The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Rabbit digging/scratching while waiting in production box...how do you deal? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
568 Posts

Profile of Rook
Hi, All!

I've worked with rabbits for the last few years and I have one that is an absolute treat! He is currently certified through Pet Partners as a therapy animal is very gentle, and loves human companionship.

However....

Lately, there's been a development. A few months ago, he began digging, scratching, chewing around in the load compartment of his production box. It's getting hard to convince the audience that the box is empty when the presumably empty box makes noises and moves around on it's own accord. I understand that digging is a natural reaction for rabbits for as many reasons as there are rabbits (e.g., creating a comfortable spot, thinking that a tunnel will look great in one particular location, or just getting bored or frustrated).

I was curious as to whether any of you had dealt with this issue and what has been successful for you?

Many thanks!

-Rook
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1454 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
My guess is the rabbit is trying to dull his teeth. I'll bet that you feed the bunny mostly pellets and pellets are soft food. Try having the bunny eat mostly hay, The hay is hard and rough and it will help dull his front teeth a bit. Also put a chunk of 2x4 wood in his cage and the bunny will chew on the corners.
If his teeth are still long,you can use a small sharp tin snip to cut both top and bottom front teeth.
Tricky Ricky
Rook
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of Rook
Thanks, Ricky!

Yes, his diet consists of both free-feed pellet and hay. He like to chew on (and toss around) pine cones, but I did recently put in a block of wood for chewing. It isn't the chewing so much in the load container, but the scratching and digging. I read that it's a normal behavior, though perhaps I should take a look at his nails...you remind me that he might be trying to wear them down as well.

-Roald Dahl
drmolarmagic
View Profile
New user
Brooklyn NY
17 Posts

Profile of drmolarmagic
Rook,
I think like all performers he just wants more stage time! Maybe top billing with you......
I've always saved that one special type of treat JUST for when the rabbit is in the box, she looks forward to it and is busy until the grand production
magicusb
View Profile
Inner circle
1111 Posts

Profile of magicusb
Dear drmolarmagic
What is that one special treat?
Thanks
Dorothy Dietrich
Check out http://HoudiniOpoly.com or...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1726279887/houdini-opoly-fun-exciting-legend-and-magic-hero-b/

Houdini Museum Tour & Magic Show.
Only building in the world dedicated to Houdini.
http://Houdini.org
http://HoudiniDisplays.com
http://PsychicTheater.com
Scranton, Pa (570) 342-5555
"The truth shall make you free, but first it will make you angry." -Robert Ingersoll-Atheist (on the mind of Houdini when he died.)

We are thrilled we were able to bring The Grim Game to the world! Thanks TCM.
Rook
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of Rook
Quote:
On Oct 19, 2017, drmolarmagic wrote:
Rook,
I think like all performers he just wants more stage time! Maybe top billing with you......
I've always saved that one special type of treat JUST for when the rabbit is in the box, she looks forward to it and is busy until the grand production

LOL, But he's already the star! People line up after the show to see him...I'm just the guy who holds him.

On a more serious note along the lines of your good advice, I've since begun a reinforcement process of providing him treats (he likes oats) while quietly hanging out in the box. It seems to be working.

-Roald Dahl
drmolarmagic
View Profile
New user
Brooklyn NY
17 Posts

Profile of drmolarmagic
Quote:
On Oct 19, 2017, magicusb wrote:
Dear drmolarmagic
What is that one special treat?
Thanks
Dorothy Dietrich

for my bunny its the yogurt drops I think they're made by Kaytee, at Petco, Petsmart or Petland
Bruce
Rook
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of Rook
I've been training Dust Bunny with an oat per behavior as a reinforcer, but something that might take him a bit more time to consume (thus keep him busy) would be valuable. I'll have to look into the yogurt drops!

-Roald Dahl
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
20189 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
An animal is likely to develop all kinds of conditions and illnesses just like humans. Who knows what the little guy has developed or gotten into. As you are an experienced rabbit owner, but not a Veterinarian, it would be a good time to take the little guy to a Vet. and know for sure. Rabbits can carry all kids of diseases and if you have the rabbit around children, you are setting yourself up for a lot legal action. If it continues, and you do not want to see a Vet., then get ride of the animal and get a new one. At the very least, get advice from a good Pet Store, or buy a book on care and feeding of rabbits. A magician forum is not the place to get animal care advice.
Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Rook
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of Rook
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2017, Bill Hegbli wrote:
it would be a good time to take the little guy to a Vet.

Indeed! He was recently in and has a clean bill of health!

Quote:
Rabbits can carry all kids of diseases and if you have the rabbit around children, you are setting yourself up for a lot legal action.

I can only agree. He's also a therapy rabbit who makes regular visits to senior centers, schools, the University and its psychology clinic, which emphasizes the need for regular health evaluations.

Quote:
buy a book on care and feeding of rabbits.

Can't help but have a bunch of those, also...my wife breeds rabbits for show and we have to keep on top of the herd's health.

Quote:
A magician forum is not the place to get animal care advice.

I agree on that point as well. I didn't mean to give the impression that I was asking for animal care advice, but rather if anyone else here had the same issue of this rabbit behavior in "load" and whether any of you found a fix for that (e.g., limiting time in the box to X minutes, creative use of sound equipment to mask the noise, or some helpful hint that I hadn't considered).

Given that my day job is at a University that puts me in contact with veterinarians quite frequently (we have the only vet program in the state), I generally go to them or my own vet for care questions.

-Roald Dahl
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Rabbit digging/scratching while waiting in production box...how do you deal? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL