The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » North Carolina, Checking In! (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MySurvive
View Profile
New user
Raleigh, NC
29 Posts

Profile of MySurvive
Hey everyone,

My name is Ricky, but I go by the handle MySurvive on nearly every platform on the web so I figured I'd follow suit here!

I am disgustingly new to magic and cards in general, but I really want to learn. I currently work as a Desktop Support Technician/Client Support Services/[enter title of the week here] at a prestigious University in North Carolina. I've been interested in magic for as long as I can remember, but I've never really had the drive to learn until recently. I don't really have a ton of money to play with right now, but I managed to get a pack of Bicycle cards, Magic and Showmanship by Henning Nelms, and Master Routine Systems by Si Stebbins (if there is anyone in the area that would let me borrow Royal Road & The Expert at the Card Table, you'd be a saint!). I've been practicing my overhand shuffle and some simple card controlling as well as palming cards and double lifting. I'm really intrigued by sleight of hand tricks!

I've been lurking the forums for about a week or so and you all seem like a pleasant bunch. I hope to see all of you around the Café!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome MySurvive,

Cards are a great introduction into Magic. They are easy to carry and the variations in what you can do will last a lifetime.

Check out the "New to Magic" forum and get involved. Start by just reading the Workers" forum. They are real technicians and not particularly welcoming to newbies but eventually you will get enough knowledge to take part (especially if you take their advice).

Best of fun, Ricky. We were all new once.

-Mary Mowder
Dr. O
View Profile
Veteran user
NC
395 Posts

Profile of Dr. O
Welcome! There is an active IBM Ring (199) in Raleigh with some talented card 'workers'. Give out a shout on the IBM board for details or check out Raleigh Magic Club on the web.
Best of luck in your new journey.
MySurvive
View Profile
New user
Raleigh, NC
29 Posts

Profile of MySurvive
Hey guys, thanks for the awesome welcome messages!

I've been practicing from RRCM and have been having a lot of fun. My brother in law used to be really into magic so we've been sitting around chatting each other up about it when we see each other. I've impressed some family members with some simple tricks (which feels really good) too!

I actually went to the local magic shop (which is sadly closing its doors soon...) and the owner told me about the IBM meetings! I plan on going next weekend and taking my brother in law with me if he's free.

You all have been very kind, thank you so much for chatting with me!
ParkinT
View Profile
New user
Orlando, FL USA
82 Posts

Profile of ParkinT
> Cards are a great introduction into Magic. They are easy to carry and the variations in what you can do will last a lifetime.

This is so well stated and quite profound!
JonathanW
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of JonathanW
Quote:
On May 21, 2017, MySurvive wrote:
Hey everyone,

My name is Ricky, but I go by the handle MySurvive on nearly every platform on the web so I figured I'd follow suit here!

I am disgustingly new to magic and cards in general, but I really want to learn. I currently work as a Desktop Support Technician/Client Support Services/[enter title of the week here] at a prestigious University in North Carolina. I've been interested in magic for as long as I can remember, but I've never really had the drive to learn until recently. I don't really have a ton of money to play with right now, but I managed to get a pack of Bicycle cards, Magic and Showmanship by Henning Nelms, and Master Routine Systems by Si Stebbins (if there is anyone in the area that would let me borrow Royal Road & The Expert at the Card Table, you'd be a saint!). I've been practicing my overhand shuffle and some simple card controlling as well as palming cards and double lifting. I'm really intrigued by sleight of hand tricks!

I've been lurking the forums for about a week or so and you all seem like a pleasant bunch. I hope to see all of you around the Café!

Royal road and expert at the card table are not good books for beginners. Card college is a lot better. Also I may get some hate for saying this, but http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4191 <- This will help you out with cards a ton! I know a few other working magicians now that this is what helped them the most when starting card magic. Same with me, this helped so much.
Some_Magical_Idiot
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Some_Magical_Idiot
Shout out to UNC! Welcome!
Dave the Knave
View Profile
Regular user
Cochise County, Arizona
163 Posts

Profile of Dave the Knave
Hi Ricky--

RRTCM is a good one (the Dover edition is cheap). I'd forego Erdnase. Card College is excellent, but those volumes could run you into some expenditure issues. The Magic Book by Harry Lorayne has a lot of info on cards, a fair amount on coins, some mentalism, and other stuff. Amazon has RRTCM and the Lorayne book for not much money.

Have fun!

Dave
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » North Carolina, Checking In! (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL