The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Paris Agreement (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3..12~13~14 [Next]
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
1. Hands up if you have an opinion about the US's withdrawal from the agreement.

2. Hands up if you actually read the agreement, or understood the binding mechanisms, or any of its practical consequences.

3. Hands up if you understand the claim that the single largest emitter is being treated unfairly by being asked to be part of the clean-up.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Start at unfccc.int/paris_agreement

27 pages
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
No preconceived bias in that post LOL.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Tons Danny. I've done my reading.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Out of pure curiosity has any of that been on economic studies involved with compliance?

I mean certainly we agree that life does not happen in a vacuum right? There ARE economic implications to compliance are there not? Has any of your reading been about that?

I have not read the report for I am certainly not qualified to understand much of what is in it. May as well have a monkey read it. SO I am NOT questioning anything in it or if you have understood or read it. I am not saying it is right or wrong or anything of the sort. I'm asking an economics question.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Compliance with the proposed vague guidelines... carbon credit futures... liabilities meets externalities...

Fiscal fantasy
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Jun 2, 2017, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
1. Hands up if you have an opinion about the US's withdrawal from the agreement.

2. Hands up if you actually read the agreement, or understood the binding mechanisms, or any of its practical consequences.

3. Hands up if you understand the claim that the single largest emitter is being treated unfairly by being asked to be part of the clean-up.

Who made claim 3?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On Jun 2, 2017, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:

Who made claim 3?

The President of the United States.

Quote:
But the bottom line is that the Paris Accord is very unfair, at the highest level, to the United States.

Of course, one could argue that his point was not that clean-up in general is unfair, but that this particular agreement is. I'm not sure that that's a nit worth picking.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Who made claim 3?

The President of the United States.

Quote:
But the bottom line is that the Paris Accord is very unfair, at the highest level, to the United States.

Of course, one could argue that his point was not that clean-up in general is unfair, but that this particular agreement is. I'm not sure that that's a nit worth picking.

I thought that China was the single largest emitter.

Your "nit not worth picking" is the crux of a pretty gross mischaracterization of what was said. His comments - in particular the comment that you excerpted - was clearly about one particular agreement, and in the same speech, he indicated an openness to enter into a different agreement. You know perfectly well that he didn't say or suggest that it was unfair "to be asked to be part of the cleanup."

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
There is a difference between an accord and an agreement. There is a difference between reading and understanding.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Shootings in Paris, real.
Puppet show in Paris... not sure if the green armbands and carbon courts are ready to sign into law..yet.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Accord connotes free will, voluntary act, as opposed to an agreement, which connotes binding. An accord is merely a harmony of opinion, where one party might reconsider and withdraw; which is that which has happened in the case in question. IMHO, I mean, it is a legal matter and I am not a lawyer, but that is I think the essential difference. One might be sued perhaps for breaking an agreement or a treaty but not an accord, I think.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

But Tommy. Kyoto Protocol and emissions trading. Think of the billions.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:

I think I see the problem with the online sources. The time frame is relevant.

It appears that for recent years, China is the top annual emitter; and for longer time spans the US is the top cumulative emitter.

Both interesting and relevant statistics.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

What's today's price for a Kyoto quota unit?

New Zealand has been trading NZU for years.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Smile Think of the billions of what? People really have not yet grasped what they mean by transformation of the world economy. The world economy as we know it today runs on money. To actually transform the world’s economy, one must transform, change, the money, to something else, which will be energy credits. The bankers, as usual, will be in control of the new transformed economy.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Change the money = profit from exchange of currency? (denominated in dollars => carbon units)

The first Star Trek movie had a line about the Enterprise being infested with carbon units.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So John was any of that reading economic?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
Quote:

I think I see the problem with the online sources. The time frame is relevant.

It appears that for recent years, China is the top annual emitter; and for longer time spans the US is the top cumulative emitter.

Both interesting and relevant statistics.

Gotcha...thanks!

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Paris Agreement (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..12~13~14 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL