We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » DL (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
2640 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Poof-Daddy sums things up nicely. Performing for friends at school is a really tough situation BUT that doesn't mean you shouldn't take all of the good advice given so far. Keep working on the double, it looks ok but can be improved. Keep looking for routines that use the DL but have enough other stuff going on so that the DL is not framed. Keep performing so the moves are so automatic you can concentrate on the people etc etc.

In my opinion youtube has exacerbated a problem but the problem has always been there. It's our problem to overcome. If you want to be a magician you have to know more than your audience.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
SimonCard
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of SimonCard
I have only seen two completely natural DLs and got fooled, Joshua Jay's and Ron Bauer's.
DL is the move once people know the concept, they will suspect it any time they see cards turned over; if they are half interested and practiced a bit, they will immediately tell when you execute a double. So don't always blame the magicians' techniques , because no matter how well you do it, some people can tell it. Also human has this nature of curiosity; we always want to figure out how things work. It's just some people have stronger curiosity than others; they definitely can enjoy the show, but they also are thinking hard trying to figure out how you did it. That a good show will limit your audience to enjoyment and keep them away from trying to figure out things is not true.
On your DL technique, my opinion is try to avoid the peeling action from the sides, also never hesitate in picking up the cards, you finger dropped once in the second DL.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
Fawn Grove, PA
1154 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Well, the run of shows I'm doing right now is at a fantasy renaissance fair, so the audiences are largely composed of later teens and early twenty somethings, with a healthy dose of under 13s as well. I also often focus on the under 13s for at least a couple portions of the show to keep them engaged.

I will agree that performing at school is definitely a difficult environment. Which is why I don't really recommend it, personally. But the situation is still the same - it's a matter of engaging the audience. With a high school environment you also have to make sure you're not being perceived as a threat to social standing - which is the vast majority of high school social dynamics: everyone trying to figure out where they belong, not being entirely comfortable there, and always vaguely worried that someone's going to come along to usurp them.

However, if you make yourself feel like a value to the audience, and that they are better for having the experience (rather than for busting you) then they will do everything they can to make it better.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Boffo: http://tinyurl.com/jlb4mbf
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Riding the Cancer Recovery Coaster into
3712 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2017, WitchDocChris wrote:
Well, the run of shows I'm doing right now is at a fantasy renaissance fair, so the audiences are largely composed of later teens and early twenty somethings, with a healthy dose of under 13s as well. I also often focus on the under 13s for at least a couple portions of the show to keep them engaged.

Glad to know you are working well with that age group. My previous statement was only an assumption, and now I remember what happens when I "assume" Smile
I do however stand by the "premise" for the most part.
www.shadowpest.wordpress.com <~~my cancer story

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
Fawn Grove, PA
1154 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
We are certainly in agreement that certain audiences do have inherent challenges, and high school students are one of them.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

orchid666
View Profile
Special user
u.k
625 Posts

Profile of orchid666
A double turnover is always gonna look like a double turnover I'm afraid. Does anyone here doubt their ability to spot even a flawlessly performed double being done in front of them? With very few exceptions, once you know how a double is done, it never looks the same as a single. May I suggest looking for an alternative? Maybe a top change, or depending on the routine, even roughing a coples of pairs in the deck? A roughed double thumbed off of the deck onto the table should get rid of most spectator suspicion! Or, something I've done recently is to use the most ludicrous flourishy DL I can find to seem like its simply a flashy way of showing a card, but would seem impossible to do with a doule card. A one handed 'Diving board' double has been very useful! ( was it Lee Asher who published this in a booklet years ago?) Maybe an upside to youtube exposure ( if there is one) is that we may all have to go the extra mile, and study some lesser known techniques in order to keep fooling the audience. Goodbye riffle force, It's been great knowing you! Smile
Kneill X
Stperformer
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of Stperformer
I watched the vid again a few time and I'm pretty sure what's happening. And it is real common amongst younger newer performer.

When you are doing the double lift...you are watching it. Can't see your head in the vid but I think it's a pretty good assumption.

I see a lot of people who have this sort of trouble....looking at the card as they are doing the get ready and turnover. Relax chat with your mates as you are doing the move and then draw attention to the turned over card.

Younger people have much keener eyes, hearing, and sense of motion...unlike some of us (including myself) more mature individuals Smile
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
Fawn Grove, PA
1154 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Quote:
once you know how a double is done, it never looks the same as a single.

Unless you make a point to turn over singles the same way.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

SleepyMagic
View Profile
Special user
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
930 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
Thanks for all the tips guys! And yes I've exchanged the double for a top change.

Regarding looking at the double, yes I do look at the double but only because I want to be sure I'm actually getting a double and not a triple or a single (which has happened to me at times).... But I will try and improve my technique so that I don't need to look at the cards!

Thanks
Sleepy
MY INK MOVING EFFECT:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8173

FORCE A CARD, SEEMINGLY PROPLESSLY:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8380
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1058 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Quote:
On Jun 21, 2017, Stperformer wrote:
I watched the vid again a few time and I'm pretty sure what's happening. And it is real common amongst younger newer performer.

When you are doing the double lift...you are watching it. Can't see your head in the vid but I think it's a pretty good assumption.

I see a lot of people who have this sort of trouble....looking at the card as they are doing the get ready and turnover. Relax chat with your mates as you are doing the move and then draw attention to the turned over card.

Younger people have much keener eyes, hearing, and sense of motion...unlike some of us (including myself) more mature individuals Smile

The eyes are indeed a big part of misdirection! The audience will be looking at the cards for sure, but not full-time if one makes some eye contact with the specs. Lynn
Ado
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
959 Posts

Profile of Ado
Quote:
On Jun 21, 2017, orchid666 wrote:
A double turnover is always gonna look like a double turnover I'm afraid. Does anyone here doubt their ability to spot even a flawlessly performed double being done in front of them? With very few exceptions, once you know how a double is done, it never looks the same as a single.

I would argue that a DL/DT does not always look like a DL/DT. Combined with some other movement, it can be indistinguishable from a single card. For example, I can count several cards from the top of a deck to show you the faces, and you'll never know which ones were doubles. In other words, it's not the DT/DL that's a problem. It's what you do with it...

P!
Koller82
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Koller82
Unfortunately the doubble lift is starting to get more and more known to the public. That's not to say that you shouldn't use it - maybe you are calling to much attention to it? How do you do your get-ready? That might also be a big tell for the audience if done incorrectly:)

Best,
Anders Mřller
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » DL (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL