The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » DL (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1646 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
Around 3-5 years ago, my favourite go to effect was a card changing in the spectators hand using a DL.

However, in the last couple of years, Ive had many, mainly young people (15-30),calling me out and saying how I am using a DL and that htye learnt this from 'youtube'.

Have any of you had these problems?

sleepy
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Which type of DL are you using?
ssibal
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of ssibal
If they can spot it, then it means you are performing the sleight very poorly or you are using one of the numerous dl and turnovers that are completely unnatural movements and that even if you were performing it perfectly people would know what you did based on the unnatural movements.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I agree. A DL should be so fluid and look so natural, that even if someone knows about DL’s, they don’t suspect you did one. It should look exactly the way it looks when you turn over only the top card. Practice, practice, practice.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I'm going to disagree a bit. Once someone learns about the double lift they will offer that explanation any time a card changes face down. This happens even with very young kids when dad explains the move to them to show how smart he is. With youtube it will become more and moe common.

The double lift is still a powerful move but don't frame the move for your audience by doing it as an effect in itself.

It's exactly like the advice with a marked deck. Don't just start naming face down cards. That's too direct.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
pixsmith
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of pixsmith
What a book as venerable as Royal Road to Card Magic has to say about the double lift is so often forgotten, and that's a shame. Look it up, and I think you'll agree. Best advice about it there is.
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1646 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
Quote:
On Jun 18, 2017, ssibal wrote:
If they can spot it, then it means you are performing the sleight very poorly or you are using one of the numerous dl and turnovers that are completely unnatural movements and that even if you were performing it perfectly people would know what you did based on the unnatural movements.

They can't spot it, they just know how to do it. I've been doing the DL taught in the DVD set "royal road to card magic". It looks completely natural.

I just think YouTube is mostly to blame here, ever since I've been caught numerous times, I've just been using a top change which has flew past everyone I've done it for so far.

Sleepy
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1646 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
Quote:
On Jun 18, 2017, MeetMagicMike wrote:
I'm going to disagree a bit. Once someone learns about the double lift they will offer that explanation any time a card changes face down. This happens even with very young kids when dad explains the move to them to show how smart he is. With youtube it will become more and moe common.

The double lift is still a powerful move but don't frame the move for your audience by doing it as an effect in itself.

It's exactly like the advice with a marked deck. Don't just start naming face down cards. That's too direct.

Yes I agree with you and I think YouTube is really the main person to blame as 95% of the time, the person who catches me out says : "yeh I saw that on YouTube, cool trick though"

Sleepy
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1646 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
This is what my DL looks like for those of you who want to know

https://youtu.be/a8A0aVAeWlU
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Your first part is fine. Your get ready when you go to turn it back over flashes badly (to a magician) but it should fly by most laymen. You should be doing the second turnover exactly like the first.

Overall, I totally agree with MeetMagicMike, I get called a lot for double lifts and marked cards when I am not using either. I have even done an effect later for the same person using a marked deck or a double lift and not got called out. It is mostly the fault of this "I learned it on YouTube generation". I would not worry a lot but, do work on making your DL consistent.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
ssibal
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of ssibal
Quote:
On Jun 19, 2017, SleepyMagic wrote:

The problem is that it looks like a dl, so anyone that has watched a YouTube video explaining the move knows what a dl looks like. Those movements of turning over the card are completely unnatural, which is a problem with the dl and turnover. Look at your own video how you push off and turn over the single card at the end, that is the natural way of performing that action which if you compare to the sleight is a completely different movement. A spectator doesn't need to know what a double lift is to see that you strangely turn over the card at the beginning and then do it normally at the end of the video. This is not a problem with you per se, it is a problem with this sleight, the common methods just don't look natural.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
You look like a magician turning over a double with that move. Make your doubles look like singles, but also make your singles look like doubles.

Quote:
I just think YouTube is mostly to blame here,

If they are calling you out, it means they are more interested in, and satisfied by, figuring out your methods than watching you perform. That's a failure on the part of your presentation. They are not being engaged, so they think it's a puzzle they have to solve.

That's not YouTube's fault.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1646 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
I somewhat disagree because in every bunch of spectators there will always be that one who wants to show off to his friends and tell everyone how you do the tricks or how he thinks you do it.

No matter how hard you try to be entertaining, that guy will still be there

Sleepy
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Really? Because in the past 5 days I've done 10 or more performances and not one person was trying to call me out on anything. What they were doing was gasping, laughing, clapping, and staring with their mouths dropped open.

The idea that someone will always be trying to figure out your tricks is just a cop out from doing the work of making a better show. Even if you're openly admitting that you're just doing magic tricks, if you engage the audience and get them on your side so they are enjoying things and like you, then they do not try to figure out your tricks.

Like I said before and will probably say many times more: The audience does what they think will give them the most enjoyment and satisfaction. If they are trying to figure out your methods, then figuring out your methods is more enjoyable and satisfying than simply experiencing the performance. That is, in my mind, a failure on the performer's part.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Have you ever been accused of palming a card, when you haven't? I once heard a spectator suggest this quietly to his friend, and just let it slide. The rest of the spectators paid no attention. I agree with WitchDoc that most (with very few exceptions) spectators are there for the effect/performance. Lynn
James F
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1096 Posts

Profile of James F
Quote:
On Jun 19, 2017, ssibal wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 19, 2017, SleepyMagic wrote:

The problem is that it looks like a dl, so anyone that has watched a YouTube video explaining the move knows what a dl looks like. Those movements of turning over the card are completely unnatural, which is a problem with the dl and turnover. Look at your own video how you push off and turn over the single card at the end, that is the natural way of performing that action which if you compare to the sleight is a completely different movement. A spectator doesn't need to know what a double lift is to see that you strangely turn over the card at the beginning and then do it normally at the end of the video. This is not a problem with you per se, it is a problem with this sleight, the common methods just don't look natural.

Agreed! You turn over the card differently those 2 times. It should look exactly the same every single time. I never push cards off like that because I do a strike DL. So anytime I turn a card over, I mime the strike DL motion. Gotta be consistent every time.
Stperformer
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of Stperformer
If the heats really on as you're about to do a double ....you can substitute a Top Change. I do it all the time during my ambitious routine. You end up with the same result.

Done properly, your friends will have no idea what happened...even those that watch youtube.

A lot of the reason you get called may have to do with your body language etal. It's like doing a the pass. It doesn't have to be invisible/perfect but done at the right time, with a certain demeanor....it is invisible.
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1646 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
Thanks for all the feedback guys! And I mostly perform for school friends and that's where most of the "omg its a DL" comes from.... But still a lot come from when I work at restaurant's which is why I've exchanged the DL with a top change!

Sleepy
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Good luck with the top change. I seem to find it more difficult than a DL, needing a bit more misdirection. I thought your DL looked fine (esp if you do it the same way always). Stperformer's mention of body language perhaps should also include real language. Where are your eyes when you do the move, what are you saying? My suggestion is to not give up on the DL;esp since there are many tricks involving multiple card turnovers! Good luck, Sleepy. Lynn
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I think too that your audience may be part of the problem. Doing magic for school friends is different from doing magic for strangers. WitchDocChris has a good point but there are a couple distinct differences. He is an adult performing for other adults and you have (not alway but) less of a chance of them "wanting to show off by calling you out". Adults act differently in social situations and can enjoy being entertained especially if they are engaged. Older entertainers also have the advantage that there are still (5 or 6) kids on earth who were taught to respect their elders and won't interrupt. Being over 50 myself, I notice a difference although when I was in my 30's and table hopping full time, the massive amount of experience made me become more engaging although I still dealt with "call outs" working bar crowds (that is a whole different animal though).
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » DL (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL