The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » WANDERFUL by Jay Sankey (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Not really a detailed review, here, but I do want to put in my two cents: I've wanted this effect since Jay released it, but so many dissed it. Well, it was on sale at one of the popular online magic dealers, so I pushed buy.

After I opened it, I was really impressed with the quality of the ropes, especially the thick, heavy black rope eye appeal. I made the white tips (I opted to paint them white instead of taping.)

I had a marathon magic event coming up (a business expo) where I had to perform close up for hours a day for six days straight for adults, kids, teens, and anybody who walked by my booth. WANDERFUL was one of my biggest hits! They loved it! They ate it up..

I have no idea why others have put this down. I got wonderful results from this. I am no longer going to do the standard professors nightmare. And I can tell you I have used p.n. for decades. From now on, it's either WANDERFUL or Dan Harlan's "The Awakening"
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Just to clear this up... does it contain enough rope to make the long rope finale? I've seen different comments. Always been interested myself, but hesitant based on certain comments and Jay's downslide of late. Thanks for the review.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Yes. He included enough to make the main effect, then there was enough left over for the long rope finale. He even tells you the exact length measurements to cut the rope. I had absolutely no problems with it. I painted the tips with white acrylic paint instead of using white tape.

I really don't see where the gripes come in on this. I think it has a lot more visual appeal than standard p.n. And all the kids I performed it for loved it after I got the patter down pat.
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1256 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
Maybe he has added more since complaints. My friend purchased it , followed the measurements and found it came up short. Glad it didn't for you!
Randy Burtis
Calgary's Kid Show Magician
www.calgarymagician.com
www.Facebook.com/calgarymagician
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Yup. It came out perfect.
shadowmanmagic
View Profile
New user
San Francisco
8 Posts

Profile of shadowmanmagic
I think some of the other comments I read are a blight on our industry in recent years. Back when we had good brink and mortar shops, we got used to walking in and asking our local dealer, hey what is this effect and they might perform it. Once we saw it in action, we purchased it. Then magic videos advertising effects came online and it was like being in the magic shop.. great for those of us who didn't have a local magic shop.

Sadly, today, those creating their demo videos don't actually show the effect they are selling.. Either they think it's a "Hollywood" movie, so they show things like, them putting on a necktie and driving a "rented" Porsche out of their garage, or a long camera pan of "The City" with them standing on some rock overlooking their domain, but still, where's the effect which earned them their car and fancy suit?? Oh wait here is a crowd of people around the performer in his bowlar hat and suit, maybe we have finally reached the demo part of this video, 20 minutes later.. "Someone runs away from the crowd with a bunch of bleeping overtones to edit the cuss words this effect has inspired." so nope, I was wrong.

On this particular video, Jay does what is his now typical demo format, where he talks about the effect and just cuts to parts of the routine, but no continual "magic shop" demo..

So, back to my original statement with Jay's format applied: I walk into my local store, Hey Joe, what's this effect do. Well Pete, I'm you asked. It's an effect with 3 wands of different length. Hey look out at the guy in the street, isn't he odd? (I look and look back and now Jow is in the stretching phase of the wands) Me: "wait, what did you do when I was ..." Joe: "did you see the new costumes we have just got in?" (I turn and look, when I look back Joe is holding a long piece of rope with what appears to be ends of the various wands attached in one long wand"

You get the idea? I do hope magic creators are one day going to get it too...

I realize you are either concerned that: 1 someone might seal your routine and apply it to their existing show. 2. The effect will be giving away if you saw the live demo. 3. Maybe this effect doesn't or shouldn't have a demo

We as a community can do something about this, but it would take a group effort to send a message upstream, but alas, the numbers are probably against it. It's like the poorly made magic which is being pushed on the masses at what shops are still with us and the fact that people will throw their money at bad magic hocked on the internet, shrug it off and maybe not get into this business or buy anything else, hey what the heck.. I made a sale.

As to the comment I ready that they guy has mouths to feed, so do some of us, the performers and we can't do that with inferior magic.
"Somewhere, there is a place between darkness and light, where illusion becomes reality... that's where I live!"
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Jay has just re-released this effect with ropes that are a little less thick.
Woodfield
View Profile
Special user
758 Posts

Profile of Woodfield
How does handle the ending where they turn into one long piece? Does he place them in a bag?
What does the audience see?
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I could tell you. I have the DVD, but I didn't explore that part. Since I just re-ordered the thinner ropes, I'll check it out and let you know. Remind me if I forget. I can tell you I had a lot of fun last year at the 4H fair with this effect. Kids loved it and I got a LOT of use out of it. Really adds a new dimensiin to the old P.N.
Woodfield
View Profile
Special user
758 Posts

Profile of Woodfield
Thanks.

I believe Cody Fisher also has a version with ropes as wands.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » WANDERFUL by Jay Sankey (3 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL