The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » [Review] Perfect Square by JB Dumas and Michael Lam (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4080 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
I got the version that comes with 2 cubes, got it from the penguin expo. Only issue is the cubes that come with are a bit crap so doing the one handed movies becomes extremely hard to do smoothly line one would with a speed cube. Can be done, but a tad frustrating. Otherwise a fairly good product.
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1754 Posts

Profile of Daren
Best to use speed cubes with this in my opinion, I use a Dayan Zhanchi, works great!
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4080 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Thanks for the alternative, I will certainly get those now.
XaviumLord
View Profile
New user
Ohio
68 Posts

Profile of XaviumLord
Quote:
On Dec 18, 2017, Nathan Horne wrote:
Theory11 sells it now, comes with 2 additional cubes for $79,95

https://store.theory11.com/products/perfect-square


Theory11 ALSO states that this effect is super easy, requires no previous cube knowledge, and claim you can be performing this in an afternoon with a bit of practice. This rails against a lot of things said earlier in this topic. So, who's fibbing?
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1592 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
Quote:
On Dec 20, 2017, XaviumLord wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 18, 2017, Nathan Horne wrote:
Theory11 sells it now, comes with 2 additional cubes for $79,95

https://store.theory11.com/products/perfect-square


Theory11 ALSO states that this effect is super easy, requires no previous cube knowledge, and claim you can be performing this in an afternoon with a bit of practice. This rails against a lot of things said earlier in this topic. So, who's fibbing?


You don't have to know how to solve a cube. But if you mess up, you're screwed.

You can perform it within the afternoon, badly, but you can do it.
Get yourself the Flap Cards guide : http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4435

Make sure to check my review website, new reviews coming every week ! http://lesavisdalexis.wix.com/reviews
XaviumLord
View Profile
New user
Ohio
68 Posts

Profile of XaviumLord
Quote:
On Dec 20, 2017, Alex DLF wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 20, 2017, XaviumLord wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 18, 2017, Nathan Horne wrote:
Theory11 sells it now, comes with 2 additional cubes for $79,95

https://store.theory11.com/products/perfect-square


Theory11 ALSO states that this effect is super easy, requires no previous cube knowledge, and claim you can be performing this in an afternoon with a bit of practice. This rails against a lot of things said earlier in this topic. So, who's fibbing?


You don't have to know how to solve a cube. But if you mess up, you're screwed.

You can perform it within the afternoon, badly, but you can do it.


Interesting. This is a purchase on which I'm going back and forth based on how many conflicting reports I've read. The base effect looks pretty solid to me. I can solve a cube, but I'm certainly no sleight of hand pro. That said, the matching move doesn't look THAT difficult.
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
searching for the Magic Rainbow in
1507 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Quote:
On Dec 19, 2017, Nathan Horne wrote:
Theory11 sells it now, comes with 2 additional cubes for $79,95

https://store.theory11.com/products/perfect-square


Well since the explanation is re-filmed by Theory11, hopefully all filler and non-linear in original explanation video will be filtered out. Just wonder now they have different prices and different version so potential buyers should beware that as well.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag
Hong Kong made a page in FISM history in 2015, 2nd runner up in Parlour (Henry Harrius) & Card (Kelvin Chow)
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1111 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
Ordered through T11 * hope the 2 cubes that come with are the same used in the video... the one hand solve behind back seems very smooth.

Will give my opinion.
XaviumLord
View Profile
New user
Ohio
68 Posts

Profile of XaviumLord
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2017, Lseeyou wrote:
Ordered through T11 * hope the 2 cubes that come with are the same used in the video... the one hand solve behind back seems very smooth.

Will give my opinion.


Am I right in assuming an easily solvable permutation is taught in the T11 instructions to make that one-handed solve even easier?
santlerconjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of santlerconjurer
The Theory 11 sh**l looks like the stickers go into some sort of set of nine indentations rather than raised "cubelets". Is this a false impression? A bad impression due to camera and lighting, or is the sh**l made this way?

This is an important point. Indentations rather than raised cubelets won't look like a normal cube at all.
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1111 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
@XaviumLord - yes the one hand solve is included in the T11 instructions.

@santlerconjurer - weird cube T11 uses to promote this trick... in the video instructions the cubes and shell do not look they have indentations... if they have I'm sure I will send them back for sure.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11832 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Boy some spent $500 for Rubicon and the almost exact props come out for 79 and change. You want something to be exclusive....



Rubicon Owner Smile
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6563 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Is it just me? What is with the flood of Rubik's Cube stuff? I am baffled. But then...an ordinary Rubik's Cube baffles me. The Magic Shopper is presented with SO much...both junk and good stuff. There is NO exclusivity here! And, ya know...most of us have a coin shell. I have a Deck Shell. Hey, why not a Rubik's Cube Shell? Thing is...WHOSE? Does it "lock"? Does it have "moving parts"? Can ya do it openly, or does it need to be hidden? Angle problems? Discrepancies (all sides can be shown)? A Rubik's Cube! Why NOW all of a sudden? Smile

Doug
XaviumLord
View Profile
New user
Ohio
68 Posts

Profile of XaviumLord
Finally got around to buying this and, after watching the video, it does look really easy to perform. The Penguin reviews are making very little sense to me now..

"A tremendous amount of practice is required to perfect and execute this trick effectively."

No.

"Advanced understanding of both Rubik's Cube and sleight of hand are required"

I'm starting to wonder if we're even talking about the same gimmick at this point.

Granted, I purchased from theory11, so the teaching was very streamlined and efficient. A+ from them as always. But I am NOT seeing the difficulty here. It may be the case that I actually need to hold it all in my hands to understand this incredible "complexity," but this looks like some very basic stuff. Pretty stoked for it to arrive.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
2896 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
XaviumLord,

I disagree with you that the teaching is streamlined and efficient. Particularly when he shows how to mix the cube the teaching is HORRIBLE. He shows you from a side angle rather than over the shoulder. He shows you at a distance rather than close up. He does the moves slowly but then before reversing the moves he waves the cube around and it's tough to see whether he regripped it in a new position or not. I got three cubes hopelessly mixed up watching his explanation and now I need to solve a cube before I can try to learn this "simple" move again.

So....I agree that this routine is simple and does not require you know how to solve a cube. You can go online and there are programs that help you solve the cube if you get out of sorts.

But if only the teaching had been done better. Over the shoulder, close up, no extra waving the cube around. If they had done that I would be done learning that part by now.

I guarantee you that I can make a clearer explation video in 5 minutes than the one they supply.

But....It is a great trick and well worth the trouble. I am very happy with my purchase.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com



I took the Pledge
XaviumLord
View Profile
New user
Ohio
68 Posts

Profile of XaviumLord
Having some time to think about it, I do fully understand why some people would have issues with it. I went into this effect being new to Rubik's Cube magic, BUT knowing how to solve a cube in a few minutes. I can see why having it over the shoulder from the perspective of the performer makes way more sense, especially when they advertise "no previous cube skill required". I still think some reviewers blew the difficulty out of the water, but I had assumed they were talking more about the moves you have to make NOT relating to the solve.

So, really, the one-handed solve is actually the hardest part of this trick. It just came naturally to me for whatever reason. But yes: it is a fantastic trick. The look on people's faces when the cubes match is priceless.
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Is the number you're thinking of...
1362 Posts

Profile of elimagic
Does anyone know if the recently released RD NOrmal cubes released by vanishinginc would fit with this?
The size is 5.72cm cubed confirmed by customer support at VI
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3420 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Still loving this but I agree the teaching is mediocre at best. The teaching on the necessary move is very good and clear but the rest is all over the place. I have been considering the Mario Deluxe routine but have backed off because I'm worried the instructions re: how to get the 24 cubes into the necessary Mario formation will be a trainwreck to follow.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
2896 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Regarding magic teaching videos in general: What I routinely do is to rip the entire video to my computer in mpg format. Then I re-edit the video taking out all of the unnecessary stuff. Most "teaching" videos start with segment that is like a movie trailer selling you the product you just bought. (totally unnecessary). Then the creator introduces himself and chats a while (fine if you are into that but I'm not).

When it finally gets down to teaching there is so much meandering, sidetracking, and repetition that I can cut an hour long video down to 10 minutes without losing a thing as far as teaching the effect.

Oh and VIRTUAL ALL TEACHING SHOULD BE OVER THE SHOULDER IMHO.

This could be because there is demand for it. Maybe a lot fo buyers want to sit down and watch a "presentation" rather than the bare bones info that I want. That's fine but I wish they would include an edited down version for people like me. Even those who like the long format would probably appreciate the minimized one when they revisit the effect once in a while.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com



I took the Pledge
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
of the WI having made 5 tier cakes with
4053 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Jan 16, 2018, MeetMagicMike wrote:
Regarding magic teaching videos in general: What I routinely do is to rip the entire video to my computer in mpg format. Then I re-edit the video taking out all of the unnecessary stuff. Most "teaching" videos start with segment that is like a movie trailer selling you the product you just bought. (totally unnecessary). Then the creator introduces himself and chats a while (fine if you are into that but I'm not).

When it finally gets down to teaching there is so much meandering, sidetracking, and repetition that I can cut an hour long video down to 10 minutes without losing a thing as far as teaching the effect.

Oh and VIRTUAL ALL TEACHING SHOULD BE OVER THE SHOULDER IMHO.

This could be because there is demand for it. Maybe a lot fo buyers want to sit down and watch a "presentation" rather than the bare bones info that I want. That's fine but I wish they would include an edited down version for people like me. Even those who like the long format would probably appreciate the minimized one when they revisit the effect once in a while.


I'd buy that for a dollar!
Dave “SPARKY” Matkin

http://www.gofundme.com/MyMadTriathlon

Now AKA........
Smile “WHEELS” Smile
That’s the closest smilies to a wheelchair so I’m using them despite not having a horse ….. or being able to do the walking globe. Mmmmm can you do a walking globe in a wheelchair?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » [Review] Perfect Square by JB Dumas and Michael Lam (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL