The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Illusions Magic and Costume Shop closing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
630 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
After 29 years Buck Bressler is closing the magic shop. It's the last fully stocked magic, costume and make-up brick and mortar shop in Cleveland.
All magic, books, costumes and wigs are 50% OFF, and he is looking to sell the entire stock ASAP.
There is an opportunity for someone to get enough stock and displays to open a pop-up shop for Halloween.
Detail of the displays for sale is on facebook,
https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t......59E91687

Call Buck at 440-944-8100
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
quintamonious
View Profile
New user
Cleveland
4 Posts

Profile of quintamonious
Just went into buy some stuff today -- sad to see Buck is closing up shop.
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1214 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
25 years not 29 but that is ok. Opened in April of 1992 -- Closing June of 2017
It is sad to see the shop close down.
It was a meeting place and a fun place to drop in and session at.
It was born from a previous magic shop when that owner died. Murray's Magic and Costume.
Manny Sperling and Bucky Bressler opened the shop because of Murray. They wanted to ensure there was a classic shop in the Cleveland area and filled that need perfectly.
Manny and Bucky split their partnership and Bucky became the sole proprietor. He has done a great job with the shop. Bucky turned 80 this year and it is time to retire to spend time with family.
Sadly Manny passed away earlier this year.
Thank you Bucky for all the great times buddy. The shop will be very much missed.
meridianfan
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of meridianfan
I don't think that description is quite right. Illusions was opened separately from Murray's Magic. The person who bought Murray's was named Joseph, and he changed the name from Murray's to J Beans.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
4541 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
There was a small golden age in Cleveland when we had Illusions and Yendors World of Magic literally within minutes of each other. Both were fantastic magic shops...classic, old school ventures. Rodney Whitlock of Yendor fame, had a more prop-based shop, full of older vintage items, as well as the latest new effect. He then went on to partner with Paul Harris in helping him create some wonderful releases.

Buck was a more serious sleight-of-hand guy, mainly cards, and he adored books. I found myself frequenting his shop more than Yendors because of his well-stocked book and DVD selection. Dropped hundreds there over the years. And he was always willing to spend the time to talk, and share a move or two. No attitude. Just confidence. He knew his stage well, and held court when he needed or wanted to, and sold me many things that I know I didn't need, but suddenly had to have.

Another thing I loved, but I know it's not P.C., is that in the early years the shop smelled of cigarettes (he later quit, and had a fake cigarette dangling from his mouth...I loved that). That smell reminded me of every magic shop from my youth.

This is a sad loss for us, but a well-earned break for Buck. Thanks Buck. You did a great thing for our city, and for the magic fraternity. Enjoy your retirement.
Greg
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1214 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Yes Murray's family sold the shop to Joeseph. Illusions was opened because both Manny and Bucky were friends of Murray's and tried to buy his shop and the family would not sell it to them for a reasonable price. There is much more to it but it is not my story to tell.

Manny and Buck opened their shop down the street and it survived where and Joe's shop closed quite quickly (within a few years). J Bean's was a terrible "magic" shop as the man did not know what the spirit of magic was nor what he had in that location. It was quite sad to watch it be destroyed in that way.
To shed a little more light on the subject: Every Monday night Murray would have a gathering of local pros and amateur magicians who would session, talk shop and have a good time. After the shop closed we all would drop over the a place called Max Dougan's bar. We would session some nights until 12am. Much fun was had by all present. There were guys who showed up every week and Manny and Buck were a huge part of that. It was great fun. When Murray passed away several local magicians wanted to buy his shop. The family did not sell to any of the local guys. Manny and Buck talked it over and decided to open their own shop and continue the Monday sessions at their shop. That later turned into the Saturday sessions. The people have changed and times have changed but good times were had there just the same. The Saturday sessions will continue at another location to be determined. Hopefully Buck will join in when he can.
Yendor's was a whole different story but Rod was very good friends with Murray as well as a fixture there. Rod retired from his regualr day job and opened Yendor's shop and Buck was not happy about it. Manny would hang out at Rod's shop as this was after Buck and Manny had split ties. The split was tough on Manny and Buck and strained their friendship but they made up later.

My description is correct.
I have been involved with it since it started. I used to work at Murray's as well. I have been a friend to Illusions since it opened. It is sad that the classic Cleveland shops are closed but we do have RNT2 and other people and places with things in the works. Magic will live on here in town.
meridianfan
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of meridianfan
Thanks for clarifying- agree that this is a better description. I was in Cleveland around this time in the early 90s, and as Greg said it was a great time for magic shops.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
4541 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Thanks Mobius303. That is great background.

I loved both shops. No matter their differences, like record stores, video stores, book stores, toy stores, comic book stores, craft stores...the list goes on and on, the internet has eaten all of these specialty shops up. Just gone. Sure, shopping is more convenient, but there's no where to physically "go" anymore. No place to touch the stuff. No place to just walk around and dream.

Signed,
Nostalgic in Cleveland.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1214 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
I think it is great to have a brick and mortar store around for several reasons.
You can see and touch the magic in the form of demos.
You can see how big the items are.
You can see a book before you buy it and know from others in the sho what it contains and the difficulty of the material and again get a demo of it.
That is the biggest drawback from shopping on line. you cannot see the item really, you cannot feel the spirit of the magic inherent in it.
you cannot talk shop with the guys in the shop if there is no shop to hang out in.

We had some really great shops here in the Cleveland area.
We had Schneider's downtown where Neil Elias used to hang out.
We had Joe Leffler's shop Pandora's Box which is where I first met Bucky Bressler.
We had Murray's Magic and Costume where many people would just show up when they were in town.
We had Yendor's where you could hang out and bug Rod and the guys. I met john Carney there among others and John went to Illusions as well.
We had Illusion's which was the last of the classic shops for now. The wall of magician's was a delight to see. Many famous magicians would drop in when they were in town for visits, trade shows and lectures.
There are several costume shops which sell magic but they do not have that classic magic shop feel or vibe.

People do not realize what they have until it is gone most of the time. That is a sad end to a golden age indeed.
There have been many shops in town and hopefully brick and mortar shops are not truly dead here and are just taking a deep breath.
You are welcome for the clarification. That is still only part of the story. Rod always said he wanted to write a book about the history of magic here in town.
Many people do not know that several magic theater type places tried to open here. Wish that would still happen. Cleveland is a happening town right now and it would be fun to have a east coast magic castle type place or even a Fechter's type magic bar here. I think it would do well but then I have been told Magic in Cleveland is sorta funny ( I think they mean fickle).

May the magic live well here, I know there are things in the works right now and something will be happening here very soon. I hope it has as long a run as Bucky had....25yrs is a great legacy and a testament to the shop. Great memories and great fun always.
Mobius
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
630 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
Well it took a little work but we got the shop cleaned out in time.

However, there is still a large amount of unsold costumes, wigs, props, and some magic. So if you want to open a pop-up shop or need some good product to sell for a low cost contact Buck or PM me for more info.

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Illusions Magic and Costume Shop closing (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL