The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Card switches easier than the double lift (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
furmanmatt
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
217 Posts

Profile of furmanmatt
Hi Bob, you need to practice and perfect a usable DL. If you commit to a technique practice it regularly, every day, you will master it. There is no substitute for that wonderful move.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Actually, all those decades ago, I wanted to use my Scoop Change, Evolution of a Sleight and my Ultra Move wherever I could in place of a double turnover - basically what I had in mind was to fool magicians, since I always got a kick out of that! And I did fool magicians!!
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
So I guess those mentioned can be considered a "substitute." On the other hand, I did publish a few different "handling" for a double lift/turnover.

Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2832 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Harry, thanks for your suggestions. I actually own a copy of your book on your Ultra Move. After buying it I realized it was way beyond my level. (Drawback of buying on the internet.) Who knows, though, someday perhaps I'll be advanced enough to learn it...

In the meantime, I'll look again at your DL's in The Magic Book, which, as I mentioned in another thread, is a book that I love.

Best Regards,

Bob
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1033 Posts

Profile of Ado
I'd argue that what Dana said is also a good way to learn to do it improperly. I'd start by doing 1000 normal lifts (of all sorts), filming them, and only then working on the DL so that it matches the single lift.

Another obvious thing to do, it to learn magic that does not require a DL. There is a lot out there. You can make a living with cards and not DL.

P!
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2832 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Ado, I agree about the danger of ingraining incorrect technique. That's one reason why I'm so glad that Steven offered to Skype with me.

As for your second paragraph... Do you have any favorite effects (for beginners or so) that don't use the DL? I guess that's a different topic. Maybe I should start a thread, "Favorite tricks that DON'T use the DL."

Lots to think about here.

Bob
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1947 Posts

Profile of Claudio
The Wesley James & Tom Ellis Loading Move is actually an excellent substitute and is easy. I can't see what is difficult in its execution and is certainly much easier to pull off convincingly than a DL.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2017, Ado wrote:
I'd argue that what Dana said is also a good way to learn to do it improperly. I'd start by doing 1000 normal lifts (of all sorts), filming them, and only then working on the DL so that it matches the single lift.

Wouldn't it be more efficient to go the Vernon route and match his singles to whichever double he decides on?
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Jul 12, 2017, Claudio wrote:
The Wesley James & Tom Ellis Loading Move is actually an excellent substitute and is easy. I can't see what is difficult in its execution and is certainly much easier to pull off convincingly than a DL.

It's a decent move, but that's a pretty narrow range of contexts in which it can be used.

EDIT; I should add that, at least from a choreography standpoint, the Kardyro/Christ spread switch is a more viable option than the Smith/Ellis/James moves.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2832 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Claudio and Rupert,

Thanks for posting. This is definitely of interest to me as it addresses my original question.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I actually find a top change much easier than most DLs. It's a contextual thing and I use misdirection that causes the spectator to completely lower their guard.

When I do a DL, I use the Houdin get ready. At least, I think that's what it's called. You have to spread the cards and cut them, making it another contextual move.
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1033 Posts

Profile of Ado
Quote:
On Jul 12, 2017, Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2017, Ado wrote:

Wouldn't it be more efficient to go the Vernon route and match his singles to whichever double he decides on?

Yes and no. There are many ugly doubles out there. That's why I wrote "of all sorts": to figure out what's a good single lift for him first, something he wouldn't find suspicious himself.

P!
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2832 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi Alan,

I'm curious what kind of misdiredtion you use for the top change (a move I haven't learned but would be interested in learning if it's easier than I suspected)? I realize it may depend on the trick in which you're using it...

Also, would you mind describing the DL get-ready you mentioned in more detail, in a PM or whatever's appropriate? I've seen the Houdin get ready described (I think by Giobbi) as follows: remove the top card and show it, holding it in front of the deck so as to mask the deck while you get a break under the new top card. Then find a reason to put the original top card back on the deck, and you now have a break under the original top two cards. (Hope I have that right.) So I'm thinking that what you do is different, and I'm interested in knowing what it is.

Oh! maybe I just figured it out. Spread the cards, get a break under top two cards, and "unspread"?? If I'm right, do you give your audience a reason for why you're spreading the deck?

Thanks,

Bob
FalseDeal
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of FalseDeal
Look into Lee Ashers Diving Board Double, it's one of the more natural and easier DLs.
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1947 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Another very easy DL, already mentioned by Simoncard as "Thumb Count", is The "E.V." Invisible Double Lift, first described in Edward Victor's The Magic of the Hands.

It's easy and deceptive. In all versions of that DL that I have read, the thumb count is used as a secret maneuver. Except one, where the left thumb openly releases the top card and when the right hand is about to lift the single, the thumb releases a second card.

However I can't remember where I read the latter; if anyone knows, please post its source. Thanks.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2832 Posts

Profile of Bob G
I looked at some youtubes of Asher's DL, and it's *beautiful*. For people who haven't seen it, the magician launches the top card vertically upward from the deck; it goes about two feet up, and then comes down to rest on the deck again, face up -- and it's spinning around its long axis the whole time. This "lift" certainly convinced *me* of the card's singularity!

On the other hand, I can't imagine that the move is anything but hard to learn. I assume that I was viewing the "Acrobatic" version of Asher's move. There's also a simpler, nonacrobatic version, apparently. (Asher sells a 55-page e-book on his website that teaches both moves -- $20.) So here's my question for you, FalseDeal. I assume you were referring to the easier version? Can you give me an idea of what it looks like and what makes it easy? I've learned from experience not to spend $20 for a single move unless I have good reason to believe I can really learn it.

Anyway, I was very happy to become aware of the move and watch it.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Claudio: I taught that double (thumb releasing top card openly, etc) in my Ambitious Card Routine in C-UCM back in 1962.

FalseDeal
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of FalseDeal
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2017, Bob G wrote:
I looked at some youtubes of Asher's DL, and it's *beautiful*. For people who haven't seen it, the magician launches the top card vertically upward from the deck; it goes about two feet up, and then comes down to rest on the deck again, face up -- and it's spinning around its long axis the whole time. This "lift" certainly convinced *me* of the card's singularity!

On the other hand, I can't imagine that the move is anything but hard to learn. I assume that I was viewing the "Acrobatic" version of Asher's move. There's also a simpler, nonacrobatic version, apparently. (Asher sells a 55-page e-book on his website that teaches both moves -- $20.) So here's my question for you, FalseDeal. I assume you were referring to the easier version? Can you give me an idea of what it looks like and what makes it easy? I've learned from experience not to spend $20 for a single move unless I have good reason to believe I can really learn it.

Anyway, I was very happy to become aware of the move and watch it.

I was trolling. Just learn the Snap DL man. You can find a tutorial on the 52Kards site or Daryls Ambitious Card video. It's easy and reliable.
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1947 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2017, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Claudio: I taught that double (thumb releasing top card openly, etc) in my Ambitious Card Routine in C-UCM back in 1962.

Thanks Harry. I checked in my copy of C-UCM, and indeed it's where I learned that handling 35 years or so ago. You wrote: "This is a beautiful DL." I could not agree with you more. Furthermore, it's really easy and deceptive.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2832 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Harry and Claudio,

I guess that's Close-Up Card Magic? If so, this is really good news. I already own the book!

Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Card switches easier than the double lift (14 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL