The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Choose Me - Paul Brook (50 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
m.o.pfeil
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of m.o.pfeil
Given the discussion not a Troll, but a Trollram....a subtle one.
I'd rather be read than (w)ri(gh)t(e)
Paul Brook
View Profile
Special user
UK
887 Posts

Profile of Paul Brook
Quote:
On May 23, 2017, m.o.pfeil wrote:
Given the discussion not a Troll, but a Trollram....a subtle one.

Trollram?
PAUL BROOK

He Knows Shop - All of my mentalism books, PDFs and props Smile

Certified Mentalism A beautifully illustrated hardback book full of real world mentalism Smile

FREE MENTALISM Free hard-hitting effects, routines and methods, just a click away Smile

MAGIC TV INTERVIEW An deep dive interview with Craig Petty, nothing held back! Smile
Andrew Sway
View Profile
Loyal user
-------
257 Posts

Profile of Andrew Sway
At least we are all Trollkarls aren't we? Smile

http://en.bab.la/dictionary/swedish-english/trollkarl
m.o.pfeil
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of m.o.pfeil
Paul: Not so subtle Troll / Olram wordgame...
Anyway, great effect and very good explanation!
I'd rather be read than (w)ri(gh)t(e)
Paul Brook
View Profile
Special user
UK
887 Posts

Profile of Paul Brook
Quote:
On May 23, 2017, m.o.pfeil wrote:
Paul: Not so subtle Troll / Olram wordgame...
Anyway, great effect and very good explanation!

D'oh...How did I not see that?

Excellent, love being fooled, thank you Smile

Also thank you for the very kind words about 'Choose Me' too.

Cheers,

Psul
PAUL BROOK

Certified Mentalism A beautifully illustrated hardback book full of real world mentalism Smile

FREE MENTALISM Free hard-hitting effects, routines and methods, just a click away Smile

MAGIC TV INTERVIEW An deep dive interview with Craig Petty, nothing held back! Smile
ed wood
View Profile
Special user
742 Posts

Profile of ed wood
Whilst it is quite clear that this Karl fellow is a troll, there isn't a single thread he doesn't manage to derail and make about him, I'm yet to decide whether he is a genuine troll or a fake account. I find it hard to believe that anyone could be this crass and be genuine. Either way he needs to go. Time and time again he is ruining threads where he is clearly out of his depth with his ignorant comments. The mods need to ban him, it might help if people collectively call upon the mods to do so.
Like the sound of this effect. As paul says it sounds perfect for tradeshows.
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3237 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I have had this effect for several days now and the more I think about it and play about with it, the more I like it. It is all so simple and will leave your assisting spectator intrigued, impressed and definitely wanting to see more. And this is why Paul (and I am now sure others) use it so successfully in trade shows and for potential bookers. It is a real gem.

Also, it is worth playing around with the handling. I personally was not keen on one 'move' but there are plenty more that are equally effective and am more comfortable with.

Neil
Paul Brook
View Profile
Special user
UK
887 Posts

Profile of Paul Brook
Quote:
On May 23, 2017, ed wood wrote:

Like the sound of this effect. As paul says it sounds perfect for tradeshows.

Thanks Ed, it's also great for just a quick piece of mentalism in any situation, I don't know many mentalism effects that take 60 seconds or less to perform.

Great opener for any close-up/walk around mentalism set.

Cheers,

Paul
PAUL BROOK

Paul Brook
View Profile
Special user
UK
887 Posts

Profile of Paul Brook
Quote:
On May 23, 2017, NeilS wrote:
I have had this effect for several days now and the more I think about it and play about with it, the more I like it. It is all so simple and will leave your assisting spectator intrigued, impressed and definitely wanting to see more. And this is why Paul (and I am now sure others) use it so successfully in trade shows and for potential bookers. It is a real gem.

Also, it is worth playing around with the handling. I personally was not keen on one 'move' but there are plenty more that are equally effective and am more comfortable with.

Neil

Super glad you are enjoying it, I think it can be a 'grower'. Due to the minimal nature of 'Choose Me' I think it's easy to initially not realise the potential power of the effect and I can honestly say that from performing it literally thousands of times, that it is very strong.

I have shared this with some other performers who have come up with various other handlings, so I know that the way I do this isn't the perfect/only way to achieve the outcome. I bet there will be some great variations as more and more people start using it in the real world; which I would love to hear as I still use this and will probably use it for the rest of my career.

Cheers,

Paul
PAUL BROOK

Bryce
View Profile
Regular user
Oxon, UK
108 Posts

Profile of Bryce
What kind of alterations do I need to make to my business cards and I am assuming I need to switch out the selected card after it has been shown?
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
No modifications and they can pocket the card the moment they take it. It would actually be a great effect for a networking event where you want to hand your cards out with an effect but don't have as long as you might want for a name divination for example.
The new Elysian Duets, marked cards featuring my unique Optical Marking System:
-+: https://phillsmithcreative.com/products/elysian-duets :+-
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3237 Posts

Profile of NeilS
It could even be used with blank cards and with the spectator taking (and keeping if they wish) the one they chose - 'Choose Me', which they did.
seamagu
View Profile
Special user
885 Posts

Profile of seamagu
Got this today....I like it, I'm pretty sure I'll be using this Smile

Thanks for great effect Paul

Séa
I love post its Smile
Paul Brook
View Profile
Special user
UK
887 Posts

Profile of Paul Brook
Quote:
On May 25, 2017, Bryce wrote:
What kind of alterations do I need to make to my business cards and I am assuming I need to switch out the selected card after it has been shown?

Nothing is switched out and the business cards are just your normal business cards. Whatever the person you are performing for takes, that is the one they look at and can keep.

It would seem that people like to go on metaphoric fishing expeditions (especially in Private Messages) which I could understand if I were charging some sort of ridiculous fees. However, I don't' feel that £15 is asking much at all considering this is right out of my professional repertoire; in fact, I priced this to make it accessible.

Is it just me?

Cheers,

Paul
PAUL BROOK

Argon
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
159 Posts

Profile of Argon
Hi Paul,
I am not sure I can help, but it is not you!

It is the way this market has evolved. Most of us have more effects than we can use or even read. Every day new eye popping effects appear.
I have not even finished your penguin lecture yet but here I am planning to buy choose me.

The low price is also not making things easier, as you usually get what you pay for. Now I am sure in your case it is way underpriced as I have never seen one of your works that has disappointed me. But there are a lot of people that just take a old principle and fabricate a new routine and sell it as a revelation. I have seen it and I have bought it. Even high priced products sometimes disappoint. So we buyers are often disrespectful of you creators. But I think it is not bad will, just the case of being burnt once to often.
Especially with products without uncut video feeds there is general distrust.

Only many positive reviews help here.

Sadly you as a great and respected creator suffer from this effect.

Do not be frustrated and keep up the great work. I will post my review after I have found the time to buy it.

Cheers
Stefan
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Would this work with larger cards (index cards) for stage?
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Paul Brook
View Profile
Special user
UK
887 Posts

Profile of Paul Brook
Quote:
On May 27, 2017, Jerskin wrote:

Yes, there will need to be a slight sleight alteration, but it certainly can be done.

I've been asked quite a few times if this has to be done with business cards, no this doesn't have to be confined to business cards at all.

Cheers,

Paul
PAUL BROOK

Paul Brook
View Profile
Special user
UK
887 Posts

Profile of Paul Brook
Quote:
On May 27, 2017, Argon wrote:
Hi Paul,
I am not sure I can help, but it is not you!

It is the way this market has evolved. Most of us have more effects than we can use or even read. Every day new eye popping effects appear.
I have not even finished your penguin lecture yet but here I am planning to buy choose me.

The low price is also not making things easier, as you usually get what you pay for. Now I am sure in your case it is way underpriced as I have never seen one of your works that has disappointed me. But there are a lot of people that just take a old principle and fabricate a new routine and sell it as a revelation. I have seen it and I have bought it. Even high priced products sometimes disappoint. So we buyers are often disrespectful of you creators. But I think it is not bad will, just the case of being burnt once to often.
Especially with products without uncut video feeds there is general distrust.

Only many positive reviews help here.

Sadly you as a great and respected creator suffer from this effect.

Do not be frustrated and keep up the great work. I will post my review after I have found the time to buy it.

Cheers
Stefan

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the very kind words Smile

I don't mind too much that there are new products being released as it can help us to move our creativity in new directions.

What I find 'not cricket' is the constant barrage of obvious fishing, mainly in private messages. I don't mind genuine questions from people who just want to make sure the effect will suit them/their performance arena. What I do mind is the questions from people who don't care about ever performing the effect or ever considering buying it, but are asking to simply appease their curiosity.

To some people magic is a puzzle. I LOVE to solve puzzles so I completely understand.

However, I wouldn't go into a shop, play with a puzzle and think, "Hmm...this is great, I'm stumped" and then proceed to pump the shop owner [we will assume the straw-man shop owner knows the secret] for the answer. It's not admitting defeat to buy the puzzle and find out it's secrets for yourself. If you see my advert as a puzzle and it has tested you, surely the price of the solution is worth the mental exercise routine I have aided you with, even if you never read it?

Even if you do read it and have a 'Slap My Head' moment, I go in detail about how I created and worked this effect to the point it is today. Which again, as a puzzle solver will give you a new perspective on solving future puzzles that you may encounter.

It is WIN-WIN!

What I love most is that I've been playing around with the people PM'ing me who are OBVIOUSLY fishing and answering their questions with blatant lies:

"No the cards are not gimmicked, but you will need to buy a device from a local electronics store."

"Yes, there is something verbal about this, it is not ambiguous, but a phrase that when said always makes the person choose the correct card."

"An almost invisible layer of a 'certain spray' is added to the 'Choose Me' card that, while it is not consciously detectable, is noticed by the participant's subconscious mind."

"It requires the use of a 'pull' but you can be virtually naked, I really can't say much more without exposure."

Now, if you have just read one of those answers and I have said that to you in a PM you have been fishing me and sadly, you no longer have the answer you thought you did. Equally, I did some not so obvious answers too. So if you are unsure if I have lampooned you are not, there are a certain way to find out...JUST BUY THE PDF! *

Cheers,

Paul

*Also, one of those four examples, may have contained the actual solution (in true mentalism style)...buyers, "Shss"...Fishers, there's only one way to find out!
PAUL BROOK

Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
You mean I sent you all those PM's and all those things you told me were not true!!!!! Right now I have to come up with an effect using this bit of electronics, can of spray, business card pull and this unambiguous bit of script. I'm going to come up with something that will go viral and I am going to film the trailer almost naked and you will rue the day that you hurt me with your lies!!!!!!

Smile

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2017, Paul Brook wrote:
Quote:
On May 27, 2017, Jerskin wrote:

Yes, there will need to be a slight sleight alteration, but it certainly can be done.

I've been asked quite a few times if this has to be done with business cards, no this doesn't have to be confined to business cards at all.

Cheers,

Paul

Will it work with saltine crackers? Say I'm in a restaurant and the only thing available are packaged saltine crackers. Will I be able to impromptuly open a few and perform Choose Me?

My thought is, for the kicker ending, I can invisibly crush the crackers and use the crumbs as woofel dust. Or, is that to magicy?

Thanks for your answer.

J
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Choose Me - Paul Brook (50 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL