The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Which performance is 'better'? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
But it is a trick?!?

That's not what she was thinking, I guess, but it's what I was thinking watching it - apart from being very bored. Surely she also was wondering how it was done? Surely that thought was pretty high up in her mind.

And I'm not the only one who thinks like me - as much as I like to think I'm unique, I'm not. I can test if you want and show that clip to loads of people tomorrow. I reckon most will give up before anything happens, and those who stick it out will want to know how it's done. They won't have much of a reaction, in my experience.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Your problem is you think your viewpoint is universal or even a majority.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

No, I think that many people are interested in how magicians fool them by having lots of conversations with people. And in reading magic literature, and scouring the net. As well as introspection combined with knowing I'm not likely to be unique. Sorry, you're wrong on this. Maybe you don't get this side of the public because you're a working magician - you don't get the non-magi perspective, perhaps.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Or maybe I understand it far better than you think. Because I deal with literally thousands of people in life as opposed to reading and scouring the internet.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

I do too Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Not when it comes to performance.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

But that's just my point, lol Smile

I speak as a non-magi to thousands of non-magi about magicians on TV or that they've seen etc.

When you talk to people do they know you're a magician?
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Anyway, I'm still waiting for you to rank my links, or provide what you think is an example of a good performance of magic trick do I can see what you think good magic is.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You talk to thousands of people about magic? In what capacity?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

As an aquintance. Because of my work I get to speak to hundreds of people every year about all kinds of things.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So you speak to each of those hundred about the performance of magic?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Not every one, no Smile. But a fair few. I haven kept count, but it must be hundreds I've spoken to about magic. Maybe over a thousand. Dunno. Not to mention friends, family etc.

The common theme is always, 'how did he do it?'
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Driven by you probably.

See you try to equate that somehow with my experience.

Our company has produced over 1,500 shows a year for the past 10 years. Shows of all kinds. My job is to know what people are thinking and what they appreciate and why so we can provide that. Surveys, interviews, research and all sorts of things go into this.

So when I say thousands it is not just those at my shows but so much more. Not just the few I work with and happen to talk with and remember what I want. No sorry not even close.

Step back and think of that for just a second. Is it POSSIBLE that I might have more of an inside track as to what the public in general is thinking? Just answer that for me please.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Yes, I totally admit you've got far more inside knowledge than me. Masses more.

How many of them did you speak to personally as a non-magician?

Also, I'm still waiting for an examp,e of what you consider to be good magic.

Also, would you do a show where none of the tricks fooled anyone?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
As a show producer? Thousands. Personally in the Dominican Republic this year alone in 5 months thousands, along with surveys and working with the staff to provide best possible product.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Show producer is still someone in the biz. I mean as a layperson unconnected with the biz, as an acquaintance who knows them and who they'll talk openly to?
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Actually, I'm interested in the kind of surveys you use to find out about whether people are interested in how tricks are done or not.

Do you have an example of one? I'd like to try it out at work, lol Smile. It might very well be just the thing to actually change my mind. Seriously, you clearly have stack loads more experience than me here (don't I look stupid), and I'm interested in finding out more what people think about magic.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
They thought I was another guest. Now what? Got another excuse?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Nope, that's good Smile. You win this one, lol Smile

Can you provide me with the survey questions related to wanting to know how magic is done, I'm keen to start getting some findings of my own.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

You know what, I'm pretty invested in this.

Even if you can't help me out with the survey (also your results would be good!), Danny, I'm going to do my own survey on this.

It'll take me some time, of course, to get anywhere near your numbers, but I'll make you a deal: If the results show that I'm totally wrong on this issue, and that you're right, I'll not only admit it here, I'll either totally re-think my entire approach to magic or, more likely, give up the whole hobby as something I'm not suited for. Fair?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Which performance is 'better'? (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL