The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Opening restaurant trick (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
2021 Posts

Profile of warren
When it comes to opening effects I literally have to many to choose from however XB is a great way to grab peoples attention fast.....i mean who doesn't love money Smile
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2573 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jul 5, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
Chop cup.

I'm a perpetual n00b in magic so I don't want to suggest my word is gospel, but I would think chop cup is actually too strong to open with.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
18562 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yes noob might be a good way to put it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2573 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:

And that's what you chose to focus on? Do you think chop cup is or is not too strong for an opening effect? Why or why not?
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
18562 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If I thought it was too strong would I have opened with it for 30 years?

Again Ed it is about where you are doing it.

Don Alan felt, as do I that you need to grab attention immediately and announce your presence with authority. He often used the coat hanger from purse, but his first trick was invariably the chop cup because it did just that.

You only have about 7-10 minutes with these people. You need to make every one of those moments count. If the effect is strong enough it will grab attention and keep them wanting to watch in a very distracting environment. I never head anyone think a trick was "too strong" to open with.

Now others work in places where they are not announced, where they work before the food gets to the table, and all sorts of configurations. Does it work in every situation? Heck no.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2573 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
No that, rather than a pointless insult, is a legitimate response.
drmagico
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of drmagico
I start with the nudist deck. It is visual and fairly quick. The spectators are not asked to take anything or remember anything. My script allows me to develop a rapport with them and for them to get comfortable with me before I do anything more involve.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1116 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Well that depends on what kind of "chop cup" routine you are doing doesn't it. A chop cup can be small like the Loomis Riser one designed to be done in the hand. A slightly larger cup can be used to do a short routine designed to hit quick and establish presence as Danny put it. But then one could make the routine larger, move involved with multiple climaxes and use it as a closer. I used Jiggernaut as a closer years ago but I would likely use Axel Hecklau's Just a Cup as a closer if I worked restaurants now.

I think there is a case for either approach...

Quote:
On Aug 2, 2017, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:

And that's what you chose to focus on? Do you think chop cup is or is not too strong for an opening effect? Why or why not?
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science.
~Albert Einstein
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Opening restaurant trick (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL