The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Tricks you carry--just in case (55 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Doc Willie
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Doc Willie
Are there tricks you carry around, maybe not all the time, but just in case a specific situation arises?

For instance, I carried Ellusionist'c Chaptrick last winter, and at the end of a meeting I saw a woman putting on chapstick. So I just stated,"Did you know that Chapstick is magical?"

Also I now carry a card with the pips all scrambled in case I see a kid with a fidget spinner. I show two card, with the scramble card DL's, then put the spinner on top of the deck, spin it, and reveal the scrambled card. Then I tell the parent this is what will happen to their childs brain from the spinner (with a wink).
Nala Nosmoht
View Profile
Special user
Surrey,B.C. Canada,
641 Posts

Profile of Nala Nosmoht
I always carry "the fastest quadruple knot in the world" ..... packs small.. visual, kind of silly but with a magical finish.
Cheers
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1646 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
I carry Toosh by Steve Haynes around with me all the time!

Sleepy
MitchC
View Profile
Elite user
Can't believe I only have
415 Posts

Profile of MitchC
I'm always carrying three things: Triad Coins & Printing (Joshua Jay) and B'Wave. Don't leave home without them.
willmagicman
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of willmagicman
I carry a few rubber bands, a box of matches, and a handkerchief. With these items I can perform penetrations and matter through matter effects, and knot tricks with the handkerchief like Slydini used to do. Great for impromptu tricks at the bar. Provided of course that I haven't drunk too much.

Will.
A Man's gotta know his limitations ... A Magician sets those limitations.
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
Just my pocket change and a bent quarter
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
I'm fencing in my land; so far there are
590 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
Quote:
On Aug 1, 2017, Dick Oslund wrote:
This is the SECOND time that the OP has started a thread with the SAME QUESTION!!!!!!! (cf. "TABLE HOPPERS" A FEW WEEKS AGO!)

In the first thread, he got a variety of responses regarding "tricks" carried. AMBITIOUS CARD,ROBERT BLAKE, AND I responded with approximately the same basic answer: TRICKS are PERFORMED, NOT CARRIED. PROPS CAN BE CARRIED! The BEST PROP FOR INFORMAL SITUATIONS IS SOMETHING GENERIC!

So he's learning. He hasn't got your knowledge or your experience.

But he has bought some tricks from a dealer, carries them to show around, and wondered aloud on here what other tricks people carry with them.

He no doubt read your response, but didn't realise that he was legally obliged to accept it and move on! He thought this was a forum where everyone from beginners to retired pro's could share ideas without judgement or criticsm. You know, the sort of friendly place where you could get help without people making you look stupid.

So get off your high horse for once and give the kid a break.
Bearded_Ste
View Profile
New user
Liverpool UK
30 Posts

Profile of Bearded_Ste
I carry props around in my pockets including pen tops, shoe laces, a large washer, a gambling chip and a finger ring. I also have elastic bands around my wrists. It's enough to do a whole close up show wherever I go.
Mark Levenson
View Profile
New user
New York
24 Posts

Profile of Mark Levenson
A bit late to the party but no one's mentioned Haunted Key in this thread, so I will. I don't present it as a trick, but as "one of the strangest things I've ever seen." Tell a story about finding it in my basement, etc. Always gets a strong response. And it doesn't need a table, which is a plus.

I also carry a ball and tube from time to time, with an extra ball bearing. Do a routine with appearances and vanishes of a ball, then do the shrinking, then produce as many balls from the tube as the traffic will bear. I have a set with a solid kicker, and end with that. It's archaic for magicians, but laymen seem to like it.
Mark Levenson
View Profile
New user
New York
24 Posts

Profile of Mark Levenson
Oh, and when I think I might have an opportunity to do something for kids, Rob Thompson's Pizza Paddle.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I always carry a few coins in different pockets, regular coins like quarters and pennies. I also frequently carry a pen with a cap on either end. I always have a couple rubber bands in my wallet. I often carry a stack of business cards that I can use for some pretty good mentalism.
KJ
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
I used to think that when I am going out socially I shoudnt carry anything with me. Until I started to make name for myself and started to be known at my area. So I am constantly meeting potential clients that would be easier to become clients if I could do something really impressive for them. So I started to plan ahead.

Since I always have my wallet and keys with me where ever I go I started to add tricks into them. However I decided that items cant take any real space or look like they didn't belong into my keys or wallet. So no clear magic tricks or packet effects.

In my keys I have Nick Einhorn Ring flight and Greg Wilson Freakey. I used to have ring flight reel inside key but it broke.

In my wallet I have Extreme Burn set and Changeling set giving me also 65€ of cash in case my debit card doesn't connect. Also there is David Ben credit card extension gimmick on one of my "bonus" cards. Few folded friction pen revelations in papers, business cards for variety of effects and since I had extra pocket in my wallet that I didn't use for anything I ordered extra expanded shell just for my wallet. And in that same pocket I keep double sided coin and bend coin now and then.

I can do pretty strong material out of my wallet and everything seems like it wasnt planned at all but it belongs to wallet anyway. 3 coins don't really take any extra space.

Juha-Matti
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
I'm taking so much with me all the time. Pen for penetration fire wallet TT staked deck and ID shell coin elastic loops and itr handkerchief and telethought used for business cards. I also have things that are in my jacket topit some pulls key bender and coin bender. I sure there is more but I don't know right now.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
merlinvh
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of merlinvh
A Deck of cards and two coins always in my pockets. Usually a Morgan and a Chinese coin.
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
It would have to be - Day One by Scott Cram.
Name a date and a year, I will tell you what day it fell on.
Plus display a calendar of that month if you wish.

It can be as simple as you want it to be.
For example this year ... next year ... or year 1800, 1700
The beauty is, people can check on their smart phones, and see it is "for real".

Does it get any better than this?
Absolutely ... you get fantastic test videos ... and more.

The price is an astounding $9.99 -an absolute steal!
https://www.lybrary.com/day-one-p-137029.html
CR_Shelton
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of CR_Shelton
Day for any date is my go-to impromptu routine as well, but I perform prop-less. Is "Day One" something you would actually carry with you that enhances the effect, or just a method to learn it?

I carry a TT always, and I use a versatile magician's wallet as my everyday.
An actor is a magician performing the illusion of reality.
www.ActingMagician.com
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Usually for me it is just a simple deck of cards and a Lassen Morgan Shell Set. Occasionally I will bring along my Lassen Walking Liberty shell set that I have a gravity flipper with and a slipper sam gimmick. I try not to overload my self these days.
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
In my pockets:
Left: Morgan Shell set in small snap purse
Coin Fusion (Wilson)
Right: Morgan CSB set in Quiver Purse

In my wallet:
Cool Cash
Volunteer Swindler
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1166 Posts

Profile of Russo
Note; I used to have people ALWAYS say "do a trick" over and over and over-- SO, I would ask THEM for a Coin or $ Bill - do an effct - then put the bill or coin into MY POCKET - when they asked - Waa - waa?? I'd say "I do this for a living - My Family Thanks You" -no more pestering- of course if they got MAD 0r was Bigger then me - I give it back L-O-L
donny
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado
263 Posts

Profile of donny
Some of you miss the point/value of this type of topic. I read this as "impromptu looking" and "for specific situation". Not when your spectators expect magic or when you pull-out a magic prop. Thus manipulating coin, card, caps or handkerchiefs doesn't apply. You get to use gaffs here, now how will you maximize them?

Not so far named:

Book test: Oasis - Glance - Ultimate Flashback or apps Zeno and Wikitest. Have someone test your "ability" at school or work.
Coins: TUC - Wong's 3 in 1 - Bite Coin (best gaff ever). Counting money at work? Show your mate oh this coin keeps doubling.
Cash: Mismade bill - Streamer from bill (w/ tt) - folded bill that looks like two.
Rings: Odyssey
Cards: Princess - app RA w/ appropriate stacked deck - Return flight - ID - Two card monte - NFW
App: iforce
Pencil: Prismatic Pencil (Lewis's)
Loops: lift - across. for Morelli's work
Misc: color change knives or lighter - Withdraw (cash from card) - Ya Ya vanish of cap - Ignition (key) - Ibalance - Titan's Finger - NUN - What Tha? or Little Hand - Rattled (Haus) - Cause coin to move in spectator hand via Bat device on wrist - Chop (Petty's) - Chop mug - Mojoe - Double Cross - Four Bean Trick
Oh what goodness listed above. My focus was "tricks for the stealth amateur", with the accent on "surprise" and use of invisible gimmick, in most cases. Maybe this list will help you.
My advice only do one trick or three tops, preferably two and don't make it "sting" too much. Some people do "cool" stuff to amaze people (and don't vie for power per se). That's you.
It's not their senses that mislead, it's their assumptions.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Tricks you carry--just in case (55 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL