The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » If Earth Vanished (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Jun 18, 2017, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 18, 2017, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 18, 2017, landmark wrote:
That's true for you, not for me.

My statement as worded is unequivocally true. Without e preamble "In my experience," it's either true or false. Not both, and not neither.

Again, "in my experience" is an admission that truth is subject to local conditions. That's what a person means when they say it's true for me.

It's not at all any such admission. In fact, it's quite the opposite.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
The problem of induction is a limitation of knowledge, not of truth.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Lobo that sounds interesting, please give a simple example of that sort of thing.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On Jun 17, 2017, tommy wrote:

Where is Jeff when we need him?

I'm just listening and learning.
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Jun 18, 2017, tommy wrote:
I love the idea of things of the spiritual realm existing even though it can't prove rationally. It makes me smile to myself that I am convinced that such supernatural forces exist and would do so even if Earth vanished.

What "supernatural forces" are you referring to? And what convinced you that they exist?

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
My innate intelligence.

Behold the killing of two birds with one stone.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Jun 17, 2017, landmark wrote:
Those Gods who were there before the Sixth Day...

Missed this quip first time through. Most excellent, landmark!
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Thanks.

Morality/God/truth/knowledge/induction/knowing/perception/existence/human: lots of opportunity for slippage and slipperiness there. I plead guilty (somewhat out of contrariness).

Just to clarify my general position about everything in the world Smile: I guess I'm some kind of phenomenologist. There's stuff out there, but humans certainly cannot access it. We mediate through our senses, but our apparatuses are not the same. Hence the need to act through some kind of consensus. The elephant in the room is the elephant in the room and we can't really say whether we are touching the tail, if that's what it is, because we can only describe through metaphor. To speak of "absolute truth" is fairly dicey because I don't think we have access to what the world "really" is. We can't know or understand it anymore than we can know or understand God.

So local truths, mediated by conversation to share points of view.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Sooooooo, we're screwed?
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I think we humans do remarkably well, considering.
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
Not to worry. "There may be billions of habitable planets in the Milky Way, which is itself just one of billions of galaxies."
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Jun 19, 2017, landmark wrote:
Thanks.

Morality/God/truth/knowledge/induction/knowing/perception/existence/human: lots of opportunity for slippage and slipperiness there. I plead guilty (somewhat out of contrariness).

Just to clarify my general position about everything in the world Smile: I guess I'm some kind of phenomenologist. There's stuff out there, but humans certainly cannot access it. We mediate through our senses, but our apparatuses are not the same. Hence the need to act through some kind of consensus. The elephant in the room is the elephant in the room and we can't really say whether we are touching the tail, if that's what it is, because we can only describe through metaphor. To speak of "absolute truth" is fairly dicey because I don't think we have access to what the world "really" is. We can't know or understand it anymore than we can know or understand God.

So local truths, mediated by conversation to share points of view.

I suspect that you and I may be close in our beliefs if not spot-on, but I may be mistaken. If that's the case (and it may not be), then I think your use of the word "truth" or the phrase "absolute truth" (which IMO is redundant) conflates things a bit. I would liken it to the following analogy (with respect to certain 'big truths'):

Two ants are looking up at two skyscrapers that differ in height by a few inches. The first ant claims that building A is taller (these are REALLY smart ants), and the second hand claims that building B is taller. There is only one truth. One of the buildings is taller than the other. One of the ants is wrong, and the other is right. The only "truth" is which building is taller. What you would call "local perceptions" (I believe) does not have any effect on "truth." It affects knowledge and perception. Or, perhaps more accurately, limitations on perception affect knowledge. But the fact that the ants do not know, and can never know, which building is actually taller doesn't change the truth.

Having said that, if the ants said, "Building A seems taller to me," and "Building B seems taller to me," then we would have a different situation, one in which both ants were correct. But notice that in this case we would have entirely different claims - claims about the ants' perceptions, not about the height of the building. It may be 100% true that one of the ants perceives Building B is being taller, but that truth has no bearing on the truth that Building A is actually taller.

NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:

How about the long run?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Jun 19, 2017, NYCTwister wrote:
Quote:

How about the long run?

The mortality rate is 100%.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
But the fact that the ants do not know, and can never know, which building is actually taller doesn't change the truth.

I don't have a thought out epistemology, but I try to understand and form my ideas in conversation as these. So here's what that comment makes me think about:

Each person only perceives a subset of what is out there and forms a story; dogs hear different music from us.

But you might claim isn't the summation of all subsets equivalent to "the truth"? I don't think so. There can be infinite subsets of an infinite set, all quite different. Evens, odds, do they know of each other?
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
Quote:
On Jun 19, 2017, NYCTwister wrote:
Quote:

How about the long run?

The mortality rate is 100%.

For now.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
They can both be taller than one another.

Tommy
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
Quote:
But the fact that the ants do not know, and can never know, which building is actually taller doesn't change the truth.

I don't have a thought out epistemology, but I try to understand and form my ideas in conversation as these. So here's what that comment makes me think about:

Each person only perceives a subset of what is out there and forms a story; dogs hear different music from us.

But you might claim isn't the summation of all subsets equivalent to "the truth"? I don't think so. There can be infinite subsets of an infinite set, all quite different. Evens, odds, do they know of each other?

If the subsets are perceptions, the summation of all subsets cannot be equivalent to "the truth" for a more fundamental reason: Not all perceptions are accurate.

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Jun 19, 2017, LobowolfXXX wrote:
... But notice that in this case we would have entirely different claims - claims about the ants' perceptions, not about the height of the building. It may be 100% true that one of the ants perceives Building B is being taller, but that truth has no bearing on the truth that Building A is actually taller.

I can nod along till the word "actually" - which is where some kind of magic is presumed to happen in the narrative.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
If anything, it's merely redundant.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » If Earth Vanished (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL