The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Marijuana Decriminalization Leads to Violence...Reduction (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15456 Posts

Profile of tommy
Marijuana Decriminalization Leads to Violence...Reduction

And now for something completely similar:

A pill to enhance moral behaviour, a treatment for racist thoughts, a therapy to increase your empathy for people in other countries — these may sound like the stuff of science fiction but with medicine getting closer to altering our moral state, society should be preparing for the consequences, according to a book that reviews scientific developments in the field.

Drugs such as Prozac that alter a patient’s mental state already have an impact on moral behaviour, but scientists predict that future medical advances may allow much more sophisticated manipulations.

The field is in its infancy, but “it’s very far from being science fiction”, said Dr Guy Kahane, deputy director of the Oxford Centre for Neuroethics and a Wellcome Trust biomedical ethics award winner.

“Science has ignored the question of moral improvement so far, but it is now becoming a big debate,” he said. “There is already a growing body of research you can describe in these terms. Studies show that certain drugs affect the ways people respond to moral dilemmas by increasing their sense of empathy, group affiliation and by reducing aggression.” Researchers have become very interested in developing biomedical technologies capable of intervening in the biological processes that affect moral behaviour and moral thinking, according to Dr Tom Douglas, a Wellcome Trust research fellow at Oxford University’s Uehiro Centre. “It is a very hot area of scientific study right now.” He is co-author of Enhancing Human Capacities, published today (4APR), which includes a chapter on moral enhancement.

Drugs that affect our moral thinking and behaviour already exist, but we tend not to think of them in that way. [Prozac] lowers aggression and bitterness against environment and so could be said to make people more agreeable. Or Oxytocin, the so-called love hormone ... increases feelings of social bonding and empathy while reducing anxiety,” he said.

“Scientists will develop more of these drugs and create new ways of taking drugs we already know about. We can already, for example, take prescribed doses of Oxytocin as a nasal spray,” he said.

But would pharmacologically-induced altruism, for example, amount to genuine moral behaviour? Guy Kahane, deputy director of the Oxford Centre for Neuroethics and a Wellcome Trust biomedical ethics award winner, said: “We can change people’s emotional responses but quite whether that improves their moral behaviour is not something science can answer.” He also admitted that it was unlikely people would “rush to take a pill that would make them morally better.

“Becoming more trusting, nicer, less aggressive and less violent can make you more vulnerable to exploitation,” he said. “On the other hand, it could improve your relationships or help your career.” Kahane does not advocate putting morality drugs in the water supply, but he suggests that if administered widely they might help humanity to tackle global issues.

“Relating to the plight of people on other side of the world or of future generations is not in our nature,” he said. “This new body of drugs could make possible feelings of global affiliation and of abstract empathy for future generations.” Ruud ter Meulen, chair in ethics in medicine and director of the centre for ethics in medicine at the University of Bristol, warned that while some drugs can improve moral behaviour, other drugs — and sometimes the same ones — can have the opposite effect.

“While Oxytocin makes you more likely to trust and co-operate with others in your social group, it reduces empathy for those outside the group,” Meulen said.

The use of deep brain stimulation, used to help those with Parkinson’s disease, has had unintended consequences, leading to cases where patients begin stealing from shops and even becoming sexually aggressive, he added.

“Basic moral behaviour is to be helpful to others, feel responsible to others, have a sense of solidarity and sense of justice,” he said. “I’m not sure that drugs can ever achieve this. But there’s no question that they can make us more likeable, more social, less aggressive, more open attitude to other people,” he said.

Meulen also suggested that moral-enhancement drugs might be used in the criminal justice system. “These drugs will be more effective in prevention and cure than prison,” he said.

-Guardian News & Media 2011
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15456 Posts

Profile of tommy
Wake up America - medication time!
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On July 8, 2017 NYCTwister wrote:
But like many things it's illegality has nothing to do with how dangerous it is

This is a very sad truth.

This is something that TRUE capitalism (not the perverted crony version we have) would have dealt with naturally. The consumer would speak with their dollars, the profit motive would still reign - as it should, and the government could mind it's dammn business.

Until 1906 pot could be bought over the counter and there were no problems worth speaking of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_hist......es#Crime
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15456 Posts

Profile of tommy
No problems worth speaking of except for the millions in slums stoned all day and night and wondering why their children are starving but too stoned to figure it out or care.

Tommy
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2017, tommy wrote:
No problems worth speaking of except for the millions in slums stoned all day and night and wondering why their children are starving but too stoned to figure it out or care.

Now we have once normal people who got addicted to opioids, switched to heroin when they were cut off from their dealer, and are overdosing in front of their children.

I suspect that you've never tried pot, which is why your presumptions are all wrong. Not that that would stop you from stating those presumptions as facts. You do know that Reefer Madness is considered a comedy these days, right?
What's funniest about it is that all the things they wrongly attributed to marijuana, (sudden psychosis and the rest of the nonsense) are actually more like what happens to you with alcohol and prescription drugs.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15456 Posts

Profile of tommy
I suspect that I know more about pot than you will ever dream of.

Tommy
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2017, tommy wrote:
I suspect that I know more about pot than you will ever dream of.

Really? Then why is everything you say about it wrong?
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Great, now we have to ban chocolate.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/busi......92974f64
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26787 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Toxic beliefs and expensive legal melodrama.

We generally frown upon being impaired in public and especially when driving - so it's odd to fret the difference between one substance and another... okay - it's unproductive distraction.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15456 Posts

Profile of tommy
Since you don't now your ass from your elbow, how would you know what is right from wrong?

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15456 Posts

Profile of tommy
And now for something completely similar:

Erase painful memories: Scientific breakthrough could let us delete trauma from our minds
All of us have wanted to erase a painful memory at some point.
Now scientists claim they are on the verge of a breakthrough after finding a way to potentially delete trauma from our minds.
They have discovered a link between a protein called PKM and our recollection of disturbing events.
Their study, published in the Journal of Neuroscience, could have profound implications for war veterans, the victims of violent crimes and those suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.
Lead researcher David Glanzman, from the University of California, Los Angeles, said: 'I think we will be able to alter memories someday to reduce the trauma from our brains.
'Not in the immediate future, but I think we will be able to go into one's brain, identify the location of the memory of a traumatic experience and try to dampen it down.
'We can do this in culture, and there is no essential difference between the synapse in culture and the synapse in your brain.'
Professor Glanzman, a cellular neuroscientist, and his team reported that they have eliminated, or at least substantially weakened, a long-term memory in both the marine snail known as Aplysia and neurons in a Petri dish.
The researchers said they have gained important insights into the cell biology of long-term memory.
They discovered that the long-term memory for sensitisation in the marine snail can be erased by inhibiting the activity of PKM, a protein associated with memory.
The research could also help treat drug addiction, in which memory plays an important role, and perhaps Alzheimer's disease and other long-term memory disorders.
The researchers studied PKM in the marine snail, which has simple forms of learning and a simple nervous system, so that they could understand in precise detail how PKM's activity maintains a long-term memory, a process that is not well understood.
They looked at a simple kind of memory called sensitisation. If marine snails are attacked by a predator, the attack heightens their sensitivity to environmental stimuli - a 'fundamental form of learning that is necessary for survival and is very robust in the marine snail,' Professor Glanzman said.
They succeeded in erasing a long-term memory, both in the snail itself and in the circuit in the dish.
The researchers are the first to show that long-term memory can be erased at a connection between just two neurons.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a......nds.html

All the pot heads will feel that is wonderful because they can’t see past the end of their nose.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26787 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Great topic Tommy! How much do I have to smoke before others get less violent? Light one up for peace?

Stoner humor... sniff...that's not coffee.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15456 Posts

Profile of tommy
The more they smoke the more violent others get because the smokers become easy pickings. The fastest way to truth is to look to nature. Have you ever seen what happens to a stoned monkey?

Tommy
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5462 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2017, landmark wrote:
Let's defined "stoned" shall we? If stoned means getting high on marijuana, then "Many people kill people to get stoned. Probably daily," is a wild overstatement.

that's a big if. Here, let me play.
If stoned means getting high on drugs in general, then it is a wild understatement.
Thanks landmark, sometimes its fun to make silly posts.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6563 Posts

Profile of Dougini
As I light up a joint of fine King's Kush, I am reminded of why I never join these conversations! Oh. And I have learned: don't respond to tommy. He is just comic relief. I am really enjoying this. Do carry on...

:)

Doug
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3070 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
If I started using marijuana, would I have to change my name to stonedunhinged?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15456 Posts

Profile of tommy
Stoned is slang from 1930s meaning "drunk; intoxicated with narcotics" narco means "stupor, narcosis, sleep". There is nothing new about the sharps supplying narcotics to the suckers. In the 60s, the suckers were being fed narcotics by the CIA. When the sharps raise the sucker’s taxes and cut their services, etcetera, then what will the suckers be; on their fine King's Kush comic relief?

Happy suckers!

Tommy
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
801 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2017, NYCTwister wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2017, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2017, NYCTwister wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2017, acesover wrote:
It seems to me that quite a few of the "Pro Pot Group" took a hit before posting. Just saying. Imagine trying to have a discussion with these people when they are stoned and at their supposed best.

No matter how stoned they were it would be easier than talking to a Donny Tinahands sycophant. You'd have to keep pausing the conversation while they went to find out what they are allowed to think.

Just sayin'.

Smile Smile Smile

Save the question marks Ace old bean. You know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

I just don't get the connection. Do you have to be stoned to understand it?
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15456 Posts

Profile of tommy
The bad news is, if pot was unavailable, then potheads would choose other methods to alter their mental state to stupid but the good news is these pyromaniacs are less violent and happy. You know, I think some gamblers are funny, the smaller ones, they like to take a hit, like to lose, it’s a form of self-destruction. They like to wince and talk about their losses, never their winnings. You know, I think some Potheads are funny, the smaller ones, they like to take a hit. Such is life.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4568 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Jul 9, 2017, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2017, landmark wrote:
Let's defined "stoned" shall we? If stoned means getting high on marijuana, then "Many people kill people to get stoned. Probably daily," is a wild overstatement.

that's a big if. Here, let me play.
If stoned means getting high on drugs in general, then it is a wild understatement.
Thanks landmark, sometimes its fun to make silly posts.

Not a big if. Read what the OP was referring to. Not getting high on drugs in general. Marijuana. Slipping and sliding there.
"I use my five illusions to create the sense I'm useful to six."

You can read my daily blog at Musings, Memories, and Magic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Marijuana Decriminalization Leads to Violence...Reduction (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL