The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Tamariz or Redford (33 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Rhu
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Rhu
I sent a PM to Patrick Redford about a week ago, but he has yet to read it..I couldn't find a PM address for George (Tait?).. I realize he's a supremely busy individual and I don't want to press the issue so I thought I would ask here in case anybody else could help me out in the mean time. Thankyou, I'll give the Memory Arts book a look and I just realised that Vanishing also have TOoO in stock..If you've read it would you say it was worth $95US to a beginner? (I'm including the postage - it's on sale for $59)
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1569 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
It is a great book. However, you should check out the performances of some of his routines on youtube to see if it's something you see yourself doing. $95 bucks is a lot of money for a book that just sits on your shelf.
Rhu
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Rhu
Thankyou that's great advice...I've had a look and I do really like the Temporarily out of order routine...it's beautiful.

However, I am really pretty new to magic..I only started looking at it about 8 months ago (maybe even a little less) and "Mentalism" or the more "mental" effects never really appealed to me. Obviously to be able to perform that routine as beautifully as Patrick does is appealing.

My reasoning for wanting to learn a stack stems from the fact that I have discovered that I get really bad stage fright.. I never really considered that I would, I've done my share of public speaking and not been overly affected other than the normal nerves associated with such a thing, but put a deck of cards in my hands and ask me to perform a double lift in front of people and suddenly my heart is racing, I'm shaking and the sweat is dripping off me fingers...So I figured I would look for some "self-workers" to try and get over the stage fright (which weirdly gets worse the fewer people there are, and mainly just with sleights) whilst practicing and practicing and practicing the sleight of hand so that I have a reasonable level of competence when the shakes and the sweating are a thing of the past.

I started playing with Si Stebbins stuff, some Lennart Green (Red/Black index for sure!), Ben Earles Red Herring..things like that and am getting reasonable reactions, for me the logical next step is a stack. Research led me to the Redford stack and the (relative) ease with which it can be moved between Stebbins, red/black etc. compared to others and I felt it would complement the level at which I find myself currently and allow (obviously) for far more complex effects as I go forward. Buuuuutttt, and this may just be a matter of presentation, I don't really see myself having the persona of "Mentalist". What constitutes a Mentalist, presentation techniques and how I develop going forward are obviously not topics for here. However, this is the reason why I find myself shy of spending $95 on the book before I'm sure of what I want. I feel learning the Redford stack though gives me options without having to learn two (or more) stacks.

Anyway, I think I'll think more about getting the physical book. The Memory Arts Redford edition may be the ideal compromise for now, even if it means I end up spending $120US in total at least I'll be sure it's for something I really want. If anyone wants to stick their two penn'orth (cents) in it'll be gratefully heard.

Cheers All
MorrisCH
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

Profile of MorrisCH
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2018, Rhu wrote:
I sent a PM to Patrick Redford about a week ago, but he has yet to read it..I couldn't find a PM address for George (Tait?).. I realize he's a supremely busy individual and I don't want to press the issue so I thought I would ask here in case anybody else could help me out in the mean time. Thankyou, I'll give the Memory Arts book a look and I just realised that Vanishing also have TOoO in stock..If you've read it would you say it was worth $95US to a beginner? (I'm including the postage - it's on sale for $59)

Hi

His latest penguin live lecture was devoted entirely to his stack
You can start from there without purchasing the book
Rhu
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Rhu
Thankyou, that's amazing....I'll be starting there for sure.
Steve Burton
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Steve Burton
My biggest problem with Redford's book, Temporarily Out of Order was the large number of typos and misspellings throughout the text making it difficult to read (he spelled Erdnase "Erdanse" not once but twice on the same page) as well as many other errors including crediting Hugard with Nikola's work in the effect, "A Subtle Game." A professional editor was definitely needed in this case and I'm offering this criticism in hopes that if the book is reprinted someone could have a look and correct the text.
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1227 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On Sep 30, 2018, Steve Burton wrote:
My biggest problem with Redford's book, Temporarily Out of Order was the large number of typos and misspellings throughout the text making it difficult to read (he spelled Erdnase "Erdanse" not once but twice on the same page) as well as many other errors including crediting Hugard with Nikola's work in the effect, "A Subtle Game." A professional editor was definitely needed in this case and I'm offering this criticism in hopes that if the book is reprinted someone could have a look and correct the text.

He also forgot a little thing when describing Bro. Hamman's Chinese Shuffle (won't work as described in the book)and then published a pdf with an errata corrige.

Mark
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
Quote:

Sadly when putting a book together like this one these things do happen. While several people did edit the book and magicians of the trade also had eyes on it before it went to print, we did have some thing slip through. We do have a revised edition that has been being worked on for some time that we hope to have ready soon. I know there are many people who are looking to add this book to their library since the initial run of 1000 sold out. I wish I had a timeline for when it will be ready but at the moment I don't.

The criticism is much appreciated.

-PGR
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1177 Posts

Profile of paperinick
Patrick is a clever devil, but so far the number one reason I tend to stick with Mnemonica is the fact that there are marked decks stacked already (you unwrap the deck, do a false shuffle and you are all set) and marked using mnemonica positions, which is a definitive plus.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
no2ss
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1027 Posts

Profile of no2ss
Count me in as someone hoping for the revised edition to come out... I've regularly used Mnemonica, and have read the Aragon book, but never actually used his stack. But the Redford stack is certainly appealing and would be interested in learning it, though the book appears to be totally out of stock.
PaulPosition
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of PaulPosition
Well I'm lucky as hell my local magic shop ordered it for me four months ago even when I didn't confirm (I'm short on money, what with going back to school at 40+...) Got some money, went online and "Oh no! I missed it like I missed Pit Hartling's !!" -- I asked the shop owner anyway, maybe he has secret contacts or whatnot. "I think I have it backstore", he said.

Yay!!

I'm still waaay too green in the fingers department to try anything off of it except Twain but it's been inspirational and is steering me toward different "moves" than the usual beginner's classics. Me likey!
ltrblst
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of ltrblst
Quote:
On Oct 3, 2018, Patrick Redford wrote:
Quote:

Sadly when putting a book together like this one these things do happen. While several people did edit the book and magicians of the trade also had eyes on it before it went to print, we did have some thing slip through. We do have a revised edition that has been being worked on for some time that we hope to have ready soon. I know there are many people who are looking to add this book to their library since the initial run of 1000 sold out. I wish I had a timeline for when it will be ready but at the moment I don't.

The criticism is much appreciated.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I'm interested in this stack and would like to know if the current version sold from Penguin is the revised one with the corrected chinese shuffle.

Thank you.
JimmyZeilinger
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of JimmyZeilinger
I saw this thread as I'm just about ready to learn my first stack. I gave Tamariz a try six months ago and found it a little bit difficult for my 57 year old memory. Perhaps I didn't spend enough time on it. Considering I'm a casual performer for non-magicians; a) what stack do you find easiest to remember, b) if I learn Redford instead of Tamriz do I give up the ability to perform any effects? c) not to confuse the issue too much, I've heard good things about Osterland. Thanks.
ltrblst
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of ltrblst
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2020, JimmyZeilinger wrote:
I saw this thread as I'm just about ready to learn my first stack. I gave Tamariz a try six months ago and found it a little bit difficult for my 57 year old memory. Perhaps I didn't spend enough time on it. Considering I'm a casual performer for non-magicians; a) what stack do you find easiest to remember, b) if I learn Redford instead of Tamriz do I give up the ability to perform any effects? c) not to confuse the issue too much, I've heard good things about Osterland. Thanks.

a) every "random" stack is equally easy/difficult to memorize. But sometimes you don't need to fully commit to memory every card at position and vice versa, it depends on how you will use the stack. I suggest to read the following very good essay An Introduction to Full-Deck Stacks.

For example up until now I've used an algorithmic solution, which I learned in just a few minutes, and was able to use effectively the very same day. If you are curious you can read about my journey to find an Easy to learn and use random looking stack

b) With Redford you will be able to perform the effects built in the stack AND those that are stack independent.

c) Osterling is a cyclical stack, very different, you can certainly memorize it but you won't have any additional benefits discussed in the essay above.
MC Mirak
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of MC Mirak
For somebody with no existing memory system (you should have one, pick up one of Harry Lorayne's books) and no desire to learn one, I'd HIGHLY recommend the Mnemonica Trainer from Penguin Magic. Really good way to learn the stack and get introduced to memory systems.

Mnemonica Trainer
Harry Lorayne's Official Magic & Memory Website

Harry Lorayne's site is updated since I've been there last.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
The Mnemonica Trainer may be excellent, I have no idea, but it's advertising is memory challenged.

It says, "But within the pages of Mnemonica, for as much brilliant magic as there is, there isn't any help given to memorize it!"

We must have read different books.

https://issuu.com/hermeticpress/docs/mnemonicatoc
magic soul
View Profile
Regular user
U.K.
104 Posts

Profile of magic soul
Hi. Although I have only flicked through it at the moment ( temporally out of order by Patrick Redford).
It seems he’s listed his stack and how to remember the card against the number like the nikola stack, but not how you would relate the picture back to the numbered position. Where the nikola system does.
I don’t get it
andy
magic soul
View Profile
Regular user
U.K.
104 Posts

Profile of magic soul
Please pm me an answer . Thanks
andy
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1174 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
I'm not sure what system Patrick Redford recommends to learn his stack. It's important to realise that you can use whatever memorisation system works for you. The most commonly used is the Master Memory System.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mnemonic_major_system

The Memory Book by Harry Lorayne covers this along with lots of other useful ideas.
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Best stacked deck?

A genuinely random shuffled deck that you memorize.

No one will be able to identify your stack.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Tamariz or Redford (33 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL