The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Card tricks outdoors (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eldini
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
127 Posts

Profile of Eldini
Hello,

I'd appreciate the communities thoughts and advice about doing card tricks outside. Any moves to stay away from? "Wind Management" techniques?

In particular the wind has caught my DL as I was flipping it over, thus separating the cards. That got me wondering what the solution is.

Thank you!
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Card tricks outside are tough. I don't have much advice other than a shirt breast pocket is very handy Smile
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Go outside on a windy day and practice, practice, practice.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

See responses to my same problem here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=2
Eldini
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
127 Posts

Profile of Eldini
Thanks for the replies! Jim, your advice gives me hope that with enough practice anything is possible.
Mika_
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Mika_
Things like cardistry and flicks/spins with card may be hard to do but I've practiced magic outdoors plenty of times and its not too hard Smile
jljones83
View Profile
New user
LA, CA
90 Posts

Profile of jljones83
Well, if the wind caught your DL, do a DT instead. Also, when I do card stuff outside, anything I do is in the hands. Anything that would require a table for a spread or similar, I wouldn't do, but if you only needed a table for a surface to set the deck down or a single card, you can incorporate a spectator to help, depending on their energy. You can say something like 'Here, hold this, and put your other hand on top, to make sure I can't get to it', then they'll use both hands to hold it, and they won't shuffle or cut the deck.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

It's still pretty hard doing ITH cards in windy weather. I just do non-card stuff if the weather is bad - what else can you do?
JonathanW
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of JonathanW
If it's really windy just don't bother doing card magic. Try coins? Smile
Eldini
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
127 Posts

Profile of Eldini
@Terrible Wizard: what else can I do? Not much...yet! Maybe learn some rope tricks? I like coins too and am learning from a David Roth Penguin download.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Do you do magic socially? Like, with friends, colleagues and strangers in a non-show, non-paying manner? One or two tricks at a time?

If so, I suggest that you probably want to focus on those sorts of props that can be easily carried around in pockets and wallets, on key rings or borrowed. Cards, coins, finger rings, bands, paper, paddles, possibly spongeballs, string, hankies, thimbles, cigarettes, straws, watches, pens, napkins, keys, key fobs, body tricks and the such like. You'll get far more opportunities to perform that way Smile
DaKine Oregon
View Profile
New user
Medford, Oregon
50 Posts

Profile of DaKine Oregon
Orson Wells once did a Rising Card effect using a helium filled balloon. The card didn't just rise from the deck, it headed into the clouds!
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
There are thin metal decks of cards that are used on cruise ships to limit the flyaway problem. Perhaps an online search will locate sources.

Julie
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
I've answered this question before so I'll answer it again.

It just requires a serious assessment of your repertoire with the following questions in mind:

Can I substitute something in it?

Can I combine it with something else?

Can I adapt something to it?

Can I modify and magnify it?

Can it be put to some other use?

Can I eliminate something?

Can I reverse or rearrange it?

Instead of a classic force and having the wind blow the cards out of our hands well fanning could you substitute it for a riffle force which could offer more direct card control.

If the trick requires piles to be dealt could I combine bulldog clips (on the piles) to add weight and prevent them blowing away?

Just think about what you're currently doing in light of the questions I pose and you will find your own solutions.

Magically

Aus
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Try searching for magnetic playing cards and you'll be all set.

Julie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Card tricks outdoors (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL