The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » 100 tricks! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1920 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
This post in the Jerx got me thinking:
http://www.thejerx.com/blog/2017/5/30/10......he-reset

For social magi a 100 tricks is probably about right, IMHO, though it seems a lot and flies in the face of standard advice to master just six! Smile

But finding, and more importantly being able to perform well, a 100 tricks is, at least to me, a pretty tall order. Smile. Especially given the other constraints on tricks social magi have to work with: impromptu, examinable, short, in-the-hands, pocket props only, FSDIU, angle-less etc etc.

What tricks would form part of your 100 trick repertoire?
And do you have a 100 impromptu tricks you can actually perform well?
dgiancaspro
View Profile
Regular user
New York City
113 Posts

Profile of dgiancaspro
I recently started trying to get my magic organized. I started with Mindmeister to make a mind map of things I had, things I wanted and things to work on. I was pretty shocked to find out I had fully written scripts for 13 effects 10 of which are impromptu though not all in the hands which is a criteria I am working on. With a little thought I could probably scare up another 5 tricks that would have very little presentation. So the question is do we set up a list ... or a group with a goal of knowing 100 tricks by the end of the yaar?
"Mommy when I grow up I want to be a magician"
"Oh sweety you can't do both."
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1920 Posts

Cool! Smile

What's mindmeister?
dgiancaspro
View Profile
Regular user
New York City
113 Posts

Profile of dgiancaspro
MindMeister is a mind mapping web you can check it out here
https://www.mindmeister.com/application
You get 3 mind maps for free
"Mommy when I grow up I want to be a magician"
"Oh sweety you can't do both."
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1920 Posts

Interesting. Cheers for that Smile

Though I'm more of a paper and pen man myself.
MikeLiu
View Profile
Regular user
vancouver
109 Posts

Profile of MikeLiu
Smile
The Modern Magician - Mike Liu

www.mikeliumagic.com
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1272 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Depending on your definition, but a routine could be made up of 1 or more tricks. So a utility move like the french drop can be used in many effects. In the past I have done some brain storming around this idea. I looked at what props/ items I use and then drew up a list of what I could add to them. here are a few exapmles of what I mean.

-I had 4 coins and two playing cards for a matrix effect, by adding 2 more cards and making them the 4 Aces I could add Dr Dalyes last trick.
-Rope I used for a single rope routine based around the single rope fiber optics buy adding a ring I could do ring and rope and adding a silk add rope and silk tricks. Also I have a story about pirates that use the bachelor needle effect.

Just a little idea hope it helps.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » 100 tricks! (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL