The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » 050: Character Development for the Solo Performer with John Pyka - Podcast (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

manofcards
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of manofcards
This week, John Pyka discusses character development for the solo performer. He talks about why it is important to have a character, how he came up with Big Daddy Cool, and teaches his 12 step program of character development.

For nearly 30 years, John has been entertaining audiences around the world with his distinctive theatrical fusion of vocal music, magic, and situational comedy with larger-than-life characters. He is an award-winning actor, singer, and magician who has appeared on MTV, A&E, ABC, PBS, and the BBC. He has also appeared with the touring production of the Broadway Musical Closer Than Ever and as Big Daddy Cool in the Off-Broadway production of Swingin' At The Roxy.

John has played some of the great characters in theater like The Cowardly Lion, Jud Fry, Rooster Hannigan, Marryin' Sam, Norman Bulansky, Buffalo Bill, and Mr. Bumble. He has created several original characters, including the 1940s swing magician Big Daddy Cool, the past-his-prime vaudevillian Uncle Eddie Sparks, and the World Heavyweight Champion strongman Johnny Awesome!

Listen on our website: https://wellattended.com/blog/050-charac......hn-pyka/

Or on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/well......37237847

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this episode!

William Rader
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Interesting podcast full of really helpful ideas for character development.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
William, it was great to be on the show and to share my experience!

And for everyone else, this podcast should be added to the top of your list of learning resources!
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Crazy timing... I was just re-reading your theatrical magic book when I was inspired to bump the "hotel 4-wall" Thread. I listen to all of the well-attended podcasts and looking forward to this one!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » 050: Character Development for the Solo Performer with John Pyka - Podcast (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL