The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Tricks you carry--just in case (55 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Sanks
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Sanks
Always have a stacked deck as well as double cross.

On top of this have wikitest and inject 2.0.

That’s a lot of magic I would say.
alan1954
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of alan1954
In my wallet:
Bill to Credit Card
Powerball 60
Business Card Printer
Mad Mage
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Mad Mage
Rubber bands (numerous effects)
Ring and string
Coins (Numerous - see BoBo)
Unharmed (Jay Sankey) in wallet
Extended Stay (Shawn F) in wallet
Business Cards (Numerous) in wallet
Mentalism - ID7, iCurveball, Watch Routine (Richard Osterlind), Other effects by Docc Hilford, Marc Spelmann, Richard Osterlind, Dereck Brown, Ken Dyne, and Banachek.

I never want to be without something, even if it's just coin under watch. As you can see, these are pretty much ordinary everyday objects to the lay person.
John Oaks
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of John Oaks
The coin bite is nice to have. Can pull it out anytime and then swap it for examination. Trouble is accidentally spending it.
I am still looking for one around the house. It has to be here somewhere!
Have a Magical Day!
------

I really didn't know how to explain it.
So I told them the truth, and they fell for it!
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2015 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Powerball 60, Organic Choice, and and an Equivoque routine ready-to-go.
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1166 Posts

Profile of Russo
Mentioned this befor - if you have someone who keeps asking --do a trick--do a trick--do a trick--ASK them for a coin or $$ - do an effect - then put the coin/$$ in YOUR POCKET- if they ask about IT!! say "this is my living and my family thanks you" - of course if they are bigger than you - just laugh and return it. L-O-L it has happened to me several times and IT works.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3509 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2018, Russo wrote:
Mentioned this befor - if you have someone who keeps asking --do a trick--do a trick--do a trick--ASK them for a coin or $$ - do an effect - then put the coin/$$ in YOUR POCKET- if they ask about IT!! say "this is my living and my family thanks you" - of course if they are bigger than you - just laugh and return it. L-O-L it has happened to me several times and IT works.

A friend of mine (may he RIP) would ask to borrow coin or a bill and before he would do anything with it would look the person he received it from, ‘Is this the ______ you just gave me?’ as he would be turning it over and looking them in the eyes. When they said yes, he said thank you, did the trick and pocketed it when done. He was a very likable and talented mage and he would have people come back and say do it again while handing him another coin or bill.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
YUP! Once again! It aint WHAT ya do, it's HOW ya do it!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
A haunted key, Psionic and B'Wave. Regardless of what I do, however, I always do an OTL with my business card. I'm going to leave an impression, then my contact info.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
CartoucheNL
View Profile
New user
Liessel, The Netherlands
38 Posts

Profile of CartoucheNL
Props, tricks, routines and what more I carry with me at all times (while dressed, that is):

SAW containing my Dutch version of Will To Read, business cards to use in combination with SAW, Powerball 60 (almost never perform it, but still).

Furthermore a st****d deck, some gaffs for Anniversary Waltz, marker for An Wal and for writing on the business cards, three rubber bands and Great Euro Hopping Halves.

Yep, even after being in this business professionally for over three decades, I still LOVE magic.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Spotty paddles
Crazy compass
B'wave
Psyfl
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Psyfl
Get Sharky. Quick and easy to perform but very effective.
kardistic
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of kardistic
I always carry a deck of playing cards or coins.
HeronsHorse
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
207 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
A deck of cards, a packet of cards preset up for a good packet trick, a gaffed card in the back pocket and about 6 old English pennies.
I don't buy tricks. I haven't found the need. Yet.
Quote of the Month
Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks are strangers to magic. Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained."
- S.H. Sharpe
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Paul! You cannot BUY or "carry" a TRICK! TRICKS, like music, only exist while they are being PERFORMED. If YOU perform the TRICK well, with a good PRESENTATION. you may ENTERTAIN the spectator. (The "MAGIC" only happens in the MIND OF THE SPECTATOR!!!)

You can BUY a PROP or a SECRET with which to PERFORM a TRICK.

Using a Violin, you can play a lot of music. With a generic PROP, like cards, or a coin, or a length of cord. you can PERFORM A "GEZILLION" TRICKS!

Despite Dr. A. M. Wilson's statement, MAGIC IS NOT INHERENTLY ENTERTAINING".
Doctor Zolar
View Profile
Regular user
El Paso TX
151 Posts

Profile of Doctor Zolar
Quote:
On Jan 9, 2019, Dick Oslund wrote:
Paul! You cannot BUY or "carry" a TRICK! TRICKS, like music, only exist while they are being PERFORMED. If YOU perform the TRICK well, with a good PRESENTATION. you may ENTERTAIN the spectator. (The "MAGIC" only happens in the MIND OF THE SPECTATOR!!!)

Using a Violin, you can play a lot of music. With a generic PROP, like cards, or a coin, or a length of cord. you can PERFORM A "GEZILLION" TRICKS!

----------------------

Oh, Dick . . .
if you can BUY a TRICK . . you can CARRY a TRICK.
Sometimes the package actually says: "________________ Magic Trick"
So, yes, you can put that . . .in your pocket.

If stopped and searched by the Police. . . they would OFFICIALLY REPORT . .
" Suspect was carrying a "Magic Trick."
the Judge or FEDERAL JUDGE would accept that as TRUTH.

Some TRICKS do not have to be performed. . . They can be just SHOWN to others at a magic club meeting and
maybe someone else. . . will perform the "Magic Trick" that YOU were carrying.

Unless the magic apparatus . . . just magically appeared and no one at the Magic Club was carrying the Magic Trick.
So . . "Someone" had to be carrying the "Magic Trick."

A "Trick" can be a noun or a verb.
HeronsHorse
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
207 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
Quote:
On Jan 10, 2019, Doctor Zolar wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 9, 2019, Dick Oslund wrote:

----------------------

Oh, Dick . . .
if you can BUY a TRICK . . you can CARRY a TRICK.
Sometimes the package actually says: "________________ Magic Trick"
So, yes, you can put that . . .in your pocket.

If stopped and searched by the Police. . . they would OFFICIALLY REPORT . .
" Suspect was carrying a "Magic Trick."
the Judge or FEDERAL JUDGE would accept that as TRUTH.

Some TRICKS do not have to be performed. . . They can be just SHOWN to others at a magic club meeting and
maybe someone else. . . will perform the "Magic Trick" that YOU were carrying.

Unless the magic apparatus . . . just magically appeared and no one at the Magic Club was carrying the Magic Trick.
So . . "Someone" had to be carrying the "Magic Trick."

A "Trick" can be a noun or a verb.

Oh dear.
Another p**sing contest.
You know what he meant though, right. Dick is only stating what the majority of magic books also state. Well researched and in many cases, authorities on the subject. But he must be wrong eh. Because you're right.
Pffffft.
I think Dick is belittling himself even entering into such 'discussions' when there are pedants around every corner waiting to pounce! His knowledge and understanding of what constitutes a trick far outweigh any stupid semantics contest.
IN MY OPINION(mustn't forget the disclaimer)
Quote of the Month
Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks are strangers to magic. Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained."
- S.H. Sharpe
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Thanks Paul!

Note that the 'good doctor' BEGINS with an "IF". The remainder of his 'argument', depends on that two letter word: 'IF'.

It's rather obvious, to me, that he does not understand the basic meanings of words like 'trick', 'prop', and, 'effect'.

In 70 years, I have worked 'behind the counter' in three magic shops. (ABBOTT'S, MAGIC INC. even the now defunct EdMar's. I KNOW that many. if not most, dealers, will try to inflate the ego of a new customer, by 'selling him a trick'. A dealer can only sell you the prop, or secret!!! It's up to the customer to PERFORM a trick with that prop or secret.

I have presented THOUSANDS of shows, coast to coast, and, border to border, for some challenging groups. I wonder about him.

I would ask the good doctor, 'how many shows, he has presented? (--and, where?) (not just a card trick for a friend or stranger.)
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
When I take the time to write what I wrote, I was not trying to make Paul look stupid. I was trying to help him, and other readers. (We old geezers are supposed to "help other magicians", by explaining basic things.

I have served as a mentor to dozens of young guys. Many are now full time successful performers. Paul appears to me to be intellectually curious. I respect that.

So, in future, I'll just use the PMs, and, ignore people like the doctor.
Doctor Zolar
View Profile
Regular user
El Paso TX
151 Posts

Profile of Doctor Zolar
Quote:
On Jan 10, 2019, Dick Oslund wrote:
Thanks Paul!

Note that the 'good doctor' BEGINS with an "IF". The remainder of his 'argument', depends on that two letter word: 'IF'.

It's rather obvious, to me, that he does not understand the basic meanings of words like 'trick', 'prop', and, 'effect'.

In 70 years, I have worked 'behind the counter' in three magic shops. (ABBOTT'S, MAGIC INC. even the now defunct EdMar's. I KNOW that many. if not most, dealers, will try to inflate the ego of a new customer, by 'selling him a trick'. A dealer can only sell you the prop, or secret!!! It's up to the customer to PERFORM a trick with that prop or secret.

I have presented THOUSANDS of shows, coast to coast, and, border to border, for some challenging groups. I wonder about him.

I would ask the good doctor, 'how many shows, he has presented? (--and, where?) (not just a card trick for a friend or stranger.)

---------------------------

There is no point of ANYONE posting their OPINION.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Tricks you carry--just in case (55 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL