The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Hypnotism where to start (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
8603 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Very sound advice, as stated over and over in these posts. I do not think I would ever encourage anyone to stat with street hypnosis though for a variety of reasons. RIP is something that many under 35 seem to refer because, well that's what was referred to them as well when they were lost and first starting out. It seems like a default resource to many.

I wouldn't want to be trained in street hypnosis, I would rather have a more all-encompassing well-rounded education, then if I wanted to perform street, adapt accordingly. RIP is a specialized product for a specialized market. That is not how I would approach something such as significant as hypnosis. Yet it is no substitute for full commitment and training.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
1574 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Well, I think of it this way - Arguably one of the best resources for the card magician is Roberto Giobbi's Card College. Pretty much universally reviewed as being excellent and encyclopedic. But it's also expensive. That's why when people ask me for recommendations for a starter in card magic, I say Royal Road to Card Magic. It's $10 or so on Amazon and that's a reasonable price to pay if the person doesn't end up being interested in card magic after all.

Likewise, to just dip a toe into the idea of hypnosis, I'd much rather someone learn from Reality is Plastic (an investment that won't break the bank) than YouTube. Someone is much more likely to spend the what, $30? for RiP than they are the thousands it will cost for personal training. And if RiP wasn't there to provide something of a structure of learning, and at least some of the theory behind it all, they wouldn't say, "Oh well, guess I won't do this" - they will go to YouTube and watch those free videos that give the most basic of scripts possible, and they'll go try it.

I know this, because there's plenty of other YouTube videos where the person said, "I saw this on YouTube and decided to try it".

So, it's not a comprehensive course on Hypnosis at all, but it is at least a structured beginner's course that's far better than free resources and far more affordable than in person training. That way if someone is interested they will see the value of personal training and save up to do so.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
18775 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Better than free probably. I'm not sure it is a great foundation. May be, I'm not sure.

Didn't Ronning rewrite the Encyclopedia of Stage Hypnosis? That is probably where I'd start.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
8603 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2017, WitchDocChris wrote:
Likewise, to just dip a toe into the idea of hypnosis, I'd much rather someone learn from Reality is Plastic (an investment that won't break the bank) than YouTube. Someone is much more likely to spend the what, $30? for RiP than they are the thousands it will cost for personal training. And if RiP wasn't there to provide something of a structure of learning, and at least some of the theory behind it all, they wouldn't say, "Oh well, guess I won't do this" - they will go to YouTube and watch those free videos that give the most basic of scripts possible, and they'll go try it.

I know this, because there's plenty of other YouTube videos where the person said, "I saw this on YouTube and decided to try it".

So, it's not a comprehensive course on Hypnosis at all, but it is at least a structured beginner's course that's far better than free resources and far more affordable than in person training. That way if someone is interested they will see the value of personal training and save up to do so.


The problem I have with this is these guys then all of a sudden believe they are hypnotists after just getting RIP.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
1574 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
Better than free probably. I'm not sure it is a great foundation. May be, I'm not sure.


I respect your opinion. It has served me well, though.

Quote:
Didn't Ronning rewrite the Encyclopedia of Stage Hypnosis? That is probably where I'd start.


Don't know, but I'll look into it for my own purposes.

Quote:
On Jun 5, 2017, Mindpro wrote:
The problem I have with this is these guys then all of a sudden believe they are hypnotists after just getting RIP.


Would you rather they believe they are hypnotists after watching a 5 minute YouTube video? It's really not difficult to elicit the basic hypnotic phenomena, so one could learn the simplest stuff from YT and get someone in a trance pretty quickly. I have met people calling themselves a hypnotist after watching a video and getting one person into a trance. I would much rather they at least have the amount of information that's in RiP before assuming they can take the title.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
18775 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2017, Mindpro wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2017, WitchDocChris wrote:
Likewise, to just dip a toe into the idea of hypnosis, I'd much rather someone learn from Reality is Plastic (an investment that won't break the bank) than YouTube. Someone is much more likely to spend the what, $30? for RiP than they are the thousands it will cost for personal training. And if RiP wasn't there to provide something of a structure of learning, and at least some of the theory behind it all, they wouldn't say, "Oh well, guess I won't do this" - they will go to YouTube and watch those free videos that give the most basic of scripts possible, and they'll go try it.

I know this, because there's plenty of other YouTube videos where the person said, "I saw this on YouTube and decided to try it".

So, it's not a comprehensive course on Hypnosis at all, but it is at least a structured beginner's course that's far better than free resources and far more affordable than in person training. That way if someone is interested they will see the value of personal training and save up to do so.


The problem I have with this is these guys then all of a sudden believe they are hypnotists after just getting RIP.


You mean they're not?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
18775 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Silliness aside Chris is right. The same thing happens with magic and naturally for whatever reason it translates to hypnosis when magicians try to convert to hypnotists.

Learn 2 tricks, get a business card and BAMO you ae a magician. That is a separate rant though. Guys want to learn quickly. The fact that inducing trance is the EASY part does not help. Learning to do an entertaining show, doing it thousands of times and being more you than the process is however quite difficult.

But that doesn't matter. Most don't want to put in the heavy lifting necessary to actually become a hypnotist. OK no problem.

The fact though is that other than making themselves look silly it can do no real harm. Only harm is to themselves and their reputation and if it doesn't bug them then why should I care? Go to You Tube, go learn wherever you want. Fact is that MOST of the training won't help you actually learn to do a show anyhow.

I mean think of how many people take those trainings every year. How many of them actually end up doing hypnosis shows on a regular basis much less being full time hypnotists. The number HAS to be less than 1%! Then try to figure out how many actually do it for any length of time. The numbers go down from 1%.

So where anyone learns does not bother me. I mean yea it is better to get as much good information as possible. But fact is not many really need it do they? Most are just curious about it enough to find out more about it. Good for them no harm no foul. It is not bad for hypnosis on the stage or any specific hypnotist. It is CRAZY to watch and yes I just can't bring myself to do so. It is what it is though. And as I said no harm no foul.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
1574 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Quote:
Learning to do an entertaining show, doing it thousands of times and being more you than the process is however quite difficult.


Particularly considering those people often ignore the advice of more seasoned performers.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
impulse
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of impulse
Well I found out Larry Elman son of Dave Elman has a course near me about a hour away I will study till I can afford his 9 day course.

Has anyone here taken his course?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
18775 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2017, WitchDocChris wrote:
Quote:
Learning to do an entertaining show, doing it thousands of times and being more you than the process is however quite difficult.


Particularly considering those people often ignore the advice of more seasoned performers.


True and even more so in the case that they seem to ignore it is a performance.

Look at your own personal quest to find a sort of "non comedy oriented" hypnosis show. This in no way involves you watching and mimicking other performers to find out how to do exactly what they do word for word. It involves you finding your own path to performance. Finding what suits you and is your interpretation of the art. Not easy, but rewarding.

The FACT is hypnosis is just a small part of a hypnosis show. (In reality it is the most boring part in my view.) BUT SO MANY get so involved in the "process" that they forget it is not about the process at all.

OK sorry rant off.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
18775 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I meant once I saw it was palm reading I didn't watch. Otherwise how would I have known?

Why bother watching when I know the result? It is simply the truth. I saw it happen live no bs. Technically not a compliment as much as simply a description of what I saw. I HATE those sorts of readings and most just do them so poorly. In reality you do them quite well. Certainly one of tee best I have seen.

And by the way what I am speaking of was not a set up event at all. Spur of the moment, which in my mind makes it more remarkable.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
impulse
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of impulse
For a stage hypnotist especially with a comedy based show one of the best place to start would be an open mic night at a comedy club right ? or just anywhere that has open mic nights like a bar.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
18775 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Not at all. The format won't allow for it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
impulse
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of impulse
Why not ? Just asking If someone has been doing hypnosis why would that not work.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
18775 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2017, impulse wrote:
Why not ? Just asking If someone has been doing hypnosis why would that not work.


Open Mic. nights are 5 or 10 minute segments.

Plus much of the success of the show comes from expectation in the first place, which you won't have in the circumstance you describe.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
kevinuncanny
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of kevinuncanny
Open mics are great to practice everything but the induction and the routines. Writing and delivering your humor is what open mics are for. I love open mics for trying out the humor in a routine.

I will say it again, go take a course with someone who is doing it regularly and learn to do it right.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
18775 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Along those lines, don't you have a training coming up?

For those who do not know Kevin does a show regularly in Las Vegas downtown at Binions. If you want to learn from a guy "doing it" Kevin is one of them to be certain. He does offer training periodically.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
8603 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2017, impulse wrote:
For a stage hypnotist especially with a comedy based show one of the best place to start would be an open mic night at a comedy club right ? or just anywhere that has open mic nights like a bar.



No, No No! The absolute most important element to any performance is performance dynamics. If the performance dynamics are not right or proper, you have no chance of a successful performance. I know you are new to hypnosis but this is something as a performer you should already know.

I discussed this extensively in two of my books including A Beginner’s Guide To Getting Stage Time & Working Open Mic Nights. The performance dynamics are not suited for many types of performers, especially hypnosis (more than anything else).

I know I've said this before but when you get proper training, much of this (and almost every other question you've asked) should be covered. As a performer and eventually as a hypnotist, you quickly understand the performance is only one (sometimes the least) important element to be concerned with.

No, the format of an open mic night not only is not appropriate for hypnosis, but actually works strongly against it. In the eyes of the audience (and management) the hypnosis will not work and you will suck (sorry for being blunt but that is exactly how you will be perceived), when in reality it is the performance dynamics (which they would never realize). You're trying to put a square peg into a round hole just will not happen.

As you will learn, as a hypnosis performer the actual hypnosis is one of the least things you need to be concerned about once properly trained. Yet even many hypnosis training do not properly cover this aspect.

I disagree with some of the "advice" being offered here. Let's help him deal in the reality of hypnosis, how it is perceived, the optimal conditions and the many other factors he doesn't even realize that all play an important part in his confidence and ultimate success.
kevinuncanny
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of kevinuncanny
Thanks Danny!
I was going to do another training in August but my wife convinced me a white water trip was in order!

And to clarify what I meant about an open mic:
You won't have time to get volunteers up and induce them then do a routine and wake them up.
You will have time to practice your opening monologue, your segways and your personality
impulse
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of impulse
There was no reason to spend that money when I already have made better purchases reality is plastic, and the new Encyclopedia of stage hypnosis.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Hypnotism where to start (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL