The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The JAMM Monthly Magic Magazine (24 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
931 Posts

Profile of writeall
Quote:
On May 19, 2017, MadisonH wrote:
Quote:
On May 19, 2017, writeall wrote:
Sounds interesting. Who puts it out?

The previous page has the link which tells who puts it out.

Quote:
On May 20, 2017, Bob_Hummer wrote:
Either way - the writer is anonymous. So nobody really knows who he is. But he is based in New York.

Both anonymous and not? That's a nice trick.
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1001 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Quote:
On May 20, 2017, writeall wrote:
Quote:
On May 19, 2017, MadisonH wrote:
Quote:
On May 19, 2017, writeall wrote:
Sounds interesting. Who puts it out?

The previous page has the link which tells who puts it out.

Quote:
Either way - the writer is anonymous. So nobody really knows who he is. But he is based in New York.

Both anonymous and not? That's a nice trick.

My post was referring to his pseudonym.
Dale A. Hildebrandt
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of Dale A. Hildebrandt
Quote:

He wants to keep his ID secret because he puts a lot of effort into his ambitious effects. And he doesn't want his wide circle of laymen friends stumbling across the blog and reading about all the effort he puts into these seemingly spontaneous miracles.

"Andy" is not quite as anonymous as he wishes. His domain is masked through an SEO company known in the online community for sending SPAM about SEO, and getting heavily reported. The company is called "Result First". When you check their domain, it is tied to Shaina Williams, who is mentioned as a CEO for Tangence Inc run by a Chitra. Tangence Inc was doing the same thing as Result First, spamming people with "how to get the most out of SEO", until it fell off and became Result First. Of course, "Andy" probable alias "Joe Mckay" alias "Bob_hummer" has the exact same musical tastes as our friend Chitra over on facebook. Considering both Shaina and Chitra live in San Jose CA I would hazard a guess that at the very very least "Andy" has either worked or contracted with these two particular companies. It also seems rather weird that these two events happened at these two times, *maybe it is just coincidence, or maybe this is one of Anyd's "ambitious" tricks*: Shaina Williams from Result First's twitter account goes dark at the same time Andy's The Magic Circle J*rk blog disappears. Shaina's twitter account comes back on just as "Andy"'s new blog goes live. & Andy has claimed to be an SEO expert who doesn't want to do that job any more and wants to focus all of his attention on the blog........just as Tangence Inc and Result First SEO companies were getting mega super heat for their shady practices.

It could all just be a coincidence, but my "psychic powers" say Andy lives California, not New York, and that he has family overseas. Or he just went to a very elaborate ruse to hide his identity while implicating innocent people who are not so innocent in order to justify his overzealousness at being bitter at the companies & the magic world.
Visit
Dale'sBlog: StuffByDale.blogspot.com
Personal Site: dalemagic.strikingly.com
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
'Andy' doesn't want people trying to figure out his identity for the reason I gave before. No conspiracies involved (as far as I can tell). Simply because he doesn't want his friends reading the "behind the scenes" details about his magic.

As for me being Andy? Yeah - you got me! lol

Joe Mckay
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
By the way - if you want to see my review for Andy's (out of print) book - you can find it here:

http://forums.geniimagazine.com/viewtopic.php?t=48843

It won Book of The Year (2016) here on The Magic Café.

His blog has been going now for about 2.5 years (I think?). So there is a ton of information for new readers to catch up with. Hopefully stuff like my review will be of use to them.
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
And here is a review from Jamy Ian Swiss:

http://www.magicana.com/news/blog/jerx-volume-one

Also - Andy's first blog ended in 2005. And Twitter wasn't set up until 2006.

So I think Dale's theory above needs a little tweaking.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Hi Dale,

Do you have a publication date for Sacred Tricks?

Or has that project been abandoned?
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
There are a lot of links on this thread. So - I will cut through the noise and just link to my 4 favourite tricks from his blog. It is hard picking my favourites. But these 4 are the ones that always jump into my head:

http://www.thejerx.com/blog/2015/9/28/cryptophasia

http://www.thejerx.com/blog/2015/6/22/cellphone-magic

http://www.thejerx.com/blog/2016/8/17/in-search-of-lost-time

http://www.thejerx.com/blog/2015/7/26/th......-mystery

Trust me - he has a ton of other great tricks. Along with really interesting takes on magic theory. But I just hope that with 2.5 years of blog posts to work through - the highlights above will be of use to others.

I am a bit maniacal about Andy's work. Simply because I was a fan of the original blog and was really sad when he disappeared (with no warning) for about ten years. As such - to have him back in magic, updating his blog on a near daily basis for 2.5 years along with publishing a book has been the main highlight of my time in magic (I have studied magic for 21 years). And the really amazing thing is that during the time off from his blog - he has become a remarkable creator of magic. Coming up with stuff totally unlike anything else in magic.

I honestly feel magicians should get behind creative people like Andy. Our art form is dependent on a very small number of creators who are doing the thinking for everyone else. To paraphrase Al Baker.

Andy will continue to have great ideas for the rest of his life. And I just want to try and drum up enough support for him so that he will continue to share some of them with the rest of us.
necro555
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of necro555
Any news on Sacred Tricks, Dale?

I noticed you stopped responding on the Genii forum too after someone pointed it out in your Jerx rant here, which didn't have much traction anyway: http://forums.geniimagazine.com/viewtopi......#p325571
MazingMandy
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of MazingMandy
Wow, just read all of that, plus the linked Café thread:- http://themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic......start=40

Did you ever send these people the book, or return their money?
m.o.pfeil
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of m.o.pfeil
I really love the blog and the JAMM. Might not be everyones language and style, but for the practical knowledge therein it is great.
I'd rather be read than (w)ri(gh)t(e)
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1001 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Quote:
On May 26, 2017, m.o.pfeil wrote:
I really love the blog and the JAMM. Might not be everyones language and style, but for the practical knowledge therein it is great.

I agree. As a matter of fact, today's blog post (May 26) has some incredible magic theory and ab unbelievably powerful presentation for the classic Gemini effect.
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
Denis Behr has archived Andy's book on his site. So you can find an overview of the contents here:

http://www.conjuringarchive.com/show.php?book=1195
Jason Messina
View Profile
Elite user
420 Posts

Profile of Jason Messina
I subscribed to this and have seen 2 issues so far. I think Andy is has some of the best thinking in magic today. And as far as I'm concerned, his ideas for different kinds of performing presentations and contexts is unrivaled. I just started reading the blog and there is sooo much good stuff. Can't wait for the next issue.

Thanks to Madison for the recommendation.
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1001 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Quote:
On May 27, 2017, Jason Messina wrote:
I subscribed to this and have seen 2 issues so far. I think Andy is has some of the best thinking in magic today. And as far as I'm concerned, his ideas for different kinds of performing presentations and contexts is unrivaled. I just started reading the blog and there is sooo much good stuff. Can't wait for the next issue.

Thanks to Madison for the recommendation.

I knew you'd like it Smile

I can't recommend it enough.
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1001 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
June's issue of JAMM came out yesterday and it's a doozy as all of them have been.

The first effect taught in this one is an ACAAN unlike any other I've be seen. It will UNDOUBTEDLY leave the spectator talking about it and remembering it for years to come. It is an interesting method which could be used for other effects besides ACAAN's. The method ales a lateral approach to allow the spectator to be incredibly fooled by something which would actually be pretty simple to explain otherwise. This is very clever stuff. A huge part of Andy's work is to remove the magician from the magic moment. I feel this is taking that to a whole new level because in the end, the spectator gives you no credit at all. There's no slight of hand in it either. I will definitely be doing this.

Then there is a review of a terrible trick which was fun to read because Andy actually went and tried this terrible routine out.

The last trick in this issue is awesome. A large majority of it takes place in the dark. The other parts of the routine are only lit by candle light. It is a ritual where you pray to St. Augustine to find a spectator's missing item and the ending is killer and truly impossible. It uses a double blank deck of cards and feels unlike any other trick I've encountered. I'll definitely be performing this one too.

I'll report back with how the performances go Smile

Madison
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
Great review, Madison. Looks like I have competition for the title of number one Jerx fan!

I am saving this issue for the weekend. Too distracted by politics (it is election day here in the UK) to settle down with some quality magic just now. Nothing more fun than waiting a few days before diving into the latest peek inside Andy's big ol' brain.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1760 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
I like the blog, but I suspect (among with some others) that most of the anecdotes of elaborate magic tricks are largely made-up Smile
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1001 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Quote:
On Jun 8, 2017, Terrible Wizard wrote:
I like the blog, but I suspect (among with some others) that most of the anecdotes of elaborate magic tricks are largely made-up Smile

Perhaps. But I highly doubt it. I believe Andy is a man of his word and if he says he did it, he probably did.

However, even if it IS made up, the routines are still workable and the value isn't reduced at all.

Madison
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
I really enjoyed Andy's trick that takes place in the dark.

It also gives me an excuse to dig up another trick that takes place in the dark.

Check out Nyctalopia by Paul Curry (The Jinx and P.M.E). It is one of those gems that are buried in print.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The JAMM Monthly Magic Magazine (24 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL