The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Triple T.U.C questions (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
donny
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado
248 Posts

Profile of donny
Forget the Triple. Just buy a shimmed expanded shell (read no magnet[or you will have a problem]. yes to steel shim) and use with your regular TUC. Buy a boatload of TUCs and your parts WILL be interchangeable. Funsway is right, I think, get a few sun/moon types to maximize the effect. Anyone understand? I hope this will save you all some money and improve your magic. I'm out $120 for the Triple TUC Smile
It's not their senses that mislead, it's their assumptions.
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Veteran user
Arkansas (WooPigSooie!)
367 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
I’m happy with the Triple TUC. My only issue is a simple, smooth reset after “locking” the shimmed shell onto the front face of TUC. Having to “hiding away” to dislodge the shell from the TUC itself for reset is a NO GO for me! I will experiment with a magnet in my pocket that will attract the shiim shell and “repel” the TUC to separate them. I only do stroll & table magic that has quick/easy or auto reset.
Steph
WHAT IF you woke up tomorrow with only the things that you thanked God for today?
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Special user
973 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2018, donny wrote:
What you all miss: Triple TUC is a hair smaller than the standard TUC. Therefor, it won't play with your other shells and the parts aren't interchangeable between TUC types, when type of coin is considered. The Triple TUC is a mistake for this reason. My solution: Get TUCs if that's what you want and just add a properly shimmed shell to it, and thus DIY!
This and a Wong 3-in-1 are best coin gaffs. Next is Double Deception, then the rest of Oxf, then just a shell.
Who would argue?

Different TUCs are slightly different - over the several I've tried, some were interchangeable, and others weren't. I don't think that's particular to the Triple TUC. Both TUCs (not the third part) are also standard-sized half dollars - there would have been no reason to reduce it. But there is some variance in half dollar sizes, so perhaps that's what you're experiencing. It's also worth noting that "being a hair smaller" doesn't prevent use of shells - only being "a hair too large" would. Sure, the fit might not be perfect, but you typically won't get that unless you're buying a specific matched set of coins + shell.

All that said, it's possible to buy a shimmed shell separately, but you'll have to make sure the balance is right - it's why there's a difference between a hand-constructed triple threat and one that's been made so the connections aren't too strong or loose. Another option is to go for the shimmed slippery shell instead, which gives different kinds of possibilities. I know that was suggested long before the Triple TUC came out.

As far as favorite gaffs go, the ones you list are nice, but I'm not sure I'd agree with your claim. "Best is all relative", and subject to opinion. Maybe I'm a big fan of color changes, so I like C/S and Sun/Moon coins, instead. I'm no less wrong.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
7891 Posts

Profile of funsway
Some history and mystery (for me)
When the TUC first came out and I got involved, there were many queries to Marcello about other options such as ShimSlip.
At the same time other combo coins were being manufactured and hyped.
Communication has never been great, mostly language. I have never been sure about the accuracy of information from around the world,
i.e. a lot of magicians might say "wouldn't it be kool if ..." when they are not buyers or earnest performers.

Marcello has a passion for wanting to make things simple at a price most can afford. Methinks he tries placate everyone, confusing "Internet excitement" excitement over market research.

At his request I began exploring applications for a Shimmed Slippery Shell (ShimSlip) as an "Add On" to a TUC. It would fit on any TUC and also be shiftable to other coins.
I created several new effect base don using the TUC as a "resting place" for the ShimSlip until needed. I found little additional value for the triple split function.
Perhaps I am biased by not grasping the value added for an audience in such effects that cannot be gained by simple sleights.

To any persons discussing effects/techniques in "T.U.C. Appreciation" I also recommended they become proficient in dozens of TUC effects before adding and extra gaff.

I do not know where the ShimSlip morphed into the full shell sold as a Triple Unit rather than an Add On. Never got a good answer beyond "customer requests."
I willing beta tested the new product and submitted several effect to Marcello - no real feedback

So, despite my personal misgivings as to value (not just money), I will accept that the design and functionality is based on requests and feedback from many users and wannabe's around the world.
It is not for everyone. I suggest that a buyer have a specific need for the feature rather than some hope it will open new worlds of possibilities.
For those who just want anew toy I suggest getting the C/S version so that additional possibilities do exist.

Getting one is not "a mistake" if based on realistic expectations of how you plan on using it - but probably a mistake if based on someone else's imagined like/hate.
It is a tool. Don't buy a new set of metric wrenches if you do not own a car. Don't buy a rice maker and complain if it doesn't bake a cake.

as an additional thought. In all of the feedback I have received from "T.U.C. Appreciation" with more than 60 effects and some special techniques,
no one has ever listed more than six(6) effects that they do regularly. So, what are people looking for in and extra shell?
What want or expectation from their audience drives this need for a new gimmick? What effect were they performing before that did not get the response they desired?

With better info I might create some new effects of this device, or publish some of what is already developed.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
donny
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado
248 Posts

Profile of donny
Two gets attention, Three is WOW! Coins vanish, then change to different coin! - my favorite TUC effect.
@tonsofquestions: My outer [ on the TRIPLE will not fit over a normal size coin. A standard [ will not fit over the outer Triple [. Thus, maybe my Triple set is just smaller (un-intentionally) than my other TUCs.
Thanks for info.
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Veteran user
Arkansas (WooPigSooie!)
367 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
Donny, you are right. Triple TUC shell is “partially expanded” and the TUC is “slightly milled down”. I’m not sure WHY Mr Tango chose to do that; rather than a Regular TUC + Expanded Shell! This makes it unable to combine with other gaffs. When I first got it, I thought “I will replace his shell with my Expanded shell” then I found the TUC was smaller than a regular coin.
Steph
WHAT IF you woke up tomorrow with only the things that you thanked God for today?
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Special user
973 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
In an amusing coincidence, I was seeing a friend from my local magic circle tonight, who got the triple TUC a while back.
I asked to take a look, citing this thread, and this was not our experience. Regular coins fit in the expanded shell, as did my TUC.
I wonder if there's something different about newer ones (I recall Mr. Tango said he'd changed something), or the older TUCs.

Perhaps he'll chime in here with more detail.

If I can ask - when did you get your Triple TUC? Was it one of the early ones, or a more recent acquisition?
donny
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado
248 Posts

Profile of donny
Okay, I was under a false assumption based on the TUC coins I have (8 and one Triple). I had concluded that the Triple was a hair smaller than the regular TUCs. But given your reports, tonsofquestions, I have to conclude that this is not always the case and in fact, variance of both smaller/larger can occur.
Thanks much and sorry for the prior mis-information.
I purchased my Triple recently from H*cus P*cus, should that be meaningful to you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Triple T.U.C questions (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL