The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Draven Reviews: The Gold Standard by David Regal (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

William Draven
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas, NV
486 Posts

Profile of William Draven
Title: The Gold Standard
Artist: David Regal
Producers: David Regal
Link: Available At Your Favorite Murphy’s Magic Dealer
Demo Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quz8FJiBrZE
Retail Price: $75.00 USD
Learning Difficulty: Easy
Length of DVD: 30 Minutes (Approx.)

David Regal has added his entry of Card To Impossible Location to the long list of performance plots with the inclusion of a plot that actually has a hole in it. David has set the Gold Standard for card to impossible location tricks with his unique and very elegant looking tie tack.

The plot is as strait forward and simple as it can get. A spectator’s selected, possibly signed, card appears impaled on the magician’s tie tack in a very visual, very sudden kind of way. When the card is removed from the tie tack there is a hole punched thru the card leaving one additional layer of subtlety that will confuse and confound the intelligent observer. The revelation of the card can take on different appearances, and the utility of the gimmick supplied almost beckons the performer to incorporate the prop into their own styles and handlings.

The DVD supplied is a brief 30-minute tutorial complete with live performances for a real working audience. The video is shot entirely at the world famous Magic Castle in Hollywood, California. David teaches the basic handling, and suggests that the trick can be also accomplished with other more advanced sleights. The learning difficulty of the trick really depends on how much time you want to put into the sleights and controls you use. At the core of the effect is a simple control, and a finger palm.

The construction of the gimmick is outstanding. This gimmick is going to last a lifetime. It looks elegant as well, which is an added bonus. Some magic gimmicks that are designed to mimic certain normal objects come off looking like a gimmick. The Gold Standard could be worn as an elegant tie tack, regardless of whether you plan to use it to do a card trick with it or not.

Performing with the Gold Standard is easy, requires very little awareness of angles (depending on which version of the revelation you are going for), and suitable for just about any occasion. As for card to impossible location plots, the Gold Standard is appealing because of how visual it is. Suitable for stage or close-up. Some selling points for the illusion to remember: Works with any deck, the selected card appears attached to the tie, and when removed has the added convincer of having a hole punched thru the card. The revelation is super visual. Easy to handle, and the learning curve is only as difficult as you want to make it. The Gold Standard should be in any card workers arsenal. It’s powerful, it’s fun, it’s elegant, and the selected card makes for a wonderful keepsake!

When I give my product scores below I am measuring them on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 Being absolute the worst score possible, and 10 being the absolute best, making a score of five average. The four points that I grade upon is Product Quality, Teaching Quality, Sound & Video Quality and Overall Quality.

Product Quality: 7
The price is on the upper end, but well worth it.

Teaching Quality: 8
It’s David Regal. It’s well taught.

Video & Sound Quality: 8
Not the best camera work, looks very self-produced, and David could have benefited from using a lav mic while recording, but it gets the job done.

Overall Quality: 8
A must have!

Do you have a product you want reviewed? Want to see if it will stand up to the Draven Seal of Approval? Contact me directly at thewilliamdraven@gmail.com to find out how your product could be on the next Draven Reviews! Don't forget to like my blog where all my reviews are posted at www.williamdraven.wordpress.com.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Draven Reviews: The Gold Standard by David Regal (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL