention of posting it, but I got very selfish and decided I would rather not share this information with other magicians because it is too valuable. So, I decided against posting. I have now decided to post because the writer of the magazine deserves more attention.

There is an electronic monthly 20-30 page magic magazine called The JAMM and it is the best subscription service available right now in my mind. It's $10 a month, and WELL worth the cost. It seriously has some of the best material I've ever encountered in it. A quick google search of "The JAMM Magic Magazine" will provide you with a link where you can subscribe. They are written by someone who I genuinely believe is one of the funniest and most forward-thinking magicians of our generation. He is taking magic to a whole new level and yet, there doesn't seem to be any buzz about it whatsoever. Most of the tricks are meant to be performed casually for friends in a non-professional environment; however, I believe a lot of the material can easily be translated into material that could be performed professionally.

Let me just tell you a little about the content. Fair warning, I'm going to be a bit vague because I think the material and presentations are too good for too much to be revealed in an open forum.

Issue #1: This issue has perhaps the most convincing mind reading demonstration there is (well more like a prediction.) A spectator genuinely names any word. A sealed envelope is opened up and it has the word written on a piece of paper inside in nice, big letters. Now, a LOT is left out of this description of the effect. But this is the effect the spectator will remember. And actually, what is left out is what is memorable and will add to the experience the spectator has. Essentially, the presentation is you claim a private investigator has been following her and has pieced together what word she would think of based on her past. I promise this is a KILLER.

Next there is an essay loaded with multiple ideas for how to get a stranger to ask you to show them a magic trick. Think about how beneficial this is to the performance. Rather than forcing yourself onto them, they beg you to show them something. And no, none of the techniques mentioned are cheesy or childish. They are all ideas that can and should really be used in the real world.

Next there is a review for Starlight by Paul Harris Presents and one little presentational thing which really kicks the trick up a notch.

Next there is a review for Acme Hole

Next there is a review for the Ox Bender. This review includes hands down THE BEST presentation for a coin bend ever conceived (yes, I really believe this.) It makes the bend unexpected and it will make the spectator want to tell others about their experience. I will never present a coin bend in any other way after reading this.

This issue ends with an effect utilizing the "undo" feature on gmail. Essentially, you can send an email through gmail and then you have approximately 30 seconds where you can hit the "undo" button which makes it undo sending the email. The effect revolves around this idea and is essentially the best presentation for a triumph that I've ever seen.

All that just from the first issue! Here are some of the highlights from the other issues:

Issue #2: There is an incredible effect with alphabet cards which is presented as a game. One round is played and the spectator wins the performer’s dollar. The performer suggests a chance to win his money back so they a play again with a "winner takes all" version. The spectator wins again. It turns out, the bill the spectator has been holding from the first round has a prediction written on it which is 100% wrong on all accounts, and yet, the spectators will be dumbfounded at how inaccurate it is because it is accurate in its inaccuracy. Confusing, I know, but so much fun and a truly amazing effect.

This issue contains a review for P.A.T.H.S by Matt Mello and it includes an idea in the review which amps up Matt's “progressive negative” anagrams to a whole new level where they never say a word, and yet you can still know the word they are thinking of.

Issue #3: This issue contains the best and most logical Ambitious card EVER. Yes, I'm being that bold. I have performed this routine and it absolutely slays a lay audience. It's quirky, it's fun, it’s very powerful, and it makes sense from beginning to end. It is also very practical and great for table hopping. As a matter of fact, I think this is a great way to introduce yourself at a table and have the customers intrigued from the beginning. I believe you could walk up to a table, perform this one single routine, leave the table, and everyone would be begging for more and have an experience they would tell others about. All from a version of ambitious card? Yes.

This issue also has a weird presentational concept which could be used for various routines. The presentation revolves around Virtual Reality. The spectator wears a VR headset and sees unbelievable technology. This routine idea is essentially the opposite of paper balls over the head because the one spectator you're performing for doesn't really experience any magic, but everyone else watching does experience magic. Also, the people who are really experiencing the magic are pretending they are seeing a magic trick which they really ARE seeing which is a very strange scenario. It's really a very strange idea which could work for multiple magic tricks and it’s loads of fun for everyone involved.

Issue #4: This is the current issue and it is the best one so far in my opinion.

This issue contains an incredibly clean anagram for all classic Disney movies. It's clean because there will always only be 5 letters mentioned to get to any movie and none of the letters are obvious to the character. As if this isn't enough, a presentation is provided for how to use anagrams in a stage show and it is PHENOMENAL. I will be using this in a show very soon. It looks like real mind reading and it’s a fun process for the audience to watch. Also, there is never a miss on a letter. As a matter of fact, the misses are essentially turned into hits. This is the best presentation for Anagrams I've ever seen. It's based on a Matt Mello idea, but it's brought to a whole new level. I love this and will absolutely use it.

This issue ends with what I believe is the best card revelation ever. It is a crazy presentation about a fairy that helps you do magic and reads minds, and then the spectators very vividly experiences the fairy’s mind reading abilities in a way which will stick with them for the rest of their lives. When it boils down to it, it's just a card revelation (of a thought of card.) But it is an effect which will stick with your spectator for years to come. I have performed this one and the spectator was speechless. It also leaves the spectator with one of the best souvenirs which they will actually WANT to show others.

People... what are you waiting on? Go subscribe right now! I am clearly very impressed with this and genuinely believe it's the best value in magic and yet, it has flown completely under the radar of many (which is perhaps a good thing for those of us "in the know")

Madison
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of puggo
Its the wrong place to go for that 'instant trick' gratification, but if you want inspiring, spectator/participant focused magic for casual situations that will also make you think about your professional work, this really is to be recommended.
The subscription also helps support the blog, which has had some of the most thought provoking posts I've read in years.
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
753 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
I completely agree with what Madison wrote. Often you want to keep the best stuff in magic on the down low. But the author of this magazine is just too talented to keep quiet about. Magic needs people like him. And I am hoping that helping to spread the word will help keep him sharing his wonderful ideas with the rest of us.

A lot of the very biggest names in magic are already on board with his work.

Great review as always, Madison!
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Profile of Karl M
Where do you buy it from
MadisonH
View Profile
Special user
884 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Quote:
On May 18, 2017, Karl M wrote:
Where do you buy it from

I tell you where to find it in the review above Smile
MadisonH
View Profile
Special user
884 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Quote:
On May 18, 2017, puggo wrote:
Its the wrong place to go for that 'instant trick' gratification, but if you want inspiring, spectator/participant focused magic for casual situations that will also make you think about your professional work, this really is to be recommended.
The subscription also helps support the blog, which has had some of the most thought provoking posts I've read in years.

I agree on all accounts you mentioned. This definitely isn't the learn it and perform it within five minutes. All of these effects require effort and time, but they are all worth while in the end. And yes, after reading these (and the blog) I have a totally different outlook on performances in my professional environments as well.

Quote:
On May 18, 2017, Bob_Hummer wrote:
Great review as always, Madison!

Thanks Bob! I'm glad you enjoyed it Smile
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Profile of Karl M
Quote:
On May 18, 2017, MadisonH wrote:
Quote:
Where do you buy it from

Theres no link their mate from what I can see
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Special user
962 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Where do you buy it from

Try reading paragraph 3.

The material may be above your reading level, though.
MadisonH
View Profile
Special user
884 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Where do you buy it from

All the information you need it there.

But I will be honest, I don't think you'll like it. It's a very different way of thinking about performing and requires an investment on the performance side.

Madison
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Profile of Karl M
Found it! Good clues
Jack Straw
View Profile
Special user
Wichita
592 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Karl, aren't you into the business end of magic these days?

But, as the very astute Tim Cavendish says above, this really will be above your reading level.
RSchlutz
View Profile
V.I.P.
464 Posts

Profile of RSchlutz
I 100% agree the website the Jerx and the magazine are amazing. They offer a different way of thinking.

Ryan
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
753 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
Steve Bryant is a big fan as well!

http://littleegyptmagic.com/magic_april2017.html
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Profile of Karl M
Quote:
On May 18, 2017, Jack Straw wrote:

But, as the very astute Tim Cavendish says above, this really will be above your reading level.

BOom heres the link http://www.thejerx.com/the-jamm/ its $15 for one issue what is three times what magazines like geni have got and its only got 20 or 30 pages and geni has got 100 or more so I don't get it
VMagical
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of VMagical
Then it's clearly not for you.

I'm a subscriber and love it. Smile
MazingMandy
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of MazingMandy
Quote:
On May 19, 2017, Karl M wrote:
Quote:

BOom heres the link http://www.thejerx.com/the-jamm/ its $15 for one issue what is three times what magazines like geni have got and its only got 20 or 30 pages and geni has got 100 or more so I don't get it

Is a long book always better than a short one?

Anyway, most talk on The Jerx gets deleted in short order here. Can;t understand why......
MadisonH
View Profile
Special user
884 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Quote:
On May 19, 2017, Karl M wrote:
Quote:

Told you you wouldn't like it. I must be psychic Smile

I was purposefully trying not to mention the site so that perhaps this could last a little longer because I genuinely believe it's a disservice to the magic community for the Café to continually delete something over an issue that was years ago.
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Profile of Karl M
I might buy it any way mate just to see what all of the fuss is about it
MadisonH
View Profile
Special user
884 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Quote:
On May 19, 2017, writeall wrote:
Sounds interesting. Who puts it out?

The previous page has the link which tells who puts it out. I'm trying to say as little as possible because sometimes the Café moderators don't like this person.
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
753 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
Either way - the writer is anonymous. So nobody really knows who he is. But he is based in New York.

He wants to keep his ID secret because he puts a lot of effort into his ambitious effects. And he doesn't want his wide circle of laymen friends stumbling across the blog and reading about all the effort he puts into these seemingly spontaneous miracles.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The JAMM Monthly Magic Magazine (17 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL