The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Playing cards, envelopes, and paper weight (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

AlexanderG
View Profile
Veteran user
No more and no less than
366 Posts

Profile of AlexanderG
Hi.

I'd like to perform a mentalism effect that requires (1) that I can easily tell whether a small envelope contains two playing cards or is empty, but (2) that the spectator, mixing such envelopes, will not notice that some envelopes are empty and some contain two cards. I believe a #4 coin envelope will be the right size. My question is about the paper stock. I have a choice of 24lb., 70lb., and 80lb. paper - those are the different paper weights I've found for #4 coin envelopes. Would someone out there know which paper stock would best suit my needs? Many thanks.
toniyammine
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of toniyammine
I think you should get both and test which works better. Also, I don't know what is the desired effect, biut can you put white cards to make them feel the same?
Nat_lawson
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of Nat_lawson
Alexander,

I am consistently surprised at how little spectators notice if you don't give them a reason to look. I don't know that the routine is, and I stand with Toniyammine in that you should try both and see which is better. My advice though is to just go out an do it with normal envelopes and be surprised when nobody notices.

No idea if that will work with your routine, but it sounds like it will. Try it a couple of times and be surprised.

-Nat
Marc O
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
755 Posts

Profile of Marc O
Larger envelopes sometimes have a sort of cardboard back to prevent the inserted documents from being damaged.
Maybe you can make smaller onces yourself, that way the participant will always feel a certain thickness to the envelopes.
Max Hazy
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Max Hazy
If nothing works, you could still take index paper and build the envelopes yourself. The thickness will surely do the job. You can find envelope templates all over the internet.
"Your method is in my opinion the very best way to do Q&A"
Millard Longman

"Max has pushed some less known and seldom used principles a huge step forward"
Jan Forster

Arcane Grimoires Vol 1- http://www.maxhazy.com/arcane-grimoires/apocryphal-reach/

Arcane Grimoires Vol 2- http://www.maxhazy.com/Codex-Mentis/
AlexanderG
View Profile
Veteran user
No more and no less than
366 Posts

Profile of AlexanderG
Thanks, everyone.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Playing cards, envelopes, and paper weight (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL