The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Han Ping Chien Help (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
7598 Posts

Profile of funsway
Many would not have the courage to use several HPC back to back. Exciting to watch and agree the timing of the hand showing is very important.

The employment of a contrasting 'attracter' seems to help. Do you consider this misdirection or directed focus? Other?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10490 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
THE GOSH PIEN CHIEN ICOINED THIS PHRASE

https://youtu.be/7AfAab4mBeg IT IS VERY DIFFERENT

VINNY
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
A corn field in WI surrounded by
879 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
Another critical factor is how each hand behaves immediately after each hand dumps coins. Notice that both hands after dumping the coins to the table move back an hit the table with a bit of a bump. That strongly suggests each is MT. And note that each hand performs in the same way. This mirroring helps in making the HPC action appear more natural. In most HPC routines, the keeping hand moves with gilt attracting the attention of the observer. This routine has so many of these points, getting them all is a bit difficult.

The real reason for putting this routine together was to showcase a different kind of HPC. Those in the know will say it is just an HPC. It is not. There is something very different about this version. It is so subtle one cannot see it. But it makes the HPC look much better.

Al
Magic Al. Say it fast and it is magical.
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Veteran user
prototype
356 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
Awesome idea Vinny! Totally invisible
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
639 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2017, Al Schneider wrote:
How does this routine look:

https://youtu.be/3wIWJ-cXjb4

Plain and simple because of Al's thoughts on magic, he is able to create what real magic should look like. The best part of the HPC in this routine is that it happens after the pick up. There is no extra show two here, open your hand, close it, then do the move. It looks as natural as you can get.
Wilktone
View Profile
Regular user
Asheville, NC
175 Posts

Profile of Wilktone
I've been quiet here because I've been very busy with non-magical projects lately, but wanted to thank everyone for the additional suggestions and examples. When I get some free time and can get back to practicing coin magic I'll be back to write about my progress and probably ask more questions.

Thanks!

Dave
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2662 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Jonathan Townsend's revolving hpc is worth looking over.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8657 Posts

Profile of harris
Was it Scotty York that also used a finger ring?
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26496 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2017, vinsmagic wrote:
This is several other ways using the han pien chien,
coins thru the table.
https://youtu.be/T9T8lU6hKxI

vinny

Those are fine demonstrations of the HPC stragegy. The third item looks like your take on the classic/original. The first item shown is a challenging approach. Kudos!
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26496 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 31, 2017, fonda57 wrote:
Jonathan Townsend's revolving hpc is worth looking over.

:) a first serious attempt at misdirection, motivating a sleight and changing the moment of a method.

context: Klause's Coins for Connoisseurs routine and be ready to seize the moment after the first coin has passed through the table.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10490 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Jon would this be considered a han pien chien or something else

https://youtu.be/XuFUjD86z84

VINNY
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
7598 Posts

Profile of funsway
It would simpler if HPC indicated an immediate display of a coin/object as if from one hand when actually from the other.

There are many exciting "toss" moves in which a coin/object is secretly transferred from one place to another - and Vinny has several

The OP discussed difficulty in getting HPC to work, and many have suggested using alternative moves, That doesn't make these alternative moves HPC.

What should they be called? Certainly, we can credit HPC usage in giving confidence to such moves, but the move illustrated above is not HPC. (opinion)
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26496 Posts

To my eye HPC is not the best description of your method. The original HPC sleight has the performer's hand moving away from where the coins are supposed to be. One hand moves out of the way of the other hand. There's a different action/focus in the turnover/slapdown sleight you sometimes see laymen doing - the coin tossed under the other hand.

Just as a thought experiment...Applying that perspective on the HPC action and your item:
After you put the coin under the card...table the deck to your right. Smile ...moving your right hand in gesture...then show your left hand empty after you wave both hands over the single card. Both hands are empty and the coin has travelled. Just for compare and contrast. Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26496 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 3, 2017, funsway wrote:
... alternative moves, That doesn't make these alternative moves HPC.

What should they be called? ...

Agreed. Dan Sylvester refined a billiard transfer into his "inertial transfer". There are other secret transfer sleights including the muscle pass from Buckley's book. Smile

Getting one hand out of the way while the other hand tosses/drops coins seems an okay outline for HPC/not-HPC...though if anyone has a better suggestion I'd like to hear it.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
7598 Posts

Profile of funsway
I came across a Scott Guinn effect description in which he uses HPC to switch a coin being placed in a spectator's hand.
This is a larger coin that seems to "explode" when it contacts the hand.

As it combines elements of a Point Transfer also, this approach could be used to secretly place a coin in their hand "other than expected" to be revealed later on.
Is the "instant reveal" an essential ingredient to HPC? The original intent of the move is to show two coins as being two coins (or any expected number).
Thus, its purpose is to confirm something known/inferred. Is that an essential element?

JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
545 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
Vinny, I really like your Gosh Pien Chien. Your misdirection is well thought out!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Han Ping Chien Help (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL