The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » "Vindicator" - A mental card routine from Ben Blau (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Sebastian Oudot
View Profile
Regular user
Somewhere Between Two Worlds
156 Posts

Profile of Sebastian Oudot
That's a great routine Ben.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1375 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2017, Sebastian Oudot wrote:

Thank you! I have some different ideas in terms of the specific handling that I might share at some point if people seem interested. Thanks for watching!

Ben
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Special user
Canada
931 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
@ Patrick: Cool beans. I suspected that this was the case, but just thought I'd ask. Thanks!

BTW, I do LIKE this effect. I think some people may have misinterpreted what I was trying to get across. I was more or less thinking aloud. The point was simply that I'd not had a chance to road-test it yet in order to make comparisons - that's all. Anyways, I like the effect enough that I sent Ben a nice little presentational touch. Smile

To add to that, if Patrick's idea for openly constructing a stack works as nicely as has been mentioned, then it would remove the only "niggle" I had - I will get around to ordering this eventually.
To purchase my released works, please visit www.curiousmiracles.biz
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1271 Posts

Profile of Claudio
I think that Vindicator would benefit from shortening the process between the card selection and its revelation. For wonderful, sleightless and stackless impossible locations effects, I recommend Steve Beam’s SACT series.

Instead of parading as an impossible location effect, it’s possible to streamline Vindicator and make it completely hands off.

The effect could read something like this:

A spectator cuts the deck into 3 packets, pockets the top card of one of the packets and reconstitutes the deck. Without asking any question or touching the deck , the performer, who had his back turned, reveals the selected card.

Basically it’s the same effect and procedure without the spurious shuffles and with no handling from the performer. No shuffling is required as the card is not in the deck anyway and the stack will be easy to put back together - if required.

In the scenario where the middle packet is chosen, like in the demo, a marked deck will tell you all you need to know, otherwise a simplistic sleight while casing the deck will.
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1709 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
Again, no marked deck is needed. Even if performed the way you mentioned above.
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1271 Posts

Profile of Claudio
I did not say a marked deck was required - as in the demo a p**k is all is needed and it's what I suggested in my original comment when I wrote "otherwise a simplistic sleight..." (rather than the obvious p**k demo'ed.) A stacked marked deck makes the effect completely hands off as the performer never touches the deck from start to finish.

I have not bought the effect, but the method is quite obvious to any magician who knows about the principle used. IMHO.

"Or Not" is not any more sophisticated either, but at least it's procedure free, or feels very much like it. Plus the performer does not ask any questions.

I like "Or Not" very much.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1375 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
You'd be amazed by how many people I've shown this to immediately tumble to "use a marked deck". Also, it seems that a lot of magicians have a phobia of anything that requires time, an investment of attention, and using one's personality to keep the audience interested. My routines are long on purpose. I expect my audience to pay attention, because I am sharing something important with them.

Anecdote:

My favorite jazz pianist, Keith Jarrett, has been known to walk out on his own concerts if he feels that his audience isn't paying close enough attention. Too many people think of Jazz as background music. In reality, it's something incredibly important, and worthy of the undivided attention of its listeners. I have the same attitude about my mentalism. I'm not trying to be a snob, but I respect both the art and myself enough as a performer not to throw away my power for an inattentive and unappreciative audience. If I don't get the quality of attention I feel my performances deserve, I don't perform in the first place.

I understand the commercial requirements that some performers have, but they have little to do with why I perform mentalism, and how I structure my routines. The obsession with shortening everything is not one that I share. Believe me, the majority of the hate mail I receive comes from magicians who complain about the length of my performances. If you don't like it, I have no problem with that. Knowing someone's card is trivial. Use your favorite method.

Ben
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1375 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
And, as far as the method being obvious to magicians, that is something that has never been an important consideration for me. Although I am capable of fooling magicians, I see it as a fruitless endeavor.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1375 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
By he way folks, I don't recommend performing Vindicator until you see or read the explanation. There are some variables that can occur which require a slightly modified handling depending on certain choices the participant makes. Patrick has the explanation footage. I'd like to see it myself (even though I was the one explaining it), but I never got the chance to look at the playback.

!!!

Smile
carlyle
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of carlyle
I liked the trick quite a bit, thanks for the video.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1375 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Quote:
On Jun 21, 2017, carlyle wrote:
I liked the trick quite a bit, thanks for the video.

Very kind of you to watch. I appreciate it very much!

❤️

Ben
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Special user
Canada
931 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:
On Jun 21, 2017, Ben Blau wrote:
Although I am capable of fooling magicians, I see it as a fruitless endeavor.

This. 100% agreement from me on that sentiment. Smile
To purchase my released works, please visit www.curiousmiracles.biz
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1418 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2017, Ben Blau wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2017, Sebastian Oudot wrote:

Thank you! I have some different ideas in terms of the specific handling that I might share at some point if people seem interested. Thanks for watching!

Ben

Yes, eagerly awaiting this one. The wait does seem rather daunting at this point. I'm sure that it will be worth it. I'm going to have to make due with what I've got already.
John
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1375 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Incidentally, Patrick has my blessings to release the explanation footage at any time he pleases. But since I gave this effect to him, it's his decision ultimately.
fasr eddie
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of fasr eddie
Great construction on this one Ben
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1375 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Quote:
On Jun 25, 2017, fasr eddie wrote:
Great construction on this one Ben

Thank you so very much!

❤️
adiabaticman
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California (East Bay Area)
121 Posts

Profile of adiabaticman
Very nice effect Ben. I remember you shared a demo of this sometime back. I really like it.
Watching those electrons dance on the adiabat, from Franck-Condon to the Asymptote.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1375 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Quote:
On Jun 25, 2017, adiabaticman wrote:
Very nice effect Ben. I remember you shared a demo of this sometime back. I really like it.

I did! I was a little more relaxed in that demo, but I made a few minor changes since filming it and the audio quality was poor. I wasn't thrilled with my performance on the current video, to be honest. I'm a little camera shy during a formal filming, and tend to stammer when I'm nervous. Sorry about that. Hopefully it wasn't too distracting. I also insisted on doing only one take. It would have been dishonest to do it any other way.

Ben
adiabaticman
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California (East Bay Area)
121 Posts

Profile of adiabaticman
Ben, I think the performance in this new demo was perfectly fine. No nervousness was apparent. I think that feeling of nervousness (if any) is only internal. I feel the same when I give talks at work. Other people say they didn't notice anything when I feel I was very nervous. I guess we sometimes evaluate ourselves more strictly than others.
Watching those electrons dance on the adiabat, from Franck-Condon to the Asymptote.
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1418 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
Quote:
On Jun 25, 2017, Ben Blau wrote:
Incidentally, Patrick has my blessings to release the explanation footage at any time he pleases. But since I gave this effect to him, it's his decision ultimately.

The last he told me on Sat. that was he holding onto it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » "Vindicator" - A mental card routine from Ben Blau (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL