We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Peeks of Chaos - Two Peek Boxes (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheSecretFire
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of TheSecretFire
Hello! The "Peeks of Chaos" are two DIY peek boxes which allow you to show all sides of a card box before and after obtaining a full peek. The peeks are: "The Mockra Peek" and "The Meanas Peek".

- In "Mockra", you slide a billet/card into the box, and you get a full peek either right away, or you can set the box down and peek it later.
- In "Meanas", you slide a billet/card underneath the cellophane and get a full peek as you set the box down. I teach three moments at which you can obtain the peek.

More details and a demo are here, at the top of the page: http://www.wanderingmagic.com/products

And it should be noted: What you see in the demo is exactly how this looks in performance. I did not leave out any movements to avoid reverse-engineering.

Let me know if you have any questions, and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Also, if you'd like to give this a review (and get it for free), then shoot me a PM. I have 5 review copies available.

In Magic,
Tom Phoenix
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
2683 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
#2 Demo
Looked good !
Why call it common sense when it's so rare ?
MagicallyMe
View Profile
Loyal user
Manhattan Beach, CA
274 Posts

Profile of MagicallyMe
Looks good Tom. Can't wait to see the differences between this and skybox. (Other thread)
Dave the Knave
View Profile
New user
Cochise County, Arizona
67 Posts

Profile of Dave the Knave
They look good, and, I think, mendacity-free.
Stunninger
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
These peeks look great, Tom. Thanks for posting videos that show exactly how they look in performance.
TheSecretFire
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of TheSecretFire
Dave the Knave, indeed, they are free of all such mendacity, atrocity, and fallacy.

And Stunninger, yes, it irritates me when a demo shows a new method, except that it cannot be performed as it was in the demo.... it leads people to believe in the new method as being the ideal method, while in reality an existing method would do the same thing. So I like to show performers exactly what they're getting, not simply what "the spectators believe they're seeing."

Tom Phoenix
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3317 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I watched the four videos on how to construct and use the Mockra Peek and the Meanas Peek, both of which are included with the Peeks of Chaos. The first peek, the Mockra Peek, is a peek of a playing card or billet inserted inside a playing card box. The card box can be freely shown on both sides and in the process of putting the card box on the table, you get a full and clear peek of the entire playing card or billet. The construction of the gimmicked box will only take about 5-7 minutes. IT is very easy. I really like this peek. IT is direct, clean, easy to make and easy to use. The box cannot be examined, but the peek is done in a natural and motivated action of simply putting the box down on the table and you already have shown the box on all sides so the card box just a regular card box.

THe second peek is the MEanas Peek. Instead of inserting a playing card or billet inside the closed card case, you insert it face down in between the cellophane wrapping and the card box. The construction of this peek device is a bit more involved than the first peek. It should take about 15 minutes to construct. It is not difficult to make; just more time consuming. The box cannot be examined. The peek is also a full peek of the entire playing card or billet or a business card and is done while placing the card case on the table. In fact, you can have a delayed peek. Instead of doing the peek right away, yo ucan peek after the card box is put on teh table anytime you want to. YOu can show the front and back of the card box as well.

Both peeks are great! They are both easy to make although the Meanas Peek will take a bit longer to do. Even though I received a review copy, I would have been very happy to have purchased this. Tom's videos are thorough without any unnecessary fluff. They are simple and to the point. Highly recommended.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
1722 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I have long admired Tom's innovative thinking and ability to create something akin to DIY miracles. With a bit of effort, you can in effect create some practical gimmicks which rank alongside some which can cost quite a bit. And here Tom has created some excellent peek devices and which can be used in many different effects.

The video shows very clear instructions on how to make - both are straightforward - and with the added advantage you can adapt as need be.

I fully echo what Michael has written above and with this very highly recommended.

Neil
TheSecretFire
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of TheSecretFire
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2017, magicinsight wrote:

Even though I received a review copy, I would have been very happy to have purchased this.

Michael

Well, if you'd like to donate to the Tom Phoenix Bank Account Foundation, I'm sure they would be very appreciative! Smile
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3317 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2017, TheSecretFire wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2017, magicinsight wrote:

Even though I received a review copy, I would have been very happy to have purchased this.

Michael

Well, if you'd like to donate to the Tom Phoenix Bank Account Foundation, I'm sure they would be very appreciative! Smile

I'll run it by the Mrs.

While I cannot compare these peeks to another peek case that is currently being offered as mentioned in another thread, I really like these peeks, especially the first peek which is super easy to make, and the price is incredibly low.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
rjs
View Profile
Loyal user
241 Posts

Profile of rjs
I was fortunately given a review copy.
I would agree with Michael's assessment in his detailed review.

If pressed, I prefer Tom's first method as non-magicians might think that inserting a card into the cellophane is perhaps unusual.
But both methods seem to be clean and practical and the d.i.y. skills required to make the peek boxes are minimal.

Peek boxes can be divided into two main types - sliding windows (Bob Wagner's Card in the Window; Marc Spelmann's Glimpse) or opening doors (Peeks of Chaos).
Regarding the Spy Box, JM has come up with a new variant - the concealed slit. No pun intended. It's different from Tom's method. (And it's not the same as Bob or Marc's.)

All these peek methods seem practical. I would recommend magicians explore them all and then choose the one they most like..
wchoo002
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of wchoo002
For the 1st peek, what do I need to construct the gimmick?
TheSecretFire
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of TheSecretFire
Wchoo002, you need a card box, Mr. Exacto Knife, some double-sided tape, and a cake from the bakery. I'm being very serious.

Tom Phoenix
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Peeks of Chaos - Two Peek Boxes (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL