The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The slow, secret death of the electric guitar (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Music in general has become cheap. Our society consumes music the same way that it consumes fast food. Pick it up, consume without attention, throw it away. Repeat.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
This generation places no value on music.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2017, arthur stead wrote:

I have to say that isn't my experience here in NYC--I work with teenagers most days and music is a huge part of their lives.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2017, landmark wrote:
Quote:

I have to say that isn't my experience here in NYC--I work with teenagers most days and music is a huge part of their lives.

This is part of what I was getting at. It's valued, but in a "cheapened" sort of way. Music is everywhere, all the time. It has--for better or for worse--lost its elevated status as experience.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Ahh, the good ol days.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Quote:
Quote:

I was talking about a monetary value.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Allan Bloom, in his controversial book Closing of the American Mind, claimed that young people are "addicted" to popular music.

What he meant, I think, is that young people find music disproportionately important in their daily activities, but they are looking for a "fix" rather than learning to enjoy the more erotic subtleties of a music that has to be understood with practice and work. He was claiming that Mozart is superior to, say, Taylor Swift for the purpose of...say...improving the soul.

So, back in the day, one of my philosophy professors was talking about Bloom and attacked him by saying that Clapton proved that Bloom was wrong, because Clapton demonstrated a subtlety of tone and expression and...yes..soul improvement that was equal to that of Mozart.

The debate rages on!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I was talking about a monetary value.

Agreed about the monetary value. But that is largely a function of the mechanisms of capitalism, not young people. Technology has made music much more available. Hence the actual musician is less valued. Much the same has happened in writing where every two-bit Magic Café poster can have his own blog to spout his musings, memories, and magic. Meanwhile free-lance writers are having a very difficult time cobbling together a living.

But that said, the aesthetic standards and inventiveness (adjusting for Sturgeon's law, of course) are as high as ever. Same with magic as well, in my opinion.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
In Werner Herzog's movie, "Cave of Forgotten Dreams", we see a flute that's 10's of thousands of years old that plays a complete scale. The flute has undergone many variations, but it's still around. Yes, guitars, music, ... just about everything is commodified in today's world. And who knows how the electric guitar will fare 50 years from now? As far as the guitar market, the folk music boom of the late 50's was a huge boost to the guitar itself; and as I recall, this replaced the piano as being the "instrument in the house". But the piano is still there (in many permutations), and very much needed in several categories of TODAY's music. We'll never know the name of that flute player from 40,000 years ago; but I do appreciate the fact that this musician was around so long ago. Lynn
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
For there to be death, there must be life. What the article in the OP supposes to be the "life" of "the guitar" is actually just the gross over commercialization for profit. It is NOT the life of the guitar. It is something entirely different. And that something isn't suffering a secret death. It is just going through a natural financial phase of business. A business which over predicts its potential and over extends itself at the expense of its creditors.

The guitar is none of that.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
It is only the action that really matters – if there is no action then it is as dead as that parrot in Monty Python.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
"Never listen to electric guitar"

...to all the coins I've dropped here
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Related to the point about "over predicting its potential"; now is a good time to actually buy an electric guitar if you're thinking of seriously taking it up. A little caviat however... there is a LOT of product out there; so take a player along to help you evaluate your needs!!! btw Tom Cutts' post about going through a financial phase was spot on. Right now, there is a boom in sales of ukulele's at least here in the US; and who knows why?? Lynn
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Once upon a time I owned a good electric guitar, that was once owned a by a star, as I recall it was a base guitar, which I gave away to a friend who was in is a group. In my hands, the guitar, it was rather a noise than a musical instrument. Running a gaming house as I do, one ends up with a lot of “junk”. One will find a lot of guitars for sale, pawned, in Vas Vegas, going cheap.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Quote:
On Jun 29, 2017, lynnef wrote:
... there is a boom in sales of ukulele's at least here in the US; and who knows why??

Because of this:

Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
That's what I thought, too. Yay, Grace! Smile
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
The ukelele thing happened a number of years before that. She's a result, not a cause.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
She's great, but Brian Justin Crum was robbed.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The slow, secret death of the electric guitar (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL