The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » EVANESCE by Mike Liu (27 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
SimonTheSorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of SimonTheSorcerer
I have quiet a slim wrist. Could someone post the smallest possible measuere?
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Curious... was it necessary that it have the 2 ugly belt buckles? I'm wondering if maybe the style could be improved in a future version, or maybe modified??
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
For those who are interested in this kind of device, you may appreciate Coin Waltz by Alex Pandrea, as you can wear the leather cuff you want or that suits your style.

Many people hear only talk about vanishes. I think you're all making a big mistake here. It's obvious that such a device becomes very suspicious when you use it for total vanish, because people are looking everywhere for the coin. Long Sleeves ? Must be inside. Watch ? Must be under the watch. And so on. This is why I always use Raven or TKO for total vanishes with short sleeves. I've tried so many different tools and utilities and I didn't find anything good enough for me, except for Raven and TKO.

That gimmick should be used the same way as the Event Horizon gimmick by Hand Crafted Miracles. That is, not for vanishes or appearances, but for switching or transposition effects. Indeed, if people think you have only one coin, while you're having two coins (if you do a spellbound routine), you can ditch one with Evanesce at the end of your routine. Or if you perform the Charming Chinese Challenge, produce and ditch the extra coin when it's needed using that device. For people who need a clean ditching of a gimmicked coin, this device can be useful.

Personally, it's not for me, but if you only see vanish and appearance among all the possibilities, you're not appreciating the full potential of this type of gimmick.

Think about sleeving. I don't use sleeving, because I learnt that even when I'm not using sleeving, people still suspect sleeves when I change an object into another. Most of the time (almost always, in fact), I perform with rolled up sleeves. But even when my sleeves are rolled up, sometimes (though rarely) they look under my arm. If I were to use sleeving, that would be mainly for switching and ditching. Since the object at the beginning and the end is perceived as being the same, there is no way they can suspect the sleeves. Same thing with this type of gimmick.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Surely if you wanted a wrist holdout ( I don't just to be clear ) wouldn't it be less suspicious although still suspicious imo to just wear an ordinary sweat wristband with a powerful magnet inside it ? Seems simple to make and at least more ordinary looking . You would probably get away with it in a hill billy town of West Virginia but a corporate event in London not a chance Tarik 😊
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Quote:
On May 24, 2017, SimonTheSorcerer wrote:
I have quiet a slim wrist. Could someone post the smallest possible measuere?

Holes are all the way around it and it wraps over itself so any size wrist will be fine from what I can see.
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Quote:
On May 24, 2017, Joshua Barrett wrote:
Curious... was it necessary that it have the 2 ugly belt buckles? I'm wondering if maybe the style could be improved in a future version, or maybe modified??

It's all about taste. To me the Silver buckles are perfect. It gets compliments form people. They look right at it and have no idea. I have silver bracelets on the other wrist so for me it is a natural match!
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Quote:
On May 24, 2017, mh1001 wrote:

Many people hear only talk about vanishes. I think you're all making a big mistake here. It's obvious that such a device becomes very suspicious when you use it for total vanish, because people are looking everywhere for the coin.
Personally, it's not for me, but if you only see vanish and appearance among all the possibilities, you're not appreciating the full potential of this type of gimmick.

I agree that transpositions are the bomb with this gimmick. They teach a couple on the download. But if people are looking at your sleeves or grabbing under your arm something is wrong. Maybe they are too drunk - or possibly there are presentation issues that are drawing attention. Clearly you are a knowledgeable magician based on your product and commentary. I just find that in decades of performing I almost never have attention to my sleeves, clothing or props. Time misdirection is king. This device is a utility and as you note it is best employed as a holdout for a gaff coin or ring, or billet, or card corder . . . and it could therefore never be suspect. BUT I think this may be the HOLY GRAIL of invisible switching devices and merits attention. Hand out a half and let the spectator examine it to their heart's content. Take back the half and proceed to put a cigarette through it. Hand the half back again. WAYYYY easier and more deceptive with this and only this gimmick.

Food for thought: If the community buys this we will get options of different materials and metals. Sometimes we need to support to get. This is winner if it fits your style.
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
Quote:
On May 24, 2017, StarManager wrote:
I agree that transpositions are the bomb with this gimmick. They teach a couple on the download. But if people are looking at your sleeves or grabbing under your arm something is wrong. Maybe they are too drunk - or possibly there are presentation issues that are drawing attention. Clearly you are a knowledgeable magician based on your product and commentary. I just find that in decades of performing I almost never have attention to my sleeves, clothing or props. Time misdirection is king. This device is a utility and as you note it is best employed as a holdout for a gaff coin or ring, or billet, or card corder . . . and it could therefore never be suspect. BUT I think this may be the HOLY GRAIL of invisible switching devices and merits attention. Hand out a half and let the spectator examine it to their heart's content. Take back the half and proceed to put a cigarette through it. Hand the half back again. WAYYYY easier and more deceptive with this and only this gimmick.

Trust me, they weren't drunk or something. The most silly thing that happened to me is when I did Extreme Burn. "Where did the white papers go ? Maybe... the sleeves ?" That's what I heard. That was silly also because the sleeves were extremely tight around my wrist. Sleeving is one of the easiest solution that comes to mind to any normal layman, so I'm not surprised at all. When I was a child, and didn't know anything about magic, my parents told me this when we were watching magicians on TV : "Did you notice magicians always wear long sleeves ? I don't think it's a coincidence". Another example. I remember when I was watching Copperfield levitation, my father said "must be wires or something" and he said that even when David passed through the rings or he was inside a big box of plexiglass. That didn't stop my father to think "must be wires". I doubt someone here would dare to say "there is presentation issues with Copperfield's performance". Recently, in France (because that's where I live) the winner of France's got Talent was a young magician Antonio who did a couple of levitation effects, very well performed. My sister said "I heard people say it's thread but I don't think it's the method he used" and my mother replied "no, it must be thread, I'm sure it's thread". We must face it and accept this fact. There are things that people "know" such as sleeves, thread, etc. among others...

Anyway, back to sleeving. I'm obviously not saying that (good) sleeving would never work for making vanishes and appearances. But it's far from being a surefire effect. On the contrary, a surefire effect, as you would agree, would be to use sleeves to do, e.g., coin through table, or ditching a gaff or an extra coin/object. Everyone knows about sleeving, as it's been exposed to death.For this reason, if you do a good switch and ditching, no one should suspect your gimmick here. That's why I'm saying Evanesce should better be used for switching and ditching, not vanishes.
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Mh1001 I read with respect your post and substantially agree. My own experience with this new Topit is that it can be used convincingly to appear and vanish though I appreciate and agree with you that the ditch and exchange are optimal. (Now I'm gonna go strip some thread . . . )!
andrew124C41
View Profile
New user
Somewhere near Washington, DC
77 Posts

Profile of andrew124C41
Rather heavy handed, or should I say wrist, I might say. You have to be kidding. Its not a watch, bracelet, Batman Radio Communicator. So, what is it? It must be the gimmick, Raven of sorts perhaps.
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Quote:
On May 26, 2017, andrew124C41 wrote:
Rather heavy handed, or should I say wrist, I might say. You have to be kidding. Its not a watch, bracelet, Batman Radio Communicator. So, what is it? It must be the gimmick, Raven of sorts perhaps.

Welcome here Andrew, and congratulations on your second post on the Café! This is a fantastic utility product. If ou have watched the video on Murphy's you can see the value to working magicians IF the item fits your personal style. For me it does. I am using it and it has never been asked about, grabbed or suspected.
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
I really like the idea and concept, but. The wrist band is way too thick and bulky, perhaps V2 will be slimmer.
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
OK - I'm gonna keep fighting for this gem. When worn it looks and feels like it fits and does not call attention to itself on me. I AGREE that it looks big in the demos but the creator is a thin and small gentlemen. If you have a Daniel Madison Look, or a Biker or a Rocker or a Jeans look - this should work if you are over 5'5 and bigger than say 150 pounds. At 6'1 and 220 this thing is just another band. I also wear three silver bracelets on my other arm and 4 rings so it all works for me. A thin 12 year old in a suit is not gonna pull this off . . .
kelleyro
View Profile
New user
Nashville, Tennessee
12 Posts

Profile of kelleyro
To be very honest ... when I first watched the video for this product, the only reason I thought the "gimmick" was the "gimmick" was because in every clip they are all wearing the same bracelet....in today's day and age I see people (both male and female) wearing items that look exactly like this ... I'm in Nashville and I see this type of bracelet all the time and think nothing about it ....I really don't think my audience would think anything about it either....given the proper patter and just a bit of good timing, I think this would work nicely .....(just my opinion)(yes, I'm buying one)
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Kelleyro good for you! My use of this to just ditch gimmicks for regular coins has made me a believer. You'll love it. Come back and post here to share your experience with others. For some reason this great tool is getting dissed by only people who have never used it. It's awesome.
rkp
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of rkp
StarManager, how difficult is this to use? Really like the vanish of a large coin. Is this easy with the device? Also, you said it requires alteration to accommodate large coins. Is this straight forward (concerned about cutting up a $60 gimmick!). Thanks for any help!
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Quote:
On May 27, 2017, rkp wrote:
StarManager, how difficult is this to use? Really like the vanish of a large coin. Is this easy with the device? Also, you said it requires alteration to accommodate large coins. Is this straight forward (concerned about cutting up a $60 gimmick!). Thanks for any help!

All good questions! Re modification it is really easy. You never cut the leather - just the stuff inside. Instructions for mods are easy and good on the download. As for the how easy is it - that's a big question. In 10 minutes you'll be doing two of the vanishes. It's really strong and easy. BUT - things like the coin bending and switches are going to take 3 or 4 hours of serious practice. Once you got it though - you got it. I find the hardest part, sill, is testing myself on the ditch and not LOOKING to make sure I am "sleeving" in the right position. You just do it 20 times with your eyes closed after you have the basic move and then you trust yourself and it always works. Again - to be bare sleeved and yet have a "sleeve" to work with is beyond awes as a contribution to close up.
rkp
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of rkp
Thank you for all the advice on this effect StarManager. You've sold me on it. Penguin has them in stock.
JonathanW
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of JonathanW
Yeah same, thanks StarManager. I'm going to try and get one when I have the extra cash. Smile
350zTT
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of 350zTT
I got mine in today....what can I say....I love it! To be honest, at first when I saw the simplicity of it, I thought meh! Once you start messing around with it then you see how strong this thing is. For me, because I have smaller wrists, I will definitely be tweaking mine. I wore mine out tonight and no one was none the wiser but this fits my style to a T. I wear lots of bracelets and big watches so it is not out of place at all, however, obviously this isn't going to fit everyone's style or taste. But if it does, you will have a killer utility at your disposal. I for one will be wearing it all the time even when not performing (only a hobbyist), just because I like the look of it!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » EVANESCE by Mike Liu (27 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL