The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Tricks to teach kids between 8-14 (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
But the thread did start out by asking for ideas for material. It seems pertinent therefore, in suggesting ideas for material (as I and others have done), that discussing the suitability of the material, and what makes it so, is a valid and reasonable part of the discussion. It might well help provide others inclined to help some kind of guide as to what might be suitable and not suitable tricks to suggest.

I realise the suitability aspect of the discussion might have broadened out more than you wanted within the thread... but if people have good reason for saying they think a suggestion is unsuitable, saying so within the thread seems to me to be more appropriate than saying so in another thread, if only to help establish where the boarders of the fuzzy line are for different people.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Sure, suggestions and opinions are fine. But when it becomes a forum for a few to attack, insult, and use sarcasm then it's neither helpful or constructive.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
Paul Budd
View Profile
Elite user
It's a shame he's only made
438 Posts

Profile of Paul Budd
Interesting fodder here. Man, the OTHER THREAD linked to via this one........that dude had a TOUGH ROOM to work, didn't he? Wow! Kids fresh in from magic camp! Sheesh! There's a fellow magi, lives fairly close to me...in those instances, he loves to say: 'One monkey don't stop no show!' (as the old country song goes...........) You know, honestly, I think at a certain age.........while the ego is REALLY starting to form, magic becomes a contest for a lot of kids......the magician 'fooled me' or 'didn't fool me'. I'd like to see/help with a really good magic camp sometime. The one I observed a few times was kinda sad.
His face isn't really this long in-person!
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
I am inclined to wonder at what point it is permissible to teach magic like sponge bunnies/balls that requires sleight of hand and presentation skills?

I mean, how does one learn magic today? How does one break into the group 'in the know?'

There are few bricks and mortar magic shops that young and aspiring magicians can frequent, and even if one could find them, the operators and patrons are, more often than not, snarky elitists. (See Martin Breese's forward reproduced here: https://www.lybrary.com/the-page-boy-speaks-p-85972.html It describes his first meeting with Pat Page at Davenports - one that would likely have put a less persistent person than Martin off magic (or at least magicians) entirely.)

So where does a serious student of magic learn his (or her) craft today? And does he (or she) have to have grey hair before he can begin learning?

I think that people like Danny are responding to a need today. Maybe he doesn't have it exactly right, and he will unlikely please every magician who believes that the fewer magicians there are the better it will be for his own job prospects; but Danny does seem to be responding creatively to a need.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2017, 0pus wrote:
I am inclined to wonder at what point it is permissible to teach magic like sponge bunnies/balls that requires sleight of hand and presentation skills?
w
I mean, how does one learn magic today? How does one break into the group 'in the know?'

There are few bricks and mortar magic shops that young and aspiring magicians can frequent, and even if one could find them, the operators and patrons are, more often than not, snarky elitists. (See Martin Breese's forward reproduced here: https://www.lybrary.com/the-page-boy-speaks-p-85972.html It describes his first meeting with Pat Page at Davenports - one that would likely have put a less persistent person than Martin off magic (or at least magicians) entirely.)

So where does a serious student of magic learn his (or her) craft today? And does he (or she) have to have grey hair before he can begin learning?

I think that people like Danny are responding to a need today. Maybe he doesn't have it exactly right, and he will unlikely please every magician who believes that the fewer magicians there are the better it will be for his own job prospects; but Danny does seem to be responding creatively to a need.

I will try to find time to respond to your post, soon. Perhaps, I can clarify a few points. (I worked behind the counter in three shops, EdMar (Norfolk, VA) Magic Inc.(Chicago) and Abbott's (Colon, Michigan) I was involved with the Blackstone Ring in Norfolk (young teenagers) and, have mentored MANY teens, including Doug Henning. I am at age 85, and, retired, now actively mentoring two young guys. On is 16 and has already had a scholarship to the Columbus Ohio Magi Fest, and the Tannen summer camp. He has pending, a scholarship to McBride's course.

The other lad is just starting the 8th grade, and is very promising. He asks intelligent questions, and, has just finished a two day "camp" at Rick Fisher's "FAB". It was "run" by Larry Wirtz, a professional with EXPERIENCE! At my suggestion, he is now studying Tarbell.

Neither of the two is "trick oriented". They understand S.H. Sharpe's philosophy!!!!!!!!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Part of what I do is teach theory and history of magic. Tricks are just tricks. Kids can learn that for free from YouTube, and apparently many do. What they fail to learn is the fundamental rules of magic. They can only get this from a dedicated teacher and mentor. Some magicians talk about how children show disrespect, or no regards to magic today, but only a few will actually do something to try and change that. Or, at least minimize it.

I am not trying to save the world of magic, but I am trying to better educate the children in my area who are interested in learning how to perform magic properly. Regardless of what a very few peers may think of me, it's not about them, nor is it about me. It's about the art of magic, and doing my part to preserve it, and make sure the next generation within my area have the best foundation to start from.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
vincentmusician
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
266 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
I got calls once in a while for private lessons. I also know some Magicians who offer classes to make money.
I do not bother anymore. When I was a boy. I saw someone perform a Magic Trick. When he showed someone how it was done I never looked at him as a Magician again. Everyone has a choice. For me, it destroys the illusion and wonder that Magic can create. I will never teach anyone how to do Magic again.
For me, Magic is so much better when you do not know how it is done. I also agree that teaching PN is a bad idea.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Tricks to teach kids between 8-14 (14 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL