The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Willard the Wizard (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Russo
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of Russo
Wife and I (Ralph & Ann) worked a season with Ken and Bert Griffin - along with an other couple Jack & Betty Deholt- Jack and Betty also worked with 'Willard' I think!- Lost contact with all(Ken & Bert, passed) - Anna and I also had a photo in Kens Book 'Illusion Show Know How' We were/are also a good friends with Bev Bergeron-and Les Arnold, whos appearing this Fri. on 'Masters of Magic - Bev and Les Both worked for and with us, as did Ken & Bert. Ralph & Ann (russo) Rousseau--- P. S. Blackstone SR. used to introduce us as Blackstone Jr. -because at the time('60s I and Jr. looked a like and at the time Sr. wasn't speaking to Jr.0
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1568 Posts

Profile of jakeg
One of our library branches has a copy of Step Right Up that I just reserved, but I have a suspicion that I read it many years ago.
Jake
When is this 'old enough to know better ' supposed to kick in?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
6631 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hey Rube!

Jake, I THINK that I've read it a dozen times! hee hee It reminds me so much of the days when, as a teen, I worked side shows.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1568 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I never did get to work a side show. In fact, I never took long term bookings that kept me away from the family for an extended time. I once had an offer to be a rodeo clown. When I saw the the size of the bulls, I came to the conclusion that those guys are crazy. (I never met a rodeo rider that didn't walk with a limp.)
Jake
When is this 'old enough to know better ' supposed to kick in?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
6631 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
!!!You made a GOOD decision!!!

I've clowned in a mud show, but rodeo (!) No thanks!!!

In '77, the show's clown left in mid season. I was on the advance, checking lots, ticket sales, etc. and bill posting, too. I think it was Fred Allen, who said: "A clown is a 'peg' that you hang a circus on!" I called a young friend, who had just graduated high school. I had been mentoring him for about a year. He came on, in 3 days!. He of course, had no act. I loaned him some old wardrobe, and, my make up box.

I had the "OK" from the owner, so I produced Jeff's act, as a series of "commercials" between other acts. I think I wrote up the story in my book. It WORKED! (So did Jeff!) The show didn't use seat butchers, and, the "premise" was a success! Novelties sales in the 'garbage joint" INCREASED!!! Ditto, food items! The "pitch" became entertainment!!! ($how bu$ine$$!!!)

Circus contracts always have a "clause": Be generally useful!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Willard the Wizard (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL