The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » What are some good tricks to do with flouresent ribbon? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicstudent8416
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of magicstudent8416
Since I do dark and low attention span nightclubs most of the time I find it hard to get that initial interest in what I am doing unless something immediately catches their eyes.

I was thinking that flouresent/brightly colored ribbon could work well since it is unusual and draws attention and then after doing a couple of tricks with that I could move into conventional card magic. Another issue with doing cards before having them locked in is I find it precarious doing say flourishes to grab attention in a busy and jostling environment such that I am afraid of getting bumped into when someone is walking past and my cards falling everywhere. Once the initial interest is set I am thinking then I can ask for the compliance of gathered around so that I would not get bumped and/or getting them to come and move to a less busy area.

So what tricks would work for such ribbon? What area of magic should I look to for this? I presume rope magic would be the keyword?

I know it is possible to just avoid these situations completely but they are a really easy place to find large groups of people consistently so I think that the negatives are offset by the potential positives.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Suggestion: You need to do a little "brainstorming"!

Think in terms of EFFECTS rather than TRICKS.

The ribbon is a PROP. One uses a PROP to PERFORM a TRICK. The EFFECT is what the spectator PERCEIVES.

Read Dariel Fitzkee's "The Trick Brain". He lists the 19 possible EFFECTS: PRODUCTION, VANISH, TRANSFORMATION, TRANSPOSITION, LEVITATION, ANIMATION, RESTORATION, PENETRATION, ETC.

Then, consider what EFFECTS you can create with the PROP.

EXAMPLES:
ANIMATION--Serpentine Silk could be done with ribbon.
TRANSFORMATION -- Ribbon can change color.
PRODUCTION or VANISH -- Ribbon can be produced -- or vanished.
RESTORATION -- Ribbon can be cut & restored

CRITERIA!
EFFECT(S) MUST: BE VISUAL, VISIBLE, VERSATILE, ANGLE PROOF, WITH LITTLE OR NO SET UP, NEED NO TABLE. PROP MUST
BE EASILY TRANSPORTABLE (POCKET) i.e.: PACK SMALL & LIGHT.

You have some "homework" to do. (RESEARCH)

I have no idea of what your knowledge is, your experience is, or your skill level is. It appears, to me, that you are just beginning. I think that you should be reading TARBELL! I also think that you should seek out places to perform, where people are more "ready" to be entertained. ("One learns by doing the thing" --Sophocles)

REMEMBER S.H. SHARPE'S COMMENT:

"Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks, are strangers to magic. Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained."

Some people will give you a specific, commercial trick, or prop, suggestion. THAT, could become a rather expensive "trial and error" way, to answer your request.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Use fluorescent rope.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
You may check out ring leader by gregory wilson. However, Mr. Oslund has a much bether answer
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Well there goes Divk stealing all the thunder. But he's right. The OP needs to read
Hoffmann, Tarbell, Wilson encyclopedia, Dunningers encyclopedia

At the very least go to the library and tead the magic books in the kids section.

You may also use a ribbon as an adjunct to a trick without it being directly involved.
Example: String a long ribbon through the hands of 3 to 5 people which gets their attention. Between each trick or routine you cut it between each person. At the end of the set the pieces are either restored or they become s throw streamer.

Join a magic club for more personalized help.

If you have website or FB page you should add it to your profile to help us help you b
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Jay!

I now have a whole BAG FULL OF THUNDER! What the heVk do I do with it??? I'll write David Vopperfield. He might know!

DiVk

P.S.! When I was 13, I had "793.8", tattooed on my brain! Ottakar FisVher was very helpful, too. (also, Joseph Leeming, and "Alexander the MagiVian"). --Alexander has been blamed for helping me to beVome a magiVian!

SVroll down! (My Vomputer is haCing a problem!!!

I wrote that "stuff" so that some of those who read it may realize that it takes a bit more than "triVks" to "make" a magiVian!!!

I'm sure you know that Duninger's "EnVyVlopedia" was remaindered, baVk in the '60s, so, he will have a bit of a problem finding a Vopy. (I bought a box full, in a used book store, and gave them to FranVes Marshall! Jay laughed!)

BTW. I like your EXAMPLE! One Vould make a ten minute aVt into a full evening show, just by using a longer ribbon! (hee hee)

The OP could solve the problem of "my vards falling everywhere", if he used an electriV deVk, although I'm not sure if the deVk should be "Av" or "Dv"! (hee hee again)

This PS was fun to write!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Now you have me thinking about s busker or trade show stradigy.
Every 20 inches you tie a dollar (or more l) on the ribbon.

Now you hand one end to a spectator then you coral several more people by running a circle around them.

Your patter link could be "just hold onto the bill that's closest to you because at the end you might be keeping it.
(Lol)
But you still cut the ribbon between people in between routines so they don't feel trapped BUT they still feel obligated to stay since they are holding onto your money.
Needless to say that if you're at s trade show and everyobe is wearing a name tag you could easily step it up to 20s or even 100s. The higher the bill the more obligated the feel to stay put, and again, that's with a closed set where the attendees are known.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » What are some good tricks to do with flouresent ribbon? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL